Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-14, 11:43 AM  
intelsana

Strength training alternate with cardio

I was hoping to look for some DVD recommendations of circuit training workouts that alternate cardio moves with strength moves. Sort of like jillian michaels workouts. However I am looking for workouts where the cardio moves can be made low impact due to my knee issues. Any recommendations?
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 12:40 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Any Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 Minutes to Fitness circuit workouts will have a modifier. Lauren in the older workouts was known, in my opinion, as the best modifier in the business. Then, she moved on. The newer ones aren't bad, but not as good as Lauren.

One of my favorite circuit workouts is an older one by Michelle Dozois, Your Best Body. It has a modifer that keeps things low impact.

Travelfit is more of a strength workout with cardio blasts than the other way around. There is no modifier, but the cardio is easy to keep low impact.

Aimee Nicotera's (sp?) 2 X 2 Conditioning, Vol 2 DVD is one of my favorite recent workouts. She goes through three levels of effort, the first being low impact and the modifier stays at that level.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 01:25 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Chris Freytag had one that alternated walking moves with strength training. It had one small section with impact, but it could be modified. I can't remember that title. Maybe someone could chime in. If you email or pm me, I can look it up later.
Old 04-06-14, 04:03 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Chris Freytag had one that alternated walking moves with strength training. It had one small section with impact, but it could be modified. I can't remember that title. Maybe someone could chime in. If you email or pm me, I can look it up later.
Walking Cardio Shape Up Max? It has two circuit workouts on it. The high impact moves are easy for me to modify. I just do some other move she used in a prior segment.

Donna
Old 04-06-14, 05:30 PM  
PrairieGem

Cindy Whitmarsh's Ten Days to a Better Body, or as I like to call it, "my alltime favorite exercise DVD." Two 35-40 minute workouts, one upper-body focused, one lower. Alterating 1 minute intervals of cardio and weights. She always begins each cardio move with the low impact version.

Alternating cardio/weights circuits are my favorite kind of workout, and this is (IMO) the best such circuit DVD out there. I found it after doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred and wanting more like that. I also tried Prevention 321 with Chris Freytag, but found it really slow (lots of rest/downtime while setting up the next move, which was frustrating for me). Another favorite of mine is an old Denise Austin workout, Fat Burning Blast--a great short (25 min) full-body workout. I think it's 1 minute of strength and 3 of cardio. She also begins each cardio interval with the low-impact version. I don't believe it was ever released on DVD, however.
Old 04-06-14, 05:38 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

So many Firms fit this.
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 11:09 AM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Cindy Whitmarsh's Ten Days to a Better Body, or as I like to call it, "my alltime favorite exercise DVD." Two 35-40 minute workouts, one upper-body focused, one lower. Alterating 1 minute intervals of cardio and weights. She always begins each cardio move with the low impact version.
I second this one. I just got it recently & love it. A lot of times since I'm doing the low impact version on cardio moves I wonder if I'm working hard enough since I'm not sweating like the people on the dvd but this one made me sweat.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio and strength, chris freytag, circuit training, hit the spot, intervals cardio weights, walking with weights