Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-12, 03:41 PM  
Addicted2WO

My question is somewhat similar too. What is the difference between circuit training and supersets?
Addicted2WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 03:50 PM  
sunnyside

I think of Circuit Training as : Used for high Calorie burning. Mixing weights with cardio (or not) and doing more than one round of a select group of exercises. Maybe a short rest after each round.

I think of Intervals as: Cardio. More complex. Goal oriented. High levels of energy followed by medium to low levels of energy, followed by medium to high levels of energy etc. Varying in times and intensity depending on training goals.
sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 03:55 PM  
goldillocks

I find this article very informative
http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/art092899.html
In general "Circuit training has no rest periods as you go from one station to the next with the same intensity all throughout. In interval training, think "hard and easy" or "work and rest". In other words, intensity goes up and down. Cross training is simply doing a different type of exercise either on alternating days or during the same workout session"
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 04:03 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
I think of Circuit Training as : Used for high Calorie burning. Mixing weights with cardio (or not) and doing more than one round of a select group of exercises. Maybe a short rest after each round.

I think of Intervals as: Cardio. More complex. Goal oriented. High levels of energy followed by medium to low levels of energy, followed by medium to high levels of energy etc. Varying in times and intensity depending on training goals.
That's my interpretation too. I think the Firm AWT and Circuit are about the same.

Goldilocks~thanks for the clarification, that helps.
Old 01-25-12, 05:44 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
In general "Circuit training has no rest periods as you go from one station to the next with the same intensity all throughout. In interval training, think "hard and easy" or "work and rest". In other words, intensity goes up and down. Cross training is simply doing a different type of exercise either on alternating days or during the same workout session"
I've always gone by this definition, but many instructors confuse the two terms (IIRC, CIA was notorious for mixing up the two terms).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 05:49 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
This.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 05:51 PM  
lisarah

Being in the fitness industry, most peers of mine understand them to mean:

Interval training is simply a brief increase in the intensity of a specific exercise. Generally, this technique is applied to aerobic exercises like walking, jogging, running, and biking.

"Circuit" training is much different. Circuit training is an exercise routine that groups both aerobic and resistance exercise together in rapid sequence.

The article posted may say the same, I didn't have time to read it. Sometimes the terms are used interchangeably (if incorrectly).

HTH!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 05:56 PM  
hotncmom

So what are the type of workouts Zuzana does classified as? Say you set your Gymboss for 12 rounds of 50 seconds work, 10 seconds rest. You do 12 different exercises all out for the 50 seconds (pushups, pullups, squat jumps, lunges, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc.). It's a combination of strength exercises with cardio. Or something like 30 Day Shred?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 06:02 PM  
lisarah

From what I've seen, technically they are circuit training

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
Old 01-25-12, 06:04 PM  
lisarah

You can also think of interval training as the "hills" program on cardio machines at the gym. (at least it used to be called "hills", i haven't used a cardio machine in ages ).
ETA: I use the word "intervals" & "sprints" interchangeably in my classes to be more clear.

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology

Tags
circuit training, interval training