Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-21, 10:56 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I think the vaccine roll-out has gone fairly well so far in my area of Illinois (all things considered and just my personal experience). I think everyone in my family got vaccinated using different channels but all were by appointment. Most were notified via our county's vaccine portals when we could choose a appt time slot at various county locations. But the portals also coordinated with at least 2 major healthcare systems in our region so I actually got notified that it was my turn by the hospital/healthcare system I use, not the county portal but I was registered with the county and so they probably shared my data with the health system and vice versa.

My 74-year-old mom went first to a county drive-though site*. Later my super healthy 40-year-old sister got vaccinated where she lives in the city (Chicago) because she's technically in the "financial services" industry (so group 1C I think), but she was extremely proactive about trying to get a vaccine anywhere in the city. I finally got called up (emailed) recently for my first dose through the major hospital/healthcare system I use in the suburbs so I've had my first dose. I'm glad because on Monday Illinois is going to expand vaccine eligibility to anyone 16+ and I kind of wanted to get in before that because I don't know how it's going to go in the future.

*The drive-through county site is changing to a walk-through setup on Monday so that they can vaccinate 2,500 people a day vs. 1,500 going forward.

Last, but not least, we finally were able to get my 97-year-old grandma who is homebound and lives with my uncle vaccinated. For some reason it took a long time for the convention center near her in Cook County to get doses. They got a decent batch once and I spent about 1.5 hours clicking on my computer trying to make her an appointment to no avail. Very frustrating.

But last week she finally got email notification to choose an appointment time and site and the convention center was on the list. Luckily she got the J&J vaccine so only had to go once (this past Thursday). We were just about to explore trying to see if there were any outreach options for homebound people in her area (even though she technically lives with my uncle who can drive her and push her wheelchair), but then she (or rather, my mom and I) got the email on her behalf about appointments being available.

I imagine it's especially difficult for those who do not have high speed internet access or are working full-time or don't have a smart phone because I think all of these factors were important factors/tools in getting us appointments as soon as possible.

Despite the hiccups in the process I experienced as far as appointment scheduling at the beginning, I still like the method my state, county, and nearby counties chose as far as vaccinating certain priority groups sooner and having somewhat scheduled appointments. I say "somewhat scheduled" because at all three totally different places we were vaccinated, it's not like you had to wait for your name to be called. You just had to show up around the time of your appointment slot and then you just joined the line and were moved quickly through.

Special thanks to the National Guard who are running the vaccination site my grandma went to and who began helping at the site my mom went to (her first dose there were no National Guard but by the time of her second dose, they were there to assist). Also thanks of course to all the local volunteers, healthcare workers, nurses, etc. I was amazed at how nice and efficient everyone has been at the vaccine sites considering how long the pandemic has been going on and the stress I imagine all healthcare workers (and just everyone in general) have been under during this time.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 11:07 AM  
Jules

I was eligible to get vaccinated in March since I work at a school. I experienced no side effects from my first Moderna shot other than a sore arm for few days. I didn't take any time off from exercise.

I got my 2nd Moderna shot this past Friday morning. I worked out at 5pm with no issues. By 9pm I started experiencing chills and body aches. I took Tylenol, used my heating pad and fell asleep. I woke up a couple hours later and the chills were gone, but I had a restless night with body aches which continued into Saturday morning. I did not have a fever.

By Saturday afternoon I felt much better, but still took the day off from exercise. I slept great last night and feel normal today other than having a sore arm, which is red and slightly warm to the touch. I plan to work out today!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 12:24 PM  
kat999

I got my second Pfizer shot on Thursday afternoon and was basically out of commission until yesterday afternoon, so about 48 hours. Still not feeling 100%, and it's only today (Sunday) that I'm even thinking about working out.

Meanwhile, my husband--3 years older than me--got the shot at the same exact moment and he's been FINE except for arm soreness.
Old 04-11-21, 12:48 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post

Meanwhile, my husband--3 years older than me--got the shot at the same exact moment and he's been FINE except for arm soreness.
I've heard that men generally have fewer side effects from the covid vaccine because estrogen activates the immune system. I don't know if that's true. Sorry you had such a rough time! Your immune system was working hard!

