Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Streaming only (aka: I got rid of my final fitness DVD's) (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231186)

loverly7 06-09-21 04:50 PM

Streaming only (aka: I got rid of my final fitness DVD's)

I have been streaming exclusively for years now. I had whittled my fitness DVD collection down over the years, but still hadn't touched a single fitness DVD in years. I finally decided to donate the ones I had left. So over the weekend I donated those final few and now I am truly streaming only. I felt a little sad for a moment when I did it, but I have been streaming only for such a long time now and I honestly can't envision myself ever using a DVD workout again. Someone else can surely benefit from my donation and that would do more good than the workouts just sitting on a shelf. Just thought I would share...

anetta 06-09-21 04:56 PM

Great. I am ready to do the same.

Anita

Usia 06-09-21 05:17 PM

I wish I could do the same, but my internet is not always reliable and streaming during peak hours can be a problem for me. Even though I live in a major metro area, I don't have many other choices of internet providers so I'm stuck with the hated comcast. For that reason, I will not get rid of my dvds.

wendug 06-09-21 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usia (Post 2928733)
I wish I could do the same, but my internet is not always reliable and streaming during peak hours can be a problem for me. Even though I live in a major metro area, I don't have many other choices of internet providers so I'm stuck with the hated comcast. For that reason, I will not get rid of my dvds.

Same. I did a YouTube workout today and had buffering issues. It usually clears up within a minute or two, so I just continue the move the instructor had been doing or march in place until it clears up. Luckily I don't have comcast. As soon as AT&T was available in the area, we switched.

kat999 06-09-21 05:36 PM

Yeah, I can't make the full switch. I do have the FitFusion app and it works okay on even an older Roku, but my workout room is the room faaaarthest from my router, and the wifi signal in there can be spotty. If I ever move and have a better set-up, I might switch, but on the other hand I spent a lot of time getting my DVD collection together, so I'd hate to ditch it now. Maybe if the technology itself completely dies. ;)

fanofladyvols 06-09-21 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loverly7 (Post 2928729)
I have been streaming exclusively for years now. I had whittled my fitness DVD collection down over the years, but still hadn't touched a single fitness DVD in years. I finally decided to donate the ones I had left. So over the weekend I donated those final few and now I am truly streaming only. I felt a little sad for a moment when I did it, but I have been streaming only for such a long time now and I honestly can't envision myself ever using a DVD workout again. Someone else can surely benefit from my donation and that would do more good than the workouts just sitting on a shelf. Just thought I would share...

Well good for you loverly!
Somewhere there's a vidiot like me who is going to be thrilled to shop what you donated. So thank you. :)

As crappy as my interwebs is, I can't imagine ever being able to only stream. Love my collection :love:

muggle 06-09-21 07:18 PM

I’m not sure if I’ll ever give up my beloved DVD’s. They’re like my children. I keep them safe, clean and pay attention to every one of them. I stream too but can’t imagine streaming exclusively. My fear is when my DVD player dies…..do they even manufacture them anymore? Scary thought!

BigBadBetty 06-09-21 07:24 PM

Good for you! I am a few steps behind you. I put all my DVD in a storage bin. If I don't go in that bin for the next year, I will donate. I generally stream or just do my own thing. Since the new year, I have done only 1 DVD workout. I don't even think of them really. But I just couldn't get rid of them. They upgraded our horrible rural internet to something stable about a year and half ago. (Which is great because we both have had to work from home since March 2020.)

yogapam 06-09-21 07:40 PM

I stream or use downloads almost exclusively. I started doing that when I was traveling a lot, which I plan to resume next year. I have my iPad on a tripod which makes it easy to adjust the height & angle for standing or floor work, saves me kinking up my neck to look at the tv.

I purged a large portion of my DVD collection a while back. I SASEed a lot of them here & gave a box full to a local single mom. I still have a lot left and I should do another purge.

rhbrand 06-09-21 10:11 PM

The extra space must be nice.

Sadly I live next door to the middle of nowhere and my internet isn't that good.
Oh, I can on most days stream. One thing at a time. We have to even take our phones off wi-fi to stream. I forgot while streaming Loki today and got the loading ring for a little bit.

