Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What Is It About Step? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229098)

annette 07-24-20 08:02 AM

What Is It About Step?

I haven't been doing step workouts for a looong time due to issues with my feet so for cardio do mostly kickboxing and metabolic workouts. Yesterday I decided to do Cathe's Basic Step because it's only 30 minutes.

It definitely bothered my feet, as expected, but in addition I noticed my legs were really feeling it. All the 3 and 7 knee repeaters were killing my quads and butt. I was surprised because I do weight work consistently - not super heavy but moderate.

So I wonder is it an endurance factor or maybe the quickness of the moves? Even though it was uncomfortable I realize I really miss doing step workouts. What a bummer.

bubbles76 07-24-20 08:48 AM

Step can work those leg muscles like nothing else :). I think it's the endurance factor. Another factor could be how many risers you use, range of motion on the step, speed on the step, etc. Step is my favorite form of cardio, but my poor knees can only take on step once a week. I max out on up to one set of risers, but most workouts with complex choreography or a lot of impact I can only use the base platform.

fanofladyvols 07-24-20 11:17 AM

I tend to work harder because I love it!

I will even do on the floor only because those step moves are such a blast. I guess it brings back good memories ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kat999 07-24-20 01:39 PM

I don't have any traditional step videos, but I do have various FIRM titles that use different heights of boxes and steps, and Jari Love uses steps in some of her more cardio-infused videos. I find that some days I'm like, yes, let's get that step out and GO FOR IT and other days I can't even bear the thought and just do the moves on the floor. I used to be less step-averse when I was younger and even took step classes, but nowadays I feel like it just elevates my HR too fast and too high. Plus, life is too short to push through a dread factor haha.

Vintage VFer 07-24-20 02:12 PM

I read that Gin Miller invented step to help her knees.

Step (at too fast a pace {which is MOST of them}) makes my knees sore. :confused:

sbh 07-24-20 03:16 PM

I stopped teaching step 16 years ago when I injured my low back. I missed it. I always enjoyed the workout. A couple of months ago I decided to get back on the horse. I started out with Jenny Ford's beginner step classes on Youtube. Then I tried Jenny's intermediate classes and tolerated those very well. I also found Fit Outside the Box w/Karla Luster, youtube. I love Karla's step classes!! She has several with a slower BPM. I even did Cathe's Cardio & Weights last week. I am not using my risers, just the platform. Maybe someday I will add one set of risers. So far, so good. I hope to tackle Cathe's Low Max soon. I am still a little apprehensive about that one though....

Mopsy 07-24-20 03:32 PM

I've been using my step with walking workouts. The pace is usually good and I can do my own choreography, basically up up, down down with variations. It's important to change leads and get a little creative at times to make it work. Sometimes I hold light dumbbells. In a half hour, that's a lot of leg presses.

I think basic step can be harder because you're constantly stepping. The more advanced workouts have moves like mambos, stomps and shuffles that don't require lifting your body weight. Basic stepping can be boring, but you can't cheat :p I did a Kathy Kaehler basic step workout. Real easy choreography, like a class from the 90's. I was more tired from that than from some of the "advanced" workouts I have, probably because of the continuous stepping.

pgun3 07-24-20 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh (Post 2883538)
I stopped teaching step 16 years ago when I injured my low back. I missed it. I always enjoyed the workout. A couple of months ago I decided to get back on the horse. I started out with Jenny Ford's beginner step classes on Youtube. Then I tried Jenny's intermediate classes and tolerated those very well. I also found Fit Outside the Box w/Karla Luster, youtube. I love Karla's step classes!! She has several with a slower BPM. I even did Cathe's Cardio & Weights last week. I am not using my risers, just the platform. Maybe someday I will add one set of risers. So far, so good. I hope to tackle Cathe's Low Max soon. I am still a little apprehensive about that one though....

thanks!!! I will Try Karla.

adrien_73 07-24-20 06:29 PM

I used to be a step aerobics instructor...many moons ago when it was still cool. :cool:

Now it causes plantar fasciitis flare-ups, morton's neuroma and most recently a pretty intense tear to my calf muscle which is still not healed 6 week's in. :(

prettyinpink 07-24-20 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopsy (Post 2883541)

I think basic step can be harder because you're constantly stepping. The more advanced workouts have moves like mambos, stomps and shuffles that don't require lifting your body weight. Basic stepping can be boring, but you can't cheat :p I did a Kathy Kaehler basic step workout. Real easy choreography, like a class from the 90's. I was more tired from that than from some of the "advanced" workouts I have, probably because of the constant stepping.

That’s a good point. Also, I don’t do step very often, and when I don’t know or don’t remember the routine at all, I don’t push myself as hard because I’m just trying to figure out how not to trip! It is fun, though.

Because of this thread, today I decided to pull out Low Impact Circuit by Cathe. Not too hard and fun for me.

I like your idea of using the step for indoor walks and using it freestyle. I am going to pull mine out more often for that.