Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anyone just do Classical Stretch? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=209843)

Sara1000 04-11-15 05:07 PM

Anyone just do Classical Stretch?

Would you still need to do traditional strength training with weights to keep your muscles strong?

snapfish45 04-11-15 05:37 PM

Hi, right now I am experimenting with only doing Classical Stretch for my strength and toning and seeing how that goes. I also swim, bike and run on a regular basis. I have lots of other DVD's and from time to time do kettlebells, weights, etc. but find I feel better and think my clothes fit better when I stick to Classical Stretch and similar workouts. To be honest, the unweighted arm workouts fry my arms more that if I do a workout with weights!

I also throw in some Ellen and other similar workouts from time to time, but Classical Stretch is definitely my go to. I have lots of older stuff, but just got some new ones I haven't tried yet. I know when I do Classical Stretch, I feel better than when I don't do the workouts. I also will workout every day because there is absolutely no dread factor for me.

Paine 04-11-15 05:44 PM

Sara, I think it boils down to personal preference and how strong you want your muscles to be. I know that Miranda and Sahra only do Classical Stretch for their exercise. I think a person can be healthy and fit with just CS and walking. I love lifting weights so I do add in weight lifting a few times a week but that is my personal preference for now.

yogapam 04-11-15 07:01 PM

I think you could be certainly be fit and healthy with CS and some gentle steady state cardio like walking. That wouldn't be enough for me personally, I feel I need more and I love variety. I have the luxury of being retired and I do 2 - 3 hours of physical activity a day, sometimes even more. I like so many things - yoga, walking, rebounding, swimming, hi/lo, step, barre work, kettlebells, CS...and so on.... I enjoy CS, but I need more than it can give me for strength, but that is me. I also need more focused stretching than it gives me.
Like Paine said, it all comes down to personal preference and what you like to do. I think the most important thing is to find what you enjoy and makes you feel good as you are more likely to do it. :D

JackieB 04-11-15 07:57 PM

I have only been doing CS/Essentrics now for at least 5 years. Every once and a while I will pick up an Ellen or do a DDPY Yoga. I don't feel that I have lost any strength and am at my slimmest since having kids. I alternate my episodes/workouts so that I get standing, armwork, abs and lower body.

I think that you can get very strong doing CS if you work at it and don't just slop through the movements. I think of other instructors that do bodyweight workouts...I think it was Michelle in the Fluidity workouts that talks of gaining a very proportional body lifting your own body weight.

If anything, I will supplement from time to time upper body work ala Suzanne Bowen's armwork or yoga. I have some autoimmune issues, though, and adding too much resistance training causes me pain and being a former gymnast will give me that bulky look.

I think it's all about what your goals are. Miranda and Sahra's workouts are a perfect fit for me and what I'm working toward...a less cranky body, flexibility, mobility, and a slim shape.

yogapam 04-11-15 08:16 PM

Jackie, I new you would join in here as I know how much you love CS and how well is works for you! My goals are similar - flexibility, mobility, slim shape, and less pain, but I just can't get all that from CS. I have to say the biggest gain I have gotten from CS is better posture through increased spinal flexibility and shoulder mobility. And for me that is huge as slumpy shoulders seem to be hereditary in my family - I think it's related to body structure - and I don't want them! So CS will remain on my fitness menu!

JackieB 04-11-15 08:25 PM

Pam I would have to agree that CS has been great for my posture as well. I think other, more subtle and less noticeable health improvements have been increased circulation and much less overall back and hip pain.

I should add that I walk every day and do a lot of skiing and hiking. When I feel the need to, I add in Ellen, DDP, Suzanne, Lee Holden...so I do get in other workouts.

I'm not a buff, muscular dream machine. I have gradually lost weight and slimmed down and people IRL ask me what I do for workouts. I'll be doing Miranda and Sahra's workouts for a long time.

yogapam 04-11-15 08:30 PM

Jackie - Ha ha, I am not a muscular dream machine either, that is not to be nor would I ever lift heavy in an attempt to get there! :p The last time I tried to lift heavy was that D2S rotation that Beth and I did last year. Man that really irritated my joints, namely wrists and knees, so never again! I do enjoy KBs but just as short add ons and my KBs are not heavy. I am loving the new Essentrics dvds and those will be the ones I focus on. I like Miranda, but these new dvds have brought home to me how scattered she is in many of the season episodes. She is so much more focused in the new Ultimate Stretch. I love the big upper body movements and the barre work. They feel so good! :love:

[EDIT]My apologies to Sara1000 if I have hijacked the thread!

JackieB 04-11-15 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2519169)
Jackie - Ha ha, I am not a muscular dream machine either, that is not to be nor would I ever lift heavy in an attempt to get there! :p The last time I tried to lift heavy was that D2S rotation that Beth and I did last year. Man that really irritated my joints, namely wrists and knees, so never again! I do enjoy KBs but just as short add ons and my KBs are not heavy. I am loving the new Essentrics dvds and those will be the ones I focus on. I like Miranda, but these new dvds have brought home to me how scattered she is in many of the season episodes. She is so much more focused in the new Ultimate Stretch. I love the big upper body movements and the barre work. They feel so good! :love:

[EDIT]My apologies to Sara1000 if I have hijacked the thread!

My last attempt at lifting heavy was CLX...in attempt at being a muscular buff goddess :D:p. All it got me was a lot of chiropractic visits. :(

I love the Essentrics workouts but have to say that there are some CS episodes that are pure magic. They are the favorites that I keep going back to because they make my body feel so good.

Sara1000 04-11-15 09:37 PM

Thank you so much for the responses! What it boils down to for me is should I spend $64 + shipping for CS Season 10 when I had not long ago committed to just doing the traditional Cathe workouts I already have (plus various things for cardio). I am so fickle! The Cathe workouts work well for me but I am having a hard time staying motivated.

The CS workouts caught my eye on PBS.