Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-21, 09:01 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I hear you about the state not handling vaccine distribution efficiently.
Michigan is just as bad! They went from anyone over 50 to anyone over 16 and the people over 50 are still trying to find appointments. At 47 and 49, my husband and I are locked out of waitlists. Can't even sign up because there's no available appointments in our county. Total s---show.
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 12:59 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Got my second Moderna dose two days ago. The first night and the whole second day were pretty uncomfortable. I think I had a bit of fever, but my fancy thermometer wasn't behaving well, and I couldn't find the old-school type. Must have hidden it from myself. Not more than a degree or two. ...
I have an old-school glass mercury thermometer. I recently read an article saying how dangerous they are. They have been in use for ages and don't need batteries.

I also have a digital one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Michigan is just as bad! They went from anyone over 50 to anyone over 16 and the people over 50 are still trying to find appointments. At 47 and 49, my husband and I are locked out of waitlists. Can't even sign up because there's no available appointments in our county. Total s---show.
Lori, I hope you both get appointments soon!

I'm over 65 , so I was able to get both of mine. DH just had his first. For once, being a senior was a plus.

The whole vaccine distribution plan will go down in history as a monumental, three-ring s---show!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 02:14 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
This is so weird to me. Here in my part of Texas our Public Health Department has been giving vaccinations since December in our community's Civic Center - think big facility for shows, meetings, hockey, rodeos, etc. It's just a simple walk in clinic - if you were in the category of folks eligible you just went and stood in line. It worked like a charm - very efficient. Yes, you might have to wait a while - it was about an hour wait for my first shot and about two hours for my second - but there was no complicated system for trying to schedule appointments, etc. I never heard of anyone waiting in line and then being turned away. Everyone here was thrilled with how it worked and we had people coming from other states to get vaccinated. Sometimes simple is better.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 02:15 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I have an old-school glass mercury thermometer. I recently read an article saying how dangerous they are. They have been in use for ages and don't need batteries.

I also have a digital one.

That's me too, but I couldn't find the old mercury ones when I wanted them. They were here, somewhere, but while I was sick I didn't remember that they're probably in the first aid kit in the cabinet with all the bandaids. Logical, but since I seldom need either bandaids or thermometers, it never crossed my mind to look there. Sigh. Still haven't gotten up to go look and be sure, there are things to read on the internet and I can't tear myself away, LOL!
Old 04-10-21, 03:40 PM  
donnamp

Maryland finally seems to be opening up my 17 year old DD was able to schedule an appointment for this week....

it seems to be hit or miss. We signed up everywhere we could. The local hospital is where my DD is going.

The State Mass Vax sites and the local health departments do not seem to be very efficient in scheduling at all. I think I ranted previously about the text messages my DH got that he had 10 minutes to respond to and they did not indicate that they were coming from the State's Mass Vax sites - just a random number w/ a click here that honestly looked like spam....

I'm getting mine at a small independent pharmacy and my DH got his at Walmart.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 05:21 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
This is so weird to me. Here in my part of Texas our Public Health Department has been giving vaccinations since December in our community's Civic Center - think big facility for shows, meetings, hockey, rodeos, etc. It's just a simple walk in clinic - if you were in the category of folks eligible you just went and stood in line. It worked like a charm - very efficient. Yes, you might have to wait a while - it was about an hour wait for my first shot and about two hours for my second - but there was no complicated system for trying to schedule appointments, etc. I never heard of anyone waiting in line and then being turned away. Everyone here was thrilled with how it worked and we had people coming from other states to get vaccinated. Sometimes simple is better.

Carol
Wow, that is really impressive! Michigan sucks. I'm in a populated area and we're barely getting anyone above 50 done. We have to have an appt in our county, and there's nothing available. We have to sign up online so we all spend hours refreshing sites in hopes of a cancellation. Plus there's no waitlists either for most sites. Can't even get in at pharmacies yet. It's been a huge debacle here.
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 07:26 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Wow, that is really impressive! Michigan sucks. I'm in a populated area and we're barely getting anyone above 50 done. We have to have an appt in our county, and there's nothing available. We have to sign up online so we all spend hours refreshing sites in hopes of a cancellation. Plus there's no waitlists either for most sites. Can't even get in at pharmacies yet. It's been a huge debacle here.

I'm in Wayne County. I went to the CVS website at 6:40 am Tues and had 4 appointment options under an hour drive for Wed. I got the Pfizer vax for my 16 year old daughter. The advice I heard was to look early in the morning.

I had also signed her up at the DMC website and they called Friday but I didn't need their appointment.

I don't know how far you are from Ford Field but I heard that went very smoothly for a lot of people. You sign up though Meijer for that one.
Old 04-10-21, 07:40 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
I know - our guys did a great job and we are very proud of them. I was fully vaccinated by the end of January (as someone with Type 2 Diabetes) and my son got his second shot yesterday. He said there was virtually no waiting both times.

Carol
Old 04-10-21, 08:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I dunno, but waiting for 2 hours isn't my preference and doesn't seem all that efficient either. If I had to stand in line for 2 hours I wouldn't be vaccinated yet. It's been crazy how every state and even localities within states are doing things differently but I guess not surprising since this is not something that anyone could ever have anticipated and it all had to be done on the fly.

I think we've finally turned a corner in VA---at least it seems so in my area. There are now many more options to get the vaccine---with CVS and Walgreens now supplied along with a FEMA run site and a few local health departments and hospital system doing them as well. It sure has taken awhile to get there!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 09:41 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I dunno, but waiting for 2 hours isn't my preference and doesn't seem all that efficient either. If I had to stand in line for 2 hours I wouldn't be vaccinated yet. It's been crazy how every state and even localities within states are doing things differently but I guess not surprising since this is not something that anyone could ever have anticipated and it all had to be done on the fly.

I think we've finally turned a corner in VA---at least it seems so in my area. There are now many more options to get the vaccine---with CVS and Walgreens now supplied along with a FEMA run site and a few local health departments and hospital system doing them as well. It sure has taken awhile to get there!
To clarify, you weren't standing most of the time, you were sitting in socially distanced chairs waiting for your row's turn to get your shot. It truly wasn't bad. No one here minded - and honestly, I would have stood in line all day long to get vaccinated. And now, there's no wait at all. My son got his second one yesterday and was completely done in less than 30 minutes, which included the 15 minute wait time afterwards.

Personally, I would rather go wait in line and know that I'll be vaccinated that day/afternoon, rather than beat my brains out trying to get an appointment online.

Carol

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccinations, vaccines