marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I don’t like dance based cardio period.
Hear ya!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 09:12 PM  
ChelePA

They keep adding Zumba classes to my gym!!! I wish they would add a variety of classes. I don't like anything dancy. I've tried a few different ones. Not for me!!!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 10:02 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I LOVE dance-based cardio but I'm not a big Zumba fan. I tried some of the DVDs but didn't like any of the ones I've tried. I've found some YouTube instructors that I like, and for a while I went to a live class here that I just loved because of the instructor. She left and I tried other instructors and it felt like it was just a lot of butt shaking.

So definitely mixed feelings. But dancy and group are both fine by me, they just have to be something I like.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 10:18 PM  
bubbles76

I love most dance, dance cardio, hi lo...but Zumba is really hit or miss for me. At least the dvds are. Haven't tried a class I liked yet. I need cues. If I'm going to dance to music without cues, I'd rather freestyling at home. I don't have to pay for that. Or at a party or a club, when I can pretend nobody is watching. Of course, I AM paying for that, but at least I'm out with the girls. Oh, I also like group classes. It's the no cues thing.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 11:47 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Funny about the cues. I find I don't need them. I've become a fan of SHINE dance fitness, no cues. Same with Soul Sweat. I guess I've done dance type workouts for so long that an 8 count is burned in my brain and it takes only a few looks at the screen to figure out the pattern. Actually, most dance workout videos are repetitive--I just can't take the ones that are endlessly repetitive or TIFT-Y

Guess I figure it's also a good workout for my 64 year old brain to remember the sequences!

I find I need cuing more for step workouts though, but I have some of those memorized too. Interesting how we're so different.

Old 01-18-18, 12:11 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Ha, Jen, I cope with both step choreography and Zumba the same way. I am counting to 8 in my head over and over. . .

Most Zumba instructors I've taken class from have cued direction with their hands and between that and counting to 8, I'm good.

But I'd rather see a variety of options as well. How 'bout some good old-fashioned step, for instance? Or if someone taught a Leslie-esque walking workout, I'd be there. In fact, I've considered doing the Walk15 instructor thing and teaching my own! Not to make money, but to have a crew of workout buds.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:46 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Susan, years ago it freaked me out a little when I realized that counting to 8 was unconscious for me, now I take it as a gift! I just *know* when the move is going to change.

Old 01-18-18, 01:48 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Susan, years ago it freaked me out a little when I realized that counting to 8 was unconscious for me, now I take it as a gift! I just *know* when the move is going to change.
It also works with Classical Stretch and Essentrics, but only when Miranda stops blabbing and remembers to count. She is absolutely the worst counter in the exercise world.

Old 01-18-18, 06:45 AM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I don’t like dance based cardio period.
Ditto! I have two left feet and that doesn't help at all!
Old 01-18-18, 07:31 AM  
sherry7899

I love dance workouts and haven't clicked with Zumba either. It only took buying three different sets to figure that out! (sigh...) I'm not sure if it's the lack of cuing or the timing of the music they use. I can't get Latin rhythm right most of the time. I just don't find them fun. Interestingly, my parents were great at salsa, samba and merengue dance. I did not inherit those genes!

Like Jen, I can do Soul Sweat classes and catch on after a few times. Until Jen stated it, I didn't realize that those classes cue very little, yet somehow I can follow them most of the time. It wasn't like that when I first tried them, but I enjoyed them so much that I kept doing them and it got much easier.

I am way too shy for live classes, so that is out!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dislike, zumba