Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-09, 10:12 AM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I'm not disappointed with them once since that I never love any of her workouts at first. I do wish she would use someone like GREG (CIA) to film - Even with this series, the sound varies too much and the picture is somewhat blurry. Other instructors get this right from the start so it is definitely doable.

So far: Back Up - Liked it but I didn't use enough weight (8lbs) to get a good workout. Definitely has potential.
Staying Power - The med ball stuff in this one didn't get my HR up, (I used 6 lb MB)...Actually, I didn't break a sweat until the pushups. I've read that others liked it more the 2nd time around so I'm not ready to throw in the towel.
Step - Definitely noticed the Group Fitness Influence. The glitch was bizzarre. I can see that choreo hounds would not like this.
Defining Shape - Going to do today. Have big hopes.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 11:19 AM  
Nancy511

The only one I am interested in is the Step Workout...anyone want to elaborate on it's content and intensity? What about that glitch????

Thanks
Nancy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 02:13 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I haven't tried the step workout yet (nor seen the glitch -- hope to preview it today -- I've heard she's sending out replacements for it though later on).

I did Staying Power and I really liked the cardio. I can see how after doing it a few times, the cardio would get more intense because I'd know exactly what was coming and wouldn't waste any time making sure I was doing it right. It's not that there's any complex choreography, it's just that confidence that comes with familiarity, (then I could up the impact, do what needs to be done with the ball better, put more into the moves, etc.)

I really liked the variety of exercises she did with the ball and weights. I also liked the 4 limbed cardio at times a la old FIRM days.

The only flaw I noticed was the music being so quite and almost non-existent off and on throughout the workout. It didn't really bother me because I like Tracie's instruction so much, but it could have made it more motivating to have some identifiable music. It was low enough at times that I will actually consider playing other music to Tracie's cuing another time. The music on the cool-down was really nice, then I saw that the music on the Menu was even much louder than that! So I'm not sure why they couldn't keep it consistent.

I think I'll try the step workout tomorrow.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 02:19 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I liked them too. I agree that they're not a tough as what she's done in the past, but Tracie has a unique way of presenting even the most common moves and she gives the best form pointers in the business.

If you wanted something really intense, I can see where you might be disappointed in this series, but it's the right level for me.
Jane -- I was thinking the same thing. Some of the weight work pushed me , other parts didn't. The cardio wasn't tough, but my heart was up enough to make me happy. I've decided to give these workouts a true shot with a complete 4 week rotation because I can't count how many times I've sweated with Cathe's cardio or thought I'd die when I lifted weights with her, rotation after rotation, only to get very minimal results (rarely any weight loss). Yet, the FIRM always gave me great results. So we'll see what happens here with these.

-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
Old 12-30-09, 03:07 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy511 View Post
The only one I am interested in is the Step Workout...anyone want to elaborate on it's content and intensity? What about that glitch????

Thanks
I thought it was very reminiscent of Kathy Smith's earlier step workouts: more like a cardio/leg workout than a more choreographed step workout.

The glitch is a 3 minute segment where the audio and video don't synch up: somehow, a chunk of the audio track got repeated, so you hear Tracie say one thing, while she is actually cuing and doing something else (if you can read lips and follow her moves, it is doable). Funny thing, the same segment in included in the cardio premix, and there it is synched up right.

Anyone who got a glitchy copy will automatically be sent a corrected version when they are read (so you might want to wait to order until those copies are available).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 03:50 PM  
Soapmaker

I'm really confused reading these reviews. It is like they are written about a different set of workouts than the ones I got.

I wasn't thrilled with the clips but I decided to order to support Tracie. When I previewed them, I thought they were intermediate in intensity and had a lot of variety. When I did SP and BU, it was a whole different feeling. These workouts are advanced AWT a la classic Firms but more fun to do. I wanted Tracie to do an updated version of the Firm and these definitely deliver. They have more in common with the classic Firms than the pink ones. The pink firms are put together by fitness instructors who lack a basic understanding of AWT. They are only good for longer warm-ups.

I loved the med ball work in both of these workouts. It is the most fun med ball cardio on tape. The cardio segments are the most interesting basic mixed impact cardio on tape. Tracie hit the spot on every move. She managed the HR just right and that is something only a handful of instructors understand. Tracie needs to put all the cardio segments from these 2 DVDs on a TLF parts DVD. She also needs to do the same with the weight work from all 3 DVDs. During one of the med ball sections in BU, I had to stop to chase after my lungs. My HR was in the red zone. My HRM zeroed frequently during this workout so the numbers I got from it were useless. I think it is all the core involvement which messed up the contact in the chest strap. I drank 40 oz of water in 40 min of BU. Yes, I measured because I couldn't believe that this little workout could do this. To me, these workouts are instant classics. They will only get better when I learn the moves better.

I find it amusing that Tracie is described as "robotic". It takes so much control to move with this kind of purpose, grace and elegance. I have only seen that with few ballerinas. Not many fitness instructors achieve anything remotely similar. It brings home that growing older is just an opportunity to move better.

It is so sad that Anna Benson never got a chance to see these DVDs. She would have been so proud of Tracie. It feels like Anna's work is being carried forward in these DVDs. Tracie couldn't have done a better job with these. This is a stronger more focused Tracie as if that could be possible. The one on one format is also perfect. I hope she will continue with it in the future.

The bad: The variability in the level of music. Tracie's voice came through very clearly but the music was hit or miss. I didn't notice any music when I was working out.
Soapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 04:35 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker View Post
The pink firms are put together by fitness instructors who lack a basic understanding of AWT.
Hi, I am curious about what you said about the instructors lacking a basic understanding of AWT. Would you mind explaining what is lacking in pink Firms? Allie and Kelsie were trained by Anna, I thought, so is it the other instructors?

I hope this is not coming off as calling you out or argumentative. I totally don't mean it that way...I really am just curious. Thanks in advance for an explanation!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 04:53 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Soapmaker -- I liked reading your review of these workouts. I've only done one so far and don't have a heart-rate monitor, so I couldn't see what was happening to that degree, but I could tell that my heart-rate was up enough to be working in a satisfactory cardio zone. With Cathe's cardio, I end up sweaty, which feels great, but like I mentioned before, it never gives me weight loss results like I think it will. I was hoping to do the step workout today, but I slept in and don't like doing new cardio workouts when all my kids are up. Hopefully tomorrow though.

-- Cathe

Old 12-31-09, 05:40 PM  
loulou

They are already being sold on EBay. The set of four and separately. Which means Step Forward is being sold with the glitch but it’s not mentioned in the listings.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 05:43 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

I really like these workouts. The only one I have not tried is Defining Shape and I plan to do that tomorrow. I sometimes think Tracie's workouts are underrated because there is so much more to them than getting your heart rate up or simple strength training. There is attention to posture, core strength, functional fitness and balance. I think she gives the best form pointers of anyone I have seen and her cueing is generally good. She looks awesome! For me, they're a good foil to Cathe's workouts, which are pretty much, "Let's work as hard as we can and as fast as we can". Don't get me wrong, I love Cathe, but I find Tracie's more subtle approach refreshing. Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awt, functional fitness, glitches, mark henriksen, step forward, tracie long