Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-11, 05:33 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Hehe, of course I was gonna jump in on this thread...!

Circuit training has absolutely changed my outlook on fitness. I was already in good shape when I became a devotee, but the changes I've seen in my body since I quit doing all that standalone cardio and started doing circuit cardio/strength training have been unbelievable. I have no idea about my weight because weight loss was not one of my goals, but the clothes I've been wearing since high school fit perfectly. And, I'm more toned, muscular and strong than I've ever been in my life. People stop me and comment on my muscle tone. I do Zuzana's workouts (from Bodyrock.tv) and I beat her time and repetitions on almost all of them. I've been working out 5-6 days a week for 10 years, but with this type of training, I literally feel more vital and strong than I ever have before in my life, and I think I look my best.

ETA: Circuit/bootcamp training 4 x a week + strength or yoga or HiiT 1 x a week + gentler cardio 1 x a week
Thank you so much neatski for your response. Its very motivating. I had sucha lean toned body when I did my own full body circuits 3 times per week with some yoga and lighter cardio on opposing days. Then I found cathe and i switched to either full body weight training workouts or splits 3 times per week with 3 other days of cardio. During this time I thickened up a bit.

I haven't been back to doing circuits again but was thinking of giving them a try since I had good results previously with them. Do you have any dvd workouts in paticular that you like for circuit training? I do best following dvds.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 05:55 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Thank you so much neatski for your response. Its very motivating. I had sucha lean toned body when I did my own full body circuits 3 times per week with some yoga and lighter cardio on opposing days. Then I found cathe and i switched to either full body weight training workouts or splits 3 times per week with 3 other days of cardio. During this time I thickened up a bit.

I haven't been back to doing circuits again but was thinking of giving them a try since I had good results previously with them. Do you have any dvd workouts in paticular that you like for circuit training? I do best following dvds.
I think it's a very individual thing- some people have better results with one type of training, and others with another. I didn't like my results from barre or Insanity, either. I've pretty much been doing my own circuit workouts now, but my favorite DVD one by far is Paul Katami's Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4. I also like Cathe's Bootcamp. Once in a while, I do Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Bootcamp. If you think you could like paper workouts, too, you should also check out Zuzana's workouts at bodyrock.tv

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 10:59 PM  
nubiennelady

Neatski and others -

How are you defining circuit training? Back-to-back cardio and weights with no rest? I know about Bodyrock workouts but I'm not crazy about paper workouts was wondering if you could give some other examples? I think I'm confusing circuits with intervals/

Thanks,
Nubie
nubiennelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 11:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yes the definitions are pretty fluid, aren't they. I think of circuit training as both:
1) back-to-back cardio/weights (i.e Firms; Michelle Dozois' YBB and Peak 10), and
2) quick-moving strength circuits that create a cardio effect (i.e. Jillian's NMTZ; Kelly's NYC)

Does anyone have other or additional definitions?

I think of intervals as cardio workouts that rise and fall in intensity, like HIIT and similar. But I know some consider cardio/strength workouts to be intervals as well. Confusing!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 04:23 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I think of intervals as cardio workouts that rise and fall in intensity, like HIIT and similar. But I know some consider cardio/strength workouts to be intervals as well. Confusing!
Yeah, I've always considered interval workouts to be workouts where you do the same thing (i.e., cardio) at different intensities. Circuit workouts are workouts that alternate different activites (i.e., cardio segments alternated with strength segments). They are both good types of workouts.

To answer the original question, I never had any use for circuit workouts until recently. I didn't like to mix my workout types because I figured you didn't get a good workout of either cardio or strength. Recently, like in the last year or two, I've begun to do circuit workouts and really enjoy doing them. I also see their value more.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 05:12 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post

Kariev thank you for starting this thread. This is exactly my dilemma lately. I started another round of STS 2 weeks ago. I really love this set, but unfortunately, two weeks ago I also had to stop running due to foot issues. I can still do step, but it doesn't raise my heart rate like running does. Between lower intensity cardio and a 3-day workout split, I've also felt that "thickening" and to my shock, the scale has shot up drammatically. I am also considering returning to a more circuit based rotation, but I hate to give up STS. I'm actually considering a 1 or 2 week switch off. I think Steakhouse girl did something like that with STS and P90X.

I've read about this before on VF: loving a certain style of workout that doesn't necessarily produce a result you want.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 07:06 AM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Kariev thank you for starting this thread. This is exactly my dilemma lately. I started another round of STS 2 weeks ago. I really love this set, but unfortunately, two weeks ago I also had to stop running due to foot issues. I can still do step, but it doesn't raise my heart rate like running does. Between lower intensity cardio and a 3-day workout split, I've also felt that "thickening" and to my shock, the scale has shot up drammatically. I am also considering returning to a more circuit based rotation, but I hate to give up STS. I'm actually considering a 1 or 2 week switch off. I think Steakhouse girl did something like that with STS and P90X.

I've read about this before on VF: loving a certain style of workout that doesn't necessarily produce a result you want.
Your welcome linda. Im glad this thread is going to help you. I have STS as well and I got a little creative with mine to make it circuit like. For meso 1 I would do the first 3-4 exercises then I would pause my dvd player and jump rope for 1-2minutes or hop on my elliptical or just do something to get my heart rate up. I would do this for 45 minutes and note where I stopped so the next time I did the workout I would start from that point. That way I got the circuit effect and was still able to use STS. I did this for Meso 2 as well but since the breaks are already incerted for you, thats when I would do my cardio work.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 07:28 AM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes the definitions are pretty fluid, aren't they. I think of circuit training as both:
1) back-to-back cardio/weights (i.e Firms; Michelle Dozois' YBB and Peak 10), and
2) quick-moving strength circuits that create a cardio effect (i.e. Jillian's NMTZ; Kelly's NYC)

Does anyone have other or additional definitions?

we are starting strength conditioning in fitness lab this week so we already read the chapter now we take it to the gym. they count pylometrics as a strength based workout (referred as a speed loading method along with kettlebells) so in a sense if you pair weight training with intense cardio like pylometrics (which obviously get your heartrate up) then it is pretty much circuit training. pylos still give you strength but also increase your cardio fitness so its a 2fer there!

otherwise for your strength based circuit its moving from one exercise to the next (i like to alternate lower and upper body exercises so one gets a chance to rest) without rest until you completed all the exercises in your set. take 1-2 min. (depending on your weights) and then do it again. the textbook only recommended 1-2 sets for GENERAL health and wellness but if you are seeking more specific goals then do more within your fitness level and attainable goal.

i won't get to do full on pylometrics until i reach my athletic training classes but it was a piece of information he wanted us to know b/c our final is actually making a fitness plan.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 07:48 AM  
melfitz

I've never really done circuits regularly. I'm doing Supreme 90 and it's mostly circuits (the way it's being defined here). Now, I can't wait to see how my body shapes up after 3 months of S90. Doing non-circuit workouts do make me look bulky and I've never really considered doing circuit training on a regular basis. Something new for me!
melfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 07:48 AM  
Tugger31

I enjoy circuits mostly b/c I cant do sustained cardio at any one time due to some knee issues. However since doing circuits, I feel my upper body muscles have definitely gotten mushier, so I either tack on one upper body part per day to whatever I'm doing OR I'll do Cathe's PUB, CTX or the 2 upper body Gym Style timesaver premixes back to back once a week or every other week.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuit, circuit training, circuits, results