Those of you with great internet, pray for those of us with crappy internet.

adawn 06-10-21 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muggle (Post 2928756)
I’m not sure if I’ll ever give up my beloved DVD’s. They’re like my children. I keep them safe, clean and pay attention to every one of them. I stream too but can’t imagine streaming exclusively. My fear is when my DVD player dies…..do they even manufacture them anymore? Scary thought!

I have this Sony DVD player, model DVPSR510H:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/

It's still going strong since early 2017 (and you can use slo-mo to learn complex step choreo). But I keep getting paranoid they'll stop producing them, so I bought a backup one (same model) in late 2018 and it's still new in the box :o

I think blu-ray players will be around for a while and they can also play regular dvds.

Negin 06-10-21 02:46 AM

I would love to stream Ballet Beautiful. I've never streamed any workout channel before. The reason that I haven't done so, is that I can't justify the ongoing monthly cost. With Ballet Beautiful, that would set me back at about $480 a year :eek:!

At least with DVDs, I have them forever. I don't like the idea of having to pay every single month.

Yes, I understand that there's always new content, but it's quite unlikely that I'd be able to keep up with all those workouts anyway. I know myself and I'm the type to get overwhelmed with continuous new content.

I own most of the Classical Stretch DVDs, and I love them. I've often considered streaming. I figure, "Why bother? Why pay twice?"

I haven't had any income in well over a year and don't know when I will. I view streaming as yet another case of high-class robbery. I do love and follow many YouTube channels, however.

alisoncooks 06-10-21 06:35 AM

I'm not streaming but I've been using YouTube workouts (pretty exclusively) for months. Even a few I have on DVD, I found on YouTube and use there. It's just easier. That said, I'm definitely not ready to go DVD-less yet. I'll keep my small collections for a while longer. :)

Erica H. 06-10-21 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alisoncooks (Post 2928797)
I'm not streaming but I've been using YouTube workouts (pretty exclusively) for months. Even a few I have on DVD, I found on YouTube and use there.

Same with me. I've been using youtube workouts and haven't used a DVD yet this year. But our internet is spotty and I'm not ready to give up my DVDs. I love all my workouts - youtube and DVD!

Erica

Paula N 06-10-21 07:29 AM

I'm another one that has been using YouTube almost exclusively for the past year and a half. I use a DVD or VHS about 4-5 times a month.

It did occur to me earlier this year that I could probably whittle my collection down to around 30 or so favourites and still have enough variety to keep it interesting.

Pratima 06-10-21 09:45 AM

I've been doing a lot of streaming workouts lately, mostly Les Mills, Peloton, and iFit, and a little YouTube. I feel like I should get rid of DVDs but just can't! I feel like at some point I will want to do those (and I have) and can't figure out which ones to get rid of.

Vantreesta 06-10-21 10:19 AM

I have been doing some YouTube stuff, mostly PT type videos and things I don't have DVDs for like rowing and I did an elliptical workout this week, and I use a few apps but I truly cannot imagine parting with my collection. My DVDs and VHS are like my best friends, they're always there for me on good days and bad, just like my fur baby is! :heart:

Vintage VFer 06-10-21 10:40 AM

Our satellite internet (Hughes.net) is very poor for streaming. I usually download any workouts I want to do and put them on my iPad.

It also bothers me to pay for something I will never own. Something that might disappear one day. Yep, I'm a dinosaur!

I love my DVDs! :sun:

cailleach 06-10-21 11:25 AM

Gosh, what a brave thing to do, getting rid of your DVDs.

I don't think I could ever do that. Some of my favorites are on VHS tapes and are considered out of print. Ya think I'm gonna part with my tapes?!
I did burn them to DVD-Rs and of course some DVD-R went bad. So glad I kept the tapes. Whew!

I still do DVDs because some are really good and it's like visiting an old friend.

sherry7899 06-10-21 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2928837)
Our satellite internet (Hughes.net) is very poor for streaming. I usually download any workouts I want to do and put them on my iPad.

It also bothers me to pay for something I will never own. Something that might disappear one day. Yep, I'm a dinosaur!

