Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-11, 03:39 PM  
kariev34

Awt

Anyone still do AWT as their strengthening workout? Do you feel this is most effective for your body with weight loss/muscle tone/time efficiency, calorie burn? Have you tried other workouts: traditional lifting, barre, circuit training, etc. but been disappointed by how your body responded and went back to AWT?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 07:04 PM  
kariev34

anyone?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 07:24 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I still do plenty of Firm AWT workouts and consider them to be very time efficient and effective.
But these days there are lots of non-Firm cardio+sculpt circuits that are not labelled AWT but offer similar benefits. They're very popular on this forum.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 07:55 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Alot of the AWT style workouts I like aren't Firms--Michael Carson's workouts, Ellen's Slim Sculpt and Skiiny Sculpt, Amy Dixon's workouts...I don't do Slim Series or SI6 but they are, too.

I do think they are very time effective.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 07:17 AM  
kat999

FIRM and related titles (FitPrime, Kick Butt, Tracie Long, even some Jackie Warner is kind of AWT) all the way, baby! That's all I do for my strength workouts, really. I have done traditional weight lifting and I like it a lot, but AWT is fun because it's all about variety. I get so bored doing endless reps of a move that isn't challenging to me. Conversely, I get frustrated doing traditional cardio that's fast-paced and dancey. Old-school FIRM is awesome for variety, challenge, reasonable pace, and easy choreography. And on the slower titles, you can REALLY heavy up your weights, such as with Boomers or Tortoise. I find those two in particular to be insanely easy as far as learning the moves, but if you use really heavy poundage, you are a puddle on the floor afterward!
Old 03-07-11, 07:27 AM  
topfitmama

If AWT is the same thing as circuits, ie. a few minutes cardio, then dumbell exercises done with light weights, then yes, I have done AWT only and gotten nice results. BUT my legs started looking a lot better when I added Pilates exercises and my abs gained some definition too. Pilates did something almost magical. I credit fat loss to AWT and definition and "tightness" to controlled exercise.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 09:48 AM  
Bunny

So, other than The Firm, what are everyone's favorite intermediate/advanced or advanced AWT workouts? Would Cathe's circuit workouts be considered AWT?
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:02 AM  
muddjeansgal

I think it depends if you consider AWT to be circuit training or actually doing aerobic moves holding the weights like they did in the classic Firms.

I consider circuit training to be AWT. I think the Firm actually came up with the term "aerobic weight training" since most of the lifting at that time was just straight weights with no cardio effect.
So yes, to me something like Cathe's Low Impact Circuit is still AWT.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:55 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
So, other than The Firm, what are everyone's favorite intermediate/advanced or advanced AWT workouts?
I think kettlebells (what little I've done with them) are the epitome of AWT, although for most of the moves you're using the KB in a swinging motion to add momentum to cardio-based moves. But the way my arms feel after a KB WO? You can't tell me there's no strength-training benefit there, too! That's the only style of WO still capable of giving me DOMS.
Old 03-07-11, 11:01 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
So, other than The Firm, what are everyone's favorite intermediate/advanced or advanced AWT workouts? Would Cathe's circuit workouts be considered AWT?
I don't know what others might think, but I consider a Patrick Gordeau strength workout like Hard Work Conditioning to be AWT. I'm hoping his Dumb Training (just acquired...haven't tried yet) to be AWT as well.

ETA: I the Firm (along with Fitprime, KickButt, etc.) as my #1 AWT source but it's nice to get some updated workouts in the mix for variety.

Tags
awt, momentum