I'm a bit concerned since my white blood count is low and I have no estrogen. I'm not sure if my body will have enough immune response. My second shot is Thursday and I'm hoping for some reaction to know it worked but not too much like you had.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 12:53 PM  
Erica H.

Here's info on women vs. men and covid vaccine reactions:

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...e-effects.html
Old 04-11-21, 01:17 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I've heard that men generally have fewer side effects from the covid vaccine because estrogen activates the immune system. I don't know if that's true. Sorry you had such a rough time! Your immune system was working hard!

I'm a bit concerned since my white blood count is low and I have no estrogen. I'm not sure if my body will have enough immune response. My second shot is Thursday and I'm hoping for some reaction to know it worked but not too much like you had.

Erica
I was concerned about my response, since I’m 61 and had no side effects from the flu vaccine. I did a search and found this article. Apparently, no side effects doesn’t mean you don’t have immunity. They tested antibodies after the vaccines, and people with and without side effects had immunity.

They were so busy reassuring people who had side effects, they didn’t realize the message going out to those who don’t have them.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...effects-or-not
Old 04-11-21, 02:03 PM  
atticus
VF Supporter

Smile No problems working out after 2nd shot!

I am happy to report DH and I had our second shots on Friday afternoon (Pfizer) and neither one of us had any adverse effects other than some arm soreness at the site of injection. I was able to work out on Saturday (a Jazzercise on Demand workout and an iFit spin). I don't know why we were so lucky, but I am thankful.
Old 04-11-21, 02:12 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I was concerned about my response, since I’m 61 and had no side effects from the flu vaccine. I did a search and found this article. Apparently, no side effects doesn’t mean you don’t have immunity. They tested antibodies after the vaccines, and people with and without side effects had immunity.

They were so busy reassuring people who had side effects, they didn’t realize the message going out to those who don’t have them.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...effects-or-not
Oh, I do know that no side effects doesn't mean that the vaccine wasn't effective, but in my case I'm mostly concerned about my low white blood cell count because I believe the vaccine is supposed to stimulate white blood cells in order to work and it won't work as well if you don't have a lot of white blood cells to train. So, in my case, having a reaction would give me some peace of mind that something is happening. But it could be a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

This explains it better than I can: https://www.medicinenet.com/how_covi...rk/article.htm

Erica
Old 04-11-21, 02:22 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Oh, I do know that no side effects doesn't mean that the vaccine wasn't effective, but in my case I'm mostly concerned about my low white blood cell count because I believe the vaccine is supposed to stimulate white blood cells in order to work and it won't work as well if you don't have a lot of white blood cells to train. So, in my case, having a reaction would give me some peace of mind that something is happening. But it could be a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

This explains it better than I can: https://www.medicinenet.com/how_covi...rk/article.htm

Erica
I understand. Thanks for both articles. It is interesting to read about the different reactions. Although, maybe not as interesting to live it, lol.
Old 04-11-21, 04:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
To clarify, you weren't standing most of the time, you were sitting in socially distanced chairs waiting for your row's turn to get your shot. It truly wasn't bad. No one here minded - and honestly, I would have stood in line all day long to get vaccinated. And now, there's no wait at all. My son got his second one yesterday and was completely done in less than 30 minutes, which included the 15 minute wait time afterwards.

Personally, I would rather go wait in line and know that I'll be vaccinated that day/afternoon, rather than beat my brains out trying to get an appointment online.

Carol
LOL I get it. To each his own---no way would I wait all day for a vaccine! I would rather stay home until it doesn't involve a lengthy line, but people here were/are also pretty good about staying distanced and wearing decent masks around others. I also didn't beat my brains out to get an appointment---I got an online invitation from CDC to schedule an appointment when it was my turn so I didn't stand (or sit) in line for 2 hours. A friend in NC waited 3 hours for her second shot and I thought to myself "no way." Obviously I am not good at or willing to wait in line, particularly for hours.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccinations, vaccines