I love my DVDs! :sun:

I am a dinosaur also. I use you tube all the time, but I will never get rid of my DVDs.

fatkat555 06-10-21 03:08 PM

I still have my VHS Firms... :D

Nope, I like streaming but I’m keeping my dvds. I also have many, many downloaded workouts on thumb drives.

kat999 06-10-21 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2928867)
I still have my VHS Firms... :D

I bought some vintage Jane Fonda on VHS just last fall. :sun: If my TV/VCR combo stops working, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do about some of my VHS. Not just workouts but some old movies, too.

tiffanywu 06-11-21 12:20 AM

I live in Silicon Valley so internet connection is pretty good but I just hate having to "buy" (and not truly own) streaming stuff, especially if I already have it on DVD. And I also love the premixes on DVDs (I know KCM does or tries to include these in her streaming service but still I already have them!) I use YouTube selectively (Jessica Smith, some yoga, a few other oldies that have been uploaded which I don't have on DVD) and also podcasts (e.g. Eoin Finn).

Tanja 06-11-21 05:14 AM

Currently, I am streaming a few things for rehab but I am keeping my DVDs. I have enough DVDs to last a lifetime and this is the most inexpensive and independent way to workout, in the long run.

Demeris 06-11-21 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanja (Post 2928906)
Currently, I am streaming a few things for rehab but I am keeping my DVDs. I have enough DVDs to last a lifetime and this is the most inexpensive and independent way to workout, in the long run.

I agree. I stream only when I'm traveling for extended periods of time. I like owning my workouts, some of which are on DVD, some of which are mp4 videos.

horsemom2 06-11-21 06:15 AM

I am finding it so much easier to stream than use dvds that I have not used a dvd since 2019.
I do download my favorite routines so I can do them without buffering issues.

ncl 06-11-21 06:59 AM

I am doing a mixture of streaming and DVDs. Just looking at this week, I have done DVDs a lot. I probably use my Cathe DVDs the most. I love all the premixes and you don't get those with downloads. :) I also use Tracie Long DVDs a fair amount.

JackieB 06-11-21 07:08 AM

It's getting to be time for me to get rid of my dvds. I never use them. It's just so easy to stream. I'd probably keep my Essentrics and Ellen dvds. That's probably it.

Streaming is so convenient and easy.

Pat58 06-11-21 08:23 AM

Still using DVDs but I've substantially streamlined and still am.

As soon as my library is accepting donations I'm bringing a pile that I can't seem to give away for SASE, probably every VF'er has had them at some point.

Vintage VFer 06-11-21 11:56 AM

You can't trade or sell streaming (as far as I know). You can't lend streaming to a curious VFer. You can't put streaming up in the Wish List, Request the Wealth or Share the Wealth threads.

:sun:

JackieB 06-11-21 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2928945)
You can't trade or sell streaming (as far as I know). You can't lend streaming to a curious VFer. You can't put streaming up in the Wish List, Request the Wealth or Share the Wealth threads.

:sun:

Most streaming sites offer a free trial so the curious can try it out. It's true that we can't trade dvds, but the flip side of that is that dvds do degrade and can be damaged. I remember the last time I rented a movie from Redbox that my daughter and I couldn't view because it was so scratched.

DVDs require storage and care.

Many of us remember waiting for new workouts to be produced and physically mailed to us. With streaming, we cut out the "middle man" and the wait; we get new workouts much more often.

Pros and cons with everything. I'll admit I didn't love streaming when it first came out. Technology advances though and for me anyway, the pros of streaming outweigh the pros of dvds.

Vintage VFer 06-11-21 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieB (Post 2928954)
Most streaming sites offer a free trial so the curious can try it out. It's true that we can't trade dvds, but the flip side of that is that dvds do degrade and can be damaged. I remember the last time I rented a movie from Redbox that my daughter and I couldn't view because it was so scratched.

DVDs require storage and care.

Many of us remember waiting for new workouts to be produced and physically mailed to us. With streaming, we cut out the "middle man" and the wait; we get new workouts much more often.

Pros and cons with everything. I'll admit I didn't love streaming when it first came out. Technology advances though and for me anyway, the pros of streaming outweigh the pros of dvds.

It's true that some DVDs degrade with time. Especially the DVD-Rs. My old Slim In 6 DVDs have started to skip and glitch. Many of my favorites I have converted to mp4s, so that will save them.

