Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-11, 07:57 AM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Your welcome linda. Im glad this thread is going to help you. I have STS as well and I got a little creative with mine to make it circuit like. For meso 1 I would do the first 3-4 exercises then I would pause my dvd player and jump rope for 1-2minutes or hop on my elliptical or just do something to get my heart rate up. I would do this for 45 minutes and note where I stopped so the next time I did the workout I would start from that point. That way I got the circuit effect and was still able to use STS. I did this for Meso 2 as well but since the breaks are already incerted for you, thats when I would do my cardio work.
What a great idea! I used to this with the Tae Bo Lives on vhs and Slim Series on dvd. I would get my heartrate up working out to a Tae Bo live on vhs for five or ten minutes and then switch to working out to a Slim Series dvd to get some toning and would just go back and forth. It was kind of a fun way to work out.
Just wondering what sort of results you got from working out with STS this way? I have never used STS because of the lack of cardio.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 01:26 PM  
kariev34

When I did this (for about a month with meso 1) I leaned out a bit and dropped my last 5 stbborn lbs. I haven't done this in a while so mabe next week I will revisit it. It made the workout time go fast.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 11:40 AM  
willbefit

Bumping to ask.....

How do you break it up during the week then? A circuit workout and then cardio, then circuit, etc.? I really like doing circuits because I don't really like straight cardio that much but was never really sure how to incorporate them properly. Thanks!
willbefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 11:49 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbefit View Post
How do you break it up during the week then? A circuit workout and then cardio, then circuit, etc.? I really like doing circuits because I don't really like straight cardio that much but was never really sure how to incorporate them properly. Thanks!
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but most of my circuit workouts have cardio built into them. I might do a minute of cardio and then more strength training intervals without breaks, so my heart rate stays up.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 11:52 AM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but most of my circuit workouts have cardio built into them. I might do a minute of cardio and then more strength training intervals without breaks, so my heart rate stays up.
I think what she's asking is if you do circuit workouts every day or if you alternate between circuit workouts and cardio workouts during the week.

Marcy
Old 03-17-11, 11:56 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj476 View Post
I think what she's asking is if you do circuit workouts every day or if you alternate between circuit workouts and cardio workouts during the week.

Marcy
Ok, in that case, I do my "metabolic circuits" (or whatever they're called when they keep your heart rate up), and then on alternating days I'll do something different- either a different type of strength training like more functional training (like Ilaria's Atletica), yoga, barre, etc. or some fun cardio like kickboxing. I just try to do different things with my body every day.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 12:10 PM  
hotncmom

I just ordered Montenegro Method Endurance. Does that count as a "metabolic" or "circuit" workout? My intention is to do those 2-3 times a week for cardio.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 12:45 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
However since doing circuits, I feel my upper body muscles have definitely gotten mushier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I never had any use for circuit workouts until recently. I didn't like to mix my workout types because I figured you didn't get a good workout of either cardio or strength.
I feel like this too. I can't afford to lose any muscle, and I'm sure that if I limited my strength training to cardio/weight circuit DVDs, I'd lose considerable strength and muscle mass.

But since I started adding once-a-week circuit workouts to my gym-based heavy lifting sessions, I've increased my overall fitness, and leaned out a bit.

I was curious about the metabolic effect, then read here that it's been vastly overstated. And yet, I noticed that in one of the Amazon reviews for 10 Days to a Better Body the reviewer said that, according to her BodyBug, her heart-rate remains elevated for hours after doing the workout. Interesting...

Other benefits are that you get in some rotational movements which you don't get with conventional lifting (I love Look Better Naked! for this) and I've also improved my coordination and agility a lot.

Plus, circuit workouts are just plain fun!

I think it's good, physically and mentally, to mix things up a bit.
Old 03-17-11, 01:16 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
I'm doing pushup-heavy workouts (100-200 pushup variations in a workout, broken up in various ways) about 3 times a week, with a total of 4 circuit workouts a week.
I am doing around 100-125 pushups twice a week. I am telling you ladies, if you want your arms toned up, especially the triceps, pushups is the key. I never got my triceps toned the way I wanted until I incorporated pushups and got serious about it. And I am doing the Supreme 90 rotation but incorporate the pushups during the week.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 01:23 PM  
MM-Om

[QUOTE=icebergslim;1766504]
Quote:
I'm doing pushup-heavy workouts (100-200 pushup variations in a workout, broken up in various ways) about 3 times a week, with a total of 4 circuit workouts a week. /QUOTE]
I am doing around 100-125 pushups twice a week. I am telling you ladies, if you want your arms toned up, especially the triceps, pushups is the key. I never got my triceps toned the way I wanted until I incorporated pushups and got serious about it. And I am doing the Supreme 90 rotation but incorporate the pushups during the week.
When you say you do 100-125 pushups do you do them in sets like 10 or 20 and take a rest. Thanks

Tags
circuit, circuit training, circuits, results