Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-13, 08:25 AM  
sherry7899

suggestions for circuit workouts

I do not get in enough strength training, and I was thinking of doing circuit workouts three alternate days a week (M/W/F) and straight cardio two other days a week (plus fit in yoga wherever I can).

Can anyone suggest some beginner/intermediate circuit workouts?

I already have all of KCM's 30 MTF, a bunch of Gin Miller workouts, and Karen Voight's circuit workouts.

I don't want anything that uses a ton of equipment.

I am not a fan of the Firm workouts (which is too bad since that would offer a ton of options), Cathe (too advanced) or Jillian Michaels (ditto), or CLX (just gave my set away-too much shoulder work).

Is there anything else left

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 08:38 AM  
pollytc

Sherry:

I've been thinking about doing circuits a few times a week too, since I really want to drop some lbs and tone up! I do have Firms, but some others I thought I would mention are Michelle Dozois Your Best Body Breathru Circuit, JNL Fusions (you can modify these), Amy Dixon Women's Health Ultimate Fat Burn, KCM Circuit Burn. There are also lots of workouts that combine cardio with strength sprinkled inbetween. How about Jackie Werner? I had some of her workouts, but ended up getting rid of because I was sort of over her. But they are very effective!
Old 03-30-13, 08:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I did the Absolute Beginners Cardio Dance Interval Workout. In this case "interval" = "circuit". It's on the easier side, but it does work the muscles.

They aren't absolute circuit workouts, but I put Tracie Long's Leaning Out and Defined Lines in this category because they include both cardio and weights. Many of hers could be treated this way, but these are my two favorites.

Cardio and Strength Interval Circuit Workout by Angie Gorr shows three levels of effort. I almost kept this one, but had others I liked better. It might be worth you looking at though.

Fit to Dance by Christi Taylor is probably my favorite "light and fun" circuit workout. It has more of an emphasis on cardio, but does include some strength work.

Prevention's 3-2-1 workout by Chris Freytag is a well-structured workout. Also, her Walking Cardio Shape Up Max alternates walking segments with strength. I have this one, don't do it too often, but enjoy it when I do.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find stuff that works for you!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 08:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
Michelle Dozois Your Best Body Breathru Circuit,
How could I have forgotten THAT one. It's another one of my favorite circuits!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 08:42 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you both very much! I will look into your suggestions.

Sherry

Old 03-30-13, 09:31 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I would suggest checking out the Prevention workouts. 3-2-1 Circuit is one if my favorites. I know you didn't want a Cathe suggestion but Body Fusion is very doable and one I really like. There's also Cindy Whitmarsh 10 Days to a Better Body.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 09:46 AM  
PrairieGem

Did you see yesterday's thread, Looking for a Good Circuit? Lots of ideas there.
Old 03-30-13, 09:49 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I would suggest checking out the Prevention workouts. 3-2-1 Circuit is one if my favorites. I know you didn't want a Cathe suggestion but Body Fusion is very doable and one I really like. There's also Cindy Whitmarsh 10 Days to a Better Body.
I was also going to suggest Cindy's 10 Days to a Better Body. It is split up between upper and lower body, each workout is 30 minutes. You alternate between one minute cardio and strength intervals. The cardio starts out low impact but progresses to higher, I usually stay low.

I also like Stephanie Vitorino's Body Target 60. It has a 30 minute cardio sculpt workout plus three 10 minute add ons for abs, arms and buns. She has a low impact modifier for the cardio. I also like her Ultimate Body Shaper but it's more advanced, I have to dial down the cardio for sure as it's higher impact and she doesn't have a modifier in that one. That one is also split into two 30 minute workouts, one uses a high step.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 09:49 AM  
sherry7899

Gem-oops, I missed that whole thread! Thank you!

Thanks, Sabine and Tara!

Sherry

Old 03-30-13, 10:03 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sherry - Another vote for Prevention's 3-2-1.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuit workouts