Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Margaret Richard fans please come here (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=210119)

Pat58 04-27-15 09:08 AM

Margaret Richard fans please come here

I recently purchased her Getting Better DVD on sale and am reminded how much I liked it when a VF'er loaned it to me. I am wondering if all of her workouts are geared toward toning? I would like to keep an eye on her website and collect a few more that are just weights or toning type workouts.

What are her cardio workouts, or does she do that? I've never had much exposure to her - my local PBS station never aired Body Electric (at least not at a time when I ever saw it) so this Getting Better DVD is my only understanding of her work.

What are your favorites among her strength and toning workouts? Not plank-y workouts though. TIA! :)

Pat58 04-27-15 09:29 AM

Another question

About her downloads: are they good, full screen downloads? Any weird problems with needing "purple platforms" or anything like that?

summer breeze 04-27-15 09:37 AM

I love MR and have many of her dvds. Her style is high rep, low weight strength work with floor work for lower body. She may have one or two cardio workouts but that's not her trademark and I don't own those. I think some of her workouts may have plank work but not a lot of it. She does curls for abs and some standing oblique work too. My favorites are her All My Best dvds which are half hour segments from various of her dvds, some very dated if that kind of thing bothers you. I like her Unplugged series also which is from her Body Electric tv show but I have to string a few of those together to get a full body workout. No information on the downloads as I don't own those. HTH. Have fun!

Pat58 04-27-15 10:52 AM

Thank you for writing back with that great info Summer Breeze. I can't believe how good I feel from doing Getting Better yesterday. I'm at a place where it seems a few more Margarets will be worthwhile investments.

While I was searching, I saw that she may film some new ones. That would be great!

sherry7899 04-27-15 10:56 AM

Pat- I really like the Unplugged dvds and Triple Threat and Good and Strong. I found "Fitness Becomes You" to be a little disjointed. I also like "Good For You." I did not keep "The Spark."

sherry7899 04-27-15 10:57 AM

Her dvds are chaptered by each exercise so it is really easy to create your own workouts.

Pat58 04-27-15 11:16 AM

Thank you for the "negatives" Sherry - she has so many videos, I really want to limit myself to the cream of the crop.

Vintage VFer 04-27-15 11:58 AM

I have a lot of Margaret's workouts. Getting Better is my favorite. I have done it so many times in the last few years that I have a love/hate relationship with it. :p

donnamp 04-27-15 12:53 PM

I am a big Margaret fan, too. I think my favorite might be Good & Strong - filmed outdoors if I'm remembering correctly and Beauty to the Bone which has a barre-ish standing section. I do like the unpluggeds and I like to mix a little cardio, an unplugged episode, and a classical stretch episode as a 'staple' rotation.

She does push-ups sometimes for chest work but I don't remember a lot of planks. I am not sure if she has any cardio?

She seems to have frequent sales these days - so keep your eye out! I'm thinking she has a sale at least every other week and will probably have a good one for Memorial Day weekend.

To me her workouts can be challenging without being "killer" in that I will actually have energy for the rest of my day!

Donna

smith938 04-27-15 12:58 PM

I'm new to Margaret but have already collected a bunch of her dvds! :o unfortunately my body can't get to them all right away. I LOVED getting better and have been tempted to try squeezing it in again - I don't really like separating the workouts but I did that the one time I did it- did upper body one evening then the lower body the next morning seems like - partly due to time partly due to being wiped out! :o I don't like the abs and that cooldown link between the 2 workouts I wasn't sure how long it'd go on...when I chose just the lower body the next day it skipped all that and was already getting ready to do the legs.

I'm working my way through Unplugged 2000 series - just did the 2nd workout on the 2nd dvd. I'm enjoying them though she sorta sways (think she's hearing the music that was taken out!) and some of her jokes really aren't funny to me- she's weird with Heidi in at least one about swallowing a leaf or something if it falls in her mouth so she doesn't bother us at home... they start with a dancy-ish swaying warmup and stretch then the body parts she's working that day then a 1 minute 'talk' then a cooldown and/or stretch so you work maybe 6 parts for a few minutes each - think it's about 25 min total. over 3-4 days/episodes I think she hits all the major stuff- sometimes a muscle is repeated every 2 episodes andsometimes every 3. she does different exercies. she does use a playground ball (or the one that comes with fight age with strength) If ound it awkward under the back for the floor stuff but will work at it. I enjoy the short workouts - no dread really-and she does work the part she focuses on. I havent' enjoyed all the exercises and one episode is all seated even the abs - those were really tough and not comfortable on a wooden chair since you have to lift your legs and lean back while gripping the front (gotta have some space) but the seated calves I really didnt' feel much. she uses weights mostly -one episode no weights at all just body weight - and leg weights are optional(I used them some in the floor work last night but took them off :o) also on the menu it lists the body parts worked but not the exercise she does.

I've done the sculpture upper body shorter workout and it's killer. she does floor and standing and pushups/tricep pushups til exhaustion. it's a boring-ish indoor settting but if she puts it on supersale I'll likely get it just because it's good.

I attempted triple threat once but wasn't really in the mood and after the first exercise involved pushups then the 2nd i had to find a chair or something to do those nasty tricep dips I took it out and decided to wait for inspiration! :o I think it will be a great dvd though and it IS chaptered with body parts/sections though doesn't say which exercise she'll be doing - have to look that up I guess or learn through trial and error. I have good 'n strong from her sale but havent' gotten to it yet either due to the length and not wanting to split a workout into upper/lower to make it shorter (though don't know why I have this mindset as I split stuff up with the unplugged episodes- just not upper/lower usually)

I just got good for you and can't wait to do it...also got several others - think I'm waiting for sales on the 2 all my best dvds, perfect 10 and sculpture and maybe classics and unplugged 1900. I even bought raising the bar that I had zilch interest in as I don't own a bar - YET! because it was on sale and I was already ordering! I haven't bought classics or unplugged 1900 yet because i have some of the episodes from pbs and some of the workouts from classics so want a big huge sale to justify getting those. I passed on give me strength a month or so ago because of the cardio - I like her toning but I've never really liked her warmups in the unplugged episodes and thought her cardio might be the same - but now I sorta wish I'd gotten it to try.

I find I'm more likely to do a shorter workout but really want to get to the longer workouts or just split them like I did with getting better. I think getting better will be one of my favorites as I'm already eyeballing it again wanting to give it a go!

I'm thinking right now that getting better, unplugged sets, sculpture, good n strong, triple threat may be my better purchases though I'm hoping good for you, beauty to the bone, and fitness becomes you will be as well. right now I'm not holding out high hopes for my other purchases of raising the bar, strength/grace, fight age with strength but since they were a good deal and I might want them sometime I have them (I DID find out that the stretch from strength/grace or whatever that one is called - is on the getting better dvd - didnt' try it but saw it listed on the back of the case.