Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-24, 09:53 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Just finished

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger.
Someone on here recommended it and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I finished Being Henry, The Fonz and Beyond
Not sure if I mentioned that last thread.
I found it interesting.

Now I'm reading another Kristin Hannah book Waiting for the Moon (a friend gave me the paperback when we went to lunch). The print is tiny, tiny, tiny. But it's a good book. Enjoying it so far (about 1/3 of the way done.)

I got out William Kent Krueger's first book of the Cork O'Connor detective series (Iron Lake) and figure I'll work my way through these!

I also checked out Homecoming by Kate Morton (I'm sure a suggestion from here as well!)

Life is good.
And I truly appreciate all the recommendations I get from this thread.
Cleda

PS ... I have requested 3 other titles from the library, but there's a few people ahead of me on the waiting list so It will be awhile.
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 01:16 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
I finished Being Henry, The Fonz and Beyond
Not sure if I mentioned that last thread.
I found it interesting
I had such a crush on the Fonz as a kid Henry Winkler seems to be a thoughtful person.

I took a break from the Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper books to read A Court of Thorns and Roses, my first foray into the Sarah J. Maas universe. Almost done and I'm enjoying it more than expected.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 01:53 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’m just finished up book two of the Joe Dillard series “In Good Faith” by Scott Pratt. The subject matter was creepy but the details were general enough so it didn’t over whelm the story line. The small town politics is interesting. I grew up in a small town but left when I was young.

I read the first book “An Innocent Client” a couple of years ago and really liked it. The best part is the whole series is available on Kindle Unlimited.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 01:59 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I had such a crush on the Fonz as a kid Henry Winkler seems to be a thoughtful person.
I felt really bad for him when reading about how horrible his parents were to him.

I'm reading Hits, Flops, and Other Illusions: My Fortysomething Years in Hollywood by Ed Zwick. I'm not much of a celebrity/movie/tv person and didn't expect to enjoy the book, but I'm finding it very interesting!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 04:34 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Henry Winkler seems to be a thoughtful person.
I totally agree with this.

I have not seen many of the current shows he is in. However, one of my favorite versions of Charles Dickens classic was Henry Winkler in "An American Christmas Carol." So much so? That I bought the VHS tape of it!!!

I need to rewatch it!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 06:26 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Recently, I have read and liked:

The Tiffany Girls by Shelley Noble - This was an interesting story about the women who worked creating Tiffany's works of art. He hired women and paid them the same as men, although they had to quit when they married. I didn't know anything about this and found it interesting.

City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong - This was a creative mystery set in a unknown city in the Canadian wilderness harboring people who had to disappear because of some difficulty they had in normal society (crime, abuse, etc.). It was a good book and the mystery kept me guessing.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-24, 08:09 AM  
buffmama

I just finished The Great Pretender. It's non-fiction and about a study done in the 70s that sent sane people into psychiatric hospitals. The story telling is great and it's an easy, very interesting story.
Old 03-14-24, 09:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Hunter by Tana French. I love her books, especially The Dublin Murder Squad series. I was anticipating this new book for years and so far it's a disappointment. It pains me to say that because she's such a beautiful writer. This is a sequel to The Searcher from a fews years ago. That one started slow but I eventually enjoyed it. The Hunter is a slog for me so far but I'm staying for the beautiful writing.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-24, 12:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I just finished The Great Pretender. It's non-fiction and about a study done in the 70s that sent sane people into psychiatric hospitals. The story telling is great and it's an easy, very interesting story.
I remember learning about those experiments when I studied psychology; sounds like an interesting book.

I gave up on another book Let the Great World Spin (I seem to be doing that more lately!). I read the first 2 chapters. It was supposed to be a novel, but it was basically short stories, and they were depressing. It just didn't click with me.

I started a Chris Bohjalian novel, Red Lotus. I like it so far.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-24, 03:14 PM  
TracyQ

I finished The Covenant of Water…I absolutely loved it and was sad when it ended. It’s one of those books that I never wanted to end.

I had started and stopped Cutting for Stone a couple times over the past few years, I just couldn’t get into it but coincidentally it became available at my online library just as I was finishing the Covenant of Water so I decided to try it again. This time it clicked. I’m really enjoying.

It’s funny how that works. I never realized that the mood I’m in influences how I feel about certain books.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, spring reading