I'm a film buff and have many movie DVDs as well. I take good care of them. I've gotten a few loaners or trades that look like they have been run over by a tractor. :p

I'm sure I would do more streaming if my internet wasn't lousy!

Paula N 06-11-21 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieB (Post 2928954)

I am spoiled with the overwhelming number of great step workouts that are regularly uploaded to YouTube. 'Back in the day', I would get a small number of step workouts per year on DVD. Now, I cannot keep up with all the ones I want to try.

Plus, shipping to Canada is becoming extraordinarily high, so I can't see myself ever buying another DVD again. Downloading, yes, but not buying a physical product. If I could successfully convert my favourite DVDs and VHS tapes to a digital format, I would gladly do away with my physical copies.

I compare it to music. I used to buy maybe 5-6 new CDs a year. Now, for a monthly fee, I have access to virtually any song ever recorded. I have absolutely no regrets that I do not own the music I listen to. (Besides, when I think back to some of the CDs I once owned - yikes!)

kat999 06-11-21 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula N (Post 2928962)
I compare it to music. I used to buy maybe 5-6 new CDs a year. Now, for a monthly fee, I have access to virtually any song ever recorded. I have absolutely no regrets that I do not own the music I listen to. (Besides, when I think back to some of the CDs I once owned - yikes!)

I admit that even though I don't like to stream workouts too much, streaming music makes my audiophile heart so happy. I used to buy CDs (and cassettes before that) like mad, and then when iTunes came out, I spent tons on individual songs and albums that I could own digitally. Now I have only a Spotify subscription, and between that and YouTube, I honestly can't remember the last time I actually bought an individual album. Some artists I love I splurge on a collectible vinyl, but that's really it.

Cybersparkle 06-12-21 02:25 AM

Hey guys, I see so many threads about dvd players & what will happen for vidiots who still use dvds.

Does anyone use a USB mini dvd player on their laptop or desktop?

I still use dvds and since 2013 (costs $32 after tax), use an older version of this

External CD Drive USB 3.0 Portable CD DVD +/-RW Drive DVD/CD ROM Rewriter Burner Writer Compatible with Laptop Desktop PC Windows Mac Pro MacBook
by Rioddas-Ziroo
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLRG9VH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It's so much easier, smaller to connect and operate. Just plug it in once. So affordable too! Less than 30 bucks.

Your computer's media player will play it but I like VLC player.

Easy peasy, now you can have your dvds forever and ever and ever :sun:!

Negin 06-12-21 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybersparkle (Post 2929035)
External CD Drive USB 3.0 Portable CD DVD +/-RW Drive DVD/CD ROM Rewriter Burner Writer Compatible with Laptop Desktop PC Windows Mac Pro MacBook

Thank you so much for this. I'm pretty sure that my techy husband got something like this for me. I don't really know what mine is. I'm adding the one that you linked, along with your helpful post, to my wish list. I often make notes in the "comments" part of my amazon wish list.

Cybersparkle 06-12-21 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negin (Post 2929036)
Thank you so much for this. I'm pretty sure that my techy husband got something like this for me. I don't really know what mine is. I'm adding the one that you linked, along with your helpful post, to my wish list. I often make notes in the "comments" part of my amazon wish list.

Yayy!! :):)

adawn 06-12-21 10:54 AM

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2AMK2M/

fatkat555 06-12-21 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybersparkle (Post 2929035)
Hey guys, I see so many threads about dvd players & what will happen for vidiots who still use dvds.

Does anyone use a USB mini dvd player on their laptop or desktop?

I still use dvds and since 2013 (costs $32 after tax), use an older version of this

by Rioddas-Ziroo
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLRG9VH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It's so much easier, smaller to connect and operate. Just plug it in once. So affordable too! Less than 30 bucks.

Your computer's media player will play it but I like VLC player.

THIS is why I love this forum. :love: Added to my cart!

katmom 06-12-21 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawn (Post 2929061)

Can this drive be used to copy DVD’s to either a hard drive, jump drive, or cloud drive?

My internet provider is typically reliable, but I awakened the other morning ready for my morning workout before logging on for work. Internet was down for maintenance and estimated to be back up by 6am which was when I needed to be logged on for work. I ended up using 3 different DVD’s to take the place of my scheduled streaming workout.