Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-10, 11:53 PM  
RedPanda

Question Results from cardio/strength circuits?

I've just introduced cardio/strength circuits into my regime, and am curious about the results others have had.

I'm a heavy lifter at heart, so I'd never use this form of training for all my strength work, but I thought it would be fun to challenge my body in a different way.

What results have others had?

Increase in overall fitness? (I can't see how this wouldn't happen)

Strength/endurance gains?

Increased "metabolic effect"?

Do tell!
Old 09-21-10, 08:21 AM  
neatski

I did a few months of Jari Love several times a week earlier this year, particularly Get Ripped 1000 (definitely aerobic) and Get Ripped to the Core (somewhat aerobic), and I loved the results in general. I put on muscle- my arms have never looked so good- and I think I REALLY upped my stamina. I also gained a ton of strength, particularly for pushups. When I tried Insanity later this year, I breezed through my first Fit Test despite having never done any of the Insanity workouts before.

The only thing I didn't like (and ultimately what made me stop) was that I put on muscle easily in my lower body, and all those lunges and squats caused me to bulk up. But I don't think that happens to everyone. Besides, I was using two risers for GR 1000 and heavier weights than Jari for everything, which may have been a contributor.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 08:49 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am the opposite. I am a cardio & strength kinda girl! I am doing CLX right now, so this is different for me! I have always had excellent results from cardio & strength circuits! It is a great way to maintain weight, stay in shape and save time! I don't bulk, but I don't think this is something to expect from this type of training. As for the metabolism, it works for me. I have good muscle tone, and have never had any problem with weight maintenance doing this type of training. I think if you were out of shape, you would see an increase in overall fitness. If you are already in good shape, you probably won't see a lot of difference in this area.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 09:03 AM  
Vee

I havent tried it consistently in the past. When I did it for brief bouts, I thought it was fun but did not feel as effective as doing streangth and cardio separately. But that was purely perception.

I have only tried it when I was already in a "fit phase" of my yo-yo existence, so I cannot speak for results.

I am in a phase now where I am looking to lose some fat and build back some fitness, and have decided to give this kind of workout a shot. Waiting to see how it works too.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 09:18 AM  
PeakFitness

I've always been a traditional weights, heavy lifter, and at the beginning of this year I did a rotation of Pink Firm circuit workouts, and have been doing circuits of different instructors since then, all year, and haven't done anything really "heavy" all year.

Anyway, much to my suprise I found I really like it! I get more of a fully-worked-out feeling because of the cardio. And as far as increased fitness, there are plenty of advanced workouts that have tough cardio, like IDK, Cathe's Bootcamp, Get Ripped 1000, stuff like that. I can never even finish all the circuits in Bootcamp! You were talking about wanting a challenge, and this type of workout can *definitely* be a challenge! And that's where the increased endurance comes from.

Results: I don't think I've lost stregnth. I just started CLX yesterday for the 1st time so I'm just getting a feel for what I can lift at a slower pace right now, but I'll be picking a heavier weight next time cuz I definitely underestimated my stregnth.

And there was a vacation this summer, I gained 6lb! and lost it all when I got back home. I think it does have a good "metabolic effect" for me b/c it seemed easy to lose the weight. Other than that, I've been maintaining weight really good all year. And I still see my quads, which is what I use to judge my over "muscley-ness" - If I don't have visible quads I think, "Hey I haven't been working out enough, they've disappeared!"
Old 09-21-10, 09:41 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
And as far as increased fitness, there are plenty of advanced workouts that have tough cardio, like IDK, Cathe's Bootcamp, Get Ripped 1000, stuff like that.
Okay, I'm wracking my brain -- what is IDK? I can't bear to think there is a tough circuit I don't know about!

I love Circuit workouts, and right now that's the primary way I do strength. But, I do low weight, high rep when I do strength, so circuits work very well for me.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 09:50 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acescholar View Post
Okay, I'm wracking my brain -- what is IDK? I can't bear to think there is a tough circuit I don't know about!
I don't know?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 10:01 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I don't know?
Doh -- I thought that in my busyness I might have missed some hot new workout!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 10:12 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acescholar View Post
Doh -- I thought that in my busyness I might have missed some hot new workout!
Lol! Sorry, it was I don't know! Sorry I got your hopes up!
Old 09-21-10, 02:27 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
I've always been a traditional weights, heavy lifter, and at the beginning of this year I did a rotation of Pink Firm circuit workouts, and have been doing circuits of different instructors since then, all year, and haven't done anything really "heavy" all year.

Anyway, much to my suprise I found I really like it! I get more of a fully-worked-out feeling because of the cardio. And as far as increased fitness, there are plenty of advanced workouts that have tough cardio, like IDK, Cathe's Bootcamp, Get Ripped 1000, stuff like that. I can never even finish all the circuits in Bootcamp! You were talking about wanting a challenge, and this type of workout can *definitely* be a challenge! And that's where the increased endurance comes from.

Results: I don't think I've lost stregnth. I just started CLX yesterday for the 1st time so I'm just getting a feel for what I can lift at a slower pace right now, but I'll be picking a heavier weight next time cuz I definitely underestimated my stregnth.

And there was a vacation this summer, I gained 6lb! and lost it all when I got back home. I think it does have a good "metabolic effect" for me b/c it seemed easy to lose the weight. Other than that, I've been maintaining weight really good all year. And I still see my quads, which is what I use to judge my over "muscley-ness" - If I don't have visible quads I think, "Hey I haven't been working out enough, they've disappeared!"
Intriguing! I know what you mean about getting a "fully-worked-out feeling" from circuit training.

It's too early to say whether this style of workout has translated into strength at the gym, but I've already seen improvements in endurance and generally feeling a bit "fitter".

I don't want to lose any hard-earned muscle (I like to see my quads too), but I might think about taking a break from heavy lifting, substituting circuit training instead.

Thanks for the replies ladies!

Tags
circuit training, circuits, metabolic training