Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-21, 10:37 AM  
Negin

Donna, thank you for all those links. I'm going to bookmark them all to add to my list. You're always such a helpful resource. I agree with you and Beth. I believe that in my case, muscle weakness is a huge part of it. I'm trying to work on that.
Old 11-30-21, 10:42 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I have to put in a plug once again for Annie Pilates Physical Therapy on You tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnzads6O3w
I just did this one the other day. I added it to my rotation to do on a regular basis.
Old 11-30-21, 12:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

This isn't specifically for piriformis, but I did it just now and it felt really good for my hips!
https://youtu.be/6zZCVPxxYIw?list=PL...zT790bjTLug7jT

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 01:21 PM  
donnamp

Sometimes I think it is hard, even for PTs and other professionals, to know exactly what is going on - as I think some of the symptoms crossover between conditions.

I'm not sure what my deal is - I actually don't think it is piriformis - I did think it was SI at one point, but I'm not even sure that is true. I think overall, my glutes and hips are weak and not doing the work they are supposed do be doing and that is causing certain muscles to work harder and also affecting my movement patterns.

I do have a mild scoliosis and a tight QL - so that could be some of it, too.

But I think there is good crossover in many of the exercises so it may not be necessary to know exactly what is going on.

One thing I have learned to avoid is any self-correction of the SI - I think that is something that you need a professional to assess - to determine which way you are off. I did a self correction a few months ago that made it worse!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 02:57 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, is this the one you have tried?
https://youtu.be/4UoITjubrgE

I also have periodic issues on the right side, sometimes more in my glutes, but it also bothers me in the area of my right rear waist and right side hip. It was fine when I was visiting family for Thanksgiving but is bothering me again today - and I'm not sure why, since I thought sitting all day for work aggravated it, but I was off today. I don't think it's sciatica because the pain doesn't travel down my leg at all.

Negin, like you, I used to have mainly neck/shoulder issues, but my hips and side low back have been more troublesome the past few years. I do think sitting is a contributing factor but can't completely avoid that as a psychologist doing therapy. At least my issues are sporadic and not incapacitating. I hope we both get some relief from this thread!
Yes, that’s the video.
Old 11-30-21, 03:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Yes, that’s the video.
Thanks; I will try it.

I also tried this one that Donna linked to earlier today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnz...sicalTherapist

It was intense!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-01-21, 08:52 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
As well as these from Jessica Valent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83w1W1-BvEU

I think in my case my main issue is weakness in my hips and glutes that causes my lower back to take over for those muscles that are fast asleep.
Donna, I just did that one and loved it. That's the first Jessica Valant video I've done, and I subscribed.

Agreeing with you, at least that it's the case with me also, most probably weakness in my hips and glutes.

Quote:
I'm in more discomfort than acute pain.
Beth, my problem is, that sometimes I'm not sure if it's discomfort or pain. It starts off as discomfort, and as the day progresses, especially if I'm very busy and don't have much time to stretch in between, that discomfort turns into pain.

Hopefully, we'll all feel much better soon!
Old 12-01-21, 11:52 AM  
donnamp

That band workout is no joke! (On Annie's channel)!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 12:11 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Thanks; I will try it.
I think the figure four stretch lying down is what helps me the most. I do each side at least 30 seconds. Usually once is enough. I didn’t think I had sciatica, I didn’t feel pain in my leg. But these stretches gave me relief.

I don’t have any soreness when I’m not working out. Go figure! But this week I haven’t had any issues. I recently discovered that I arch my back and don’t have a neutral spine while exercising. I do have some scoliosis and hunch a bit, so I was focused on that. I was also engaging my abs. However, I didn’t realize I had some arch to my back until I did a search for pelvic tilt videos. I was trying to correct my form for ab work on the floor, as it makes my lower back sore. But it didn’t really help with that, however my pirifirmis soreness disappeared. So maybe it’s connected.

That’s why I can’t do Pilates, it always tweaks my lower back. I’ve tried the PT Pilates workouts, but they hurt my lower back too. So far, Dr Jo has been the best fit for me. Yoga is also good, it seems to relieve my soreness.
Old 12-01-21, 02:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, I have a deeper arch (lordosis) in my lower back too. I think that remembering to engage my core (I think about trying to draw my front two hip points together) is useful for me. I've actually been doing more Pilates over the past few months; I have tried some of the ones mentioned here but particularly like The Balance Life Pilates with Robin Long.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
butt/glute workout, dean pohlman, glute activation, hip and glute pain, hip pain, man flow yoga, nerve flossing, nerve gliding, pain relief, piriformis