Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Runners and Walkers: What do you do when when weather gets bad (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=196727)

beyond.omega 09-29-13 12:10 AM

Runners and Walkers: What do you do when when weather gets bad

I have enjoyed walking outside for exercise this summer. In the past, I have switch to cardio dvds inside, but with my tight hip flexors, I don't want to do it this fall. Do any of you walkers and runners continue to do so with the rain and cold? If so, what do you do for gear to stay dry/warm?

Terry 09-29-13 05:00 AM

For Dry Cold:

I always thought that the sort of expensive cold weather running gear sold at sporting good stores was a money-making thing that was really not all that. I finally decided to try out dressing the recommended Winter Way and found out that the clothing really does work very well.

Wick-away clothing next to the skin keeps you from having wet clothes hanging on you. It is made of polyester instead of cotton. I just checked three of my cold weather gear shirts and found that one is 100% polyester and two are 95% polyester.

Several layers and ear protection are also a must.

In the coldest weather I wear:
  • Same exercise bra/panties as in summer.
  • Two pairs of ankle-length stretch leggings. Mine are Danskin.
  • Cold weather gear shirt. I got several on Spring Clearance so instead of $50-80 per shirt (or more) I got each of them for $45 or less. They are not cheap, but they are worth it.
  • Two pairs of sweat pants that have elastic around the ankles - I have cheapy 100% cotton from Walmart and can probably find them in wick-away fabric if I want to spend the money, but cotton sweats have been OK as long as I have the leggings underneath. The did not have the elastic around the ankles; I added that. Two pairs is probably overkill, but I hate to get started in the cold.
  • Two zip-up sweat shirt jackets - The bottom layer is thin wick-away polyester and the top is thicker, either polyester or cotton. The cotton has been fine.
  • Gloves
  • Ear Muff/Ear Band/Ear Head Band - You can find really good ones made for outdoor sports.
  • Eye protection - Cold wind in the eyes is very annoying. I wear regular glasses, but non-glasses people could use sunglasses, ski goggles, etc.
  • Tube socks scrunched down around the ankles with the elastic of the sweat pants pulled over them.

I ran for years in the cold before I finally tried out the good shirts and the multiple layers with skin-tight on the bottom layer. I turned into a fair weather runner in my late 40s because I copped an attitude that I could no longer face the beginning of a run in the cold. I finally learned how to dress well for the outdoor cold exercise this past spring when I signed up for an outdoor boot camp. The coldest days, when I went for two pairs of sweat pants, were 31 degrees F. This winter if it gets down in the 20s, I might have to add a winter hat. My hands have been cold, but nothing else.

Two pairs of sweat pants make me feel like I am in diapers or something at first, but this feeling goes away after I get moving. I doubt many people ever wear two pairs of sweat pants, and plenty only wear winter leggings (I don't know where they get them. It is probably Ski clothing.) It is not typical to warm-dress the bottom half the way I do; I am the odd woman out on this.

Jeanne Marie 09-29-13 06:58 AM

My treadmill is my best friend during the winter months! :D

summer breeze 09-29-13 07:09 AM

I haven't done it in decades, but now that I'm walk/running again I will definitely be braving the cold weather this winter. If I remember correctly, I dressed in layers as mentioned above even though I didn't invest in the specific wicking materials, though I may look into it this year if I can find good sales. I would do the leggings with the sweats over them, several sweatshirts as needed, hoods, hats, gloves. Nothing fancy but I was young and invincible at the time:D. I don't think I ever ran in the cold rain though, that requires a whole different set of clothing, I imagine.

This summer I walked in the 100 degree heat, I just went very early in the morning and I also walked in the rain, but the rain in the summer really doesn't feel too bad at all so I dressed as I normally did for that.

I'm hooked on my walk/jogs and can't imagine not doing it everyday for any length of time. I hope it works out for you and me both;). Good luck.

Pam 09-29-13 08:52 AM

I probably dealing with more extreme conditions than most (I live in the Colorado mountains at an altitude of 9,000' and these ideas may be overkill for milder areas :)). While I don't generally walk or run during the winter (too much snow and ice) but I do snowshoe and ski (cross country and downhill).

While outdoor clothing is expensive it really helps to be comfortable. I do buy most stuff at end of season sales. If there is a REI in your area, they have a members-only sales twice a year where you can get great deals and often outdoor stores will have a sales rack year around (often have to hunt for them). Generally the clothing for last for a long time.

Some ideas:

Layers are important as you can adjust as you warm up doing the activity or the weather changes.

Be sure and drink enough, it is surprising how much moisture your body is losing when it is cold.

If cotton gets wet, it will take warmth from your body. A good thing in the summer, but not in the winter!

Might try long johns (come in different weights) and/or fleece pants for warmth.

Judith L 09-29-13 08:54 AM

Besides layering, high tech wicking fabrics and nothing without zippers which allows you to shed/open them as you warm up, the thing I found most important was having underarm/armpit zippers in your jackets, especially rainwear - the more extensive the better. My favorite jacket has 15" zippers which start around the elbow and continue up, around, and down to the front pockets. It is actually a jacket meant to work with an outer supplex shell, likewise with zippers. Having the zippers means you can open your layers once you are heated and don't have to worry about taking them off.

ETA: My favorite fleece jacket mentioned above also has, besides the front opening zipper, zippers in the pockets and on the chest, and it makes a racket in the dryer.

suegy3 09-29-13 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie (Post 2296644)
My treadmill is my best friend during the winter months! :D

I was also going to suggest a treadmill. QVC usually has them on flex payments so it's a bit easier on the wallet instead of paying all at once.

LAC 09-29-13 10:19 AM

Sporthill clothing, originally designed for cross-country skiing, is another option. They make three different warmth levels. It is expensive, but Sierratradingpost.com sometimes offers a few pieces at reduced prices (and usually offers additional discount/sale codes). I have a pair of their pants and a pullover that I bought for snowshoeing, but they would work just as well for winter walking.

Leonana 09-29-13 10:34 AM

For me, it's the opposite. I can't exercise outside in the summer. It's just now cooling off enough for me to bike outdoors again.

I bought a cheap upright exercise bike off of Craig's list, and do spinning videos, or tabata intervals, once or twice a week. So far no thigh bulking, lol. The rest of the time I do cardio workouts, at an intermediate level.

beyond.omega 09-29-13 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone! This is all really great information.

Terry and Pam: That is great information, and very helpful.

Pam: Wowza...I'll bet it gets cold for you! Yeah...typical winter for me is 20-30s in the morning..and if I move to the city it will be a little better. The rain is what gets us most of the winter.

Summerbreeze: Yeah, I need that morning walk, and the early morning walk is great in the hot summer...but in the winter it just means its colder! :)

JudithL (or anyone else): Can you link the shell you use? Is it suitable for the rain as a top layer, or do you know of something that would be good for the cold rain?

LAC: Thanks for the links...I had forgotten about Sierra Trading Post.

Jeanne, Suegy and Leonana: Yeah...that is kinda what I had done in the past, except I don't like the treadmill, so one year I got a gym membership and did elliptical. The next year, I did walking workout dvds at home. Last year, my workplace had an unfinished basement and I walked there during lunch. I don't want to buy a large piece of exercise equipment, as I just recently purged many of my belongings and am anticipating a period in my life of a lot of moving, but if this outdoor walking doesn't work, I might have to get another gym membership.