Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-22, 10:39 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
I even joined Dark Horse rowing (a sort of online school/training program) but it got to be too much about the numbers and stats for me.
Rowers seem to be obsessed with stats. I don’t bother with it. I don’t know my 500 split (or even if that’s what it’s called). Nothing. I row for a certain time or a certain meter amounts. Right now, I’ve worked my way up to 45 minutes *or* 7500 meters *or* one episode of Call the Midwife, which ever comes first. I do keep an eye on my strokes per minute, but other than that, meh. I’m not a “real” rower…but I’ve lost probably 15 pounds and a pants size since I added it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I want a C2 so bad! I have a Stamina orbital arm rower and it is completely different from the C2. I like Dark Horse Rowing and love Shane but without the right rower and monitor I don't enjoy it as much. I do still use the channel though. The last two years I've tried to do Rowvember, but again, without a monitor that tells me real-time SPM it's not as fun.
My rower is a C2. I bought it off Craigslist for $500 (it’s a model D but has an older PM3 monitor). No biggie - just means I can’t use any of the tracking apps or whatever. I just manually log my workout on the C2 website after each workout. All that to say — keep an eye out for used ones. They’re beasts and can still be great machines even used and somewhat old.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 12:30 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Rowers seem to be obsessed with stats. I don’t bother with it. I don’t know my 500 split (or even if that’s what it’s called). Nothing. I row for a certain time or a certain meter amounts. Right now, I’ve worked my way up to 45 minutes *or* 7500 meters *or* one episode of Call the Midwife, which ever comes first. I do keep an eye on my strokes per minute, but other than that, meh. I’m not a “real” rower…but I’ve lost probably 15 pounds and a pants size since I added it in.
Wow, Alison, those are some pretty impressive results! I also love how you measure your end time haha. Do you row every day and do other types of workouts, too?
Old 06-22-22, 01:03 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Wow, Alison, those are some pretty impressive results! I also love how you measure your end time haha. Do you row every day and do other types of workouts, too?
I’ve been rowing Mon/Weds/Fri/Sat. I find that if I row any less, I lose my callouses (and then my hands get sore when I row and that’s miserable).

On the other days, I do some sort of strength training. I’ve been bouncing around from thing to thing.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 04:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Allison, I checked Craigslist for a while and stopped bc I realized I really can't afford any of what I saw posted anyway. That's awesome you found one for $500 but right now even that is too much for me. You're getting great results! Way to go!

I'm all about my stats and tracking, no matter what workouts I'm doing. I was so bummed hiking the other day when the battery on my Garmin GPS HRM watch died on our second hike of the day! Thank goodness I always carry a handheld GPS walkie too!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 12:00 AM  
hypnomoon

In the past, when I did rowing, I found that using my tablet to watch a video difficult as I was, at first, close enough to see the scene. But then, on the leg lengthening move, I couldn't see the screen as well. So, I listened to Audible books or, one of my favorites, scary stories or crime stories on YouTube. With that, the vision/scenery wasn't important. It was the audio that kept me entertained.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 12:29 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
In the past, when I did rowing, I found that using my tablet to watch a video difficult as I was, at first, close enough to see the scene. But then, on the leg lengthening move, I couldn't see the screen as well. So, I listened to Audible books or, one of my favorites, scary stories or crime stories on YouTube. With that, the vision/scenery wasn't important. It was the audio that kept me entertained.
I connect my laptop to my TV to watch.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-25-22, 10:28 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I was going to buy the Concept rower, but gave the less expensive Sunny rower a try, and love it. I use the Sunny rower regularly. I watch TV while rowing.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 11:37 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I was going to buy the Concept rower, but gave the less expensive Sunny rower a try, and love it. I use the Sunny rower regularly. I watch TV while rowing.
I looked at those on Amazon but couldn't tell if the monitors gave all the stats I wanted and real-time SPM.

Old 07-12-22, 03:02 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I just bought that same Sunny rower used, and so far I really like it. I've only had it a week, but I've used rowers in the past at the gym and I know I like them.

I have an Oculus VR headset, so I'm going to try some 360 rowing videos off YouTube, but even the ones that aren't 360 look really good in the YouTube app in there.

I'm also an avid TV watcher/Audio book listener

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kanopy, rower, rowing, rowing machine