Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Workouts that give a round booty! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=152822)

StrongFree&Happy 08-16-10 05:32 PM

Workouts that give a round booty!

So this year i have mainly been doing a lot of cardio and yoga and it has really toned down my lower body which i am happy about, dont get me wrong! However i have noticed that my booty doesnt look the same in jeans so im thinking i need to add some "perkifying" workouts (to use someone else's phrase!).

Can you suggest some workouts that focus on lifting/building the glutes? I recall a few years ago, i did Squeeze exclusively for 3months and loved the results but as you can imagine, im really burnt out on that workout now. Im not a huge barre fan. I recently got Tonique Mat and 2.0 and i have subscribed to Leah's BalletBody workouts so im going to try and incorporate those slowly. Any other ideas? (Besides BBL!!)
TIA

artic123 08-16-10 06:26 PM

Mari Winsor's Pilates Body Sculpting Buns & Thighs and
Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting Buns & Thighs with a resistance band.
Worked for my 61 year old butt.

Good luck.

Sharon

KathAL79 08-16-10 06:28 PM

First, make sure you're activating your glutes properly. You can find lots of great ideas on exercises and even a test or two on this thread: Engaging the glutes ?

I've actually found that doing weights at the gym have improved my backside more than my at home videos (but keep in mind I'm not a floorwork junkie, nor am I a barre fan). New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W) helped, but not as much as The Female Body Breakthrough (FBB). Some of the key exercises were deadlifts of all kinds, but especially straight-legged or Romanian (what usually passes for deadlifts in DVDs); squats of all kinds, but the 1-legged variety seems to get the glutes extra good; and bridgework, both on the floor and on the stability ball (also hamstring roll-ins on the stability ball). When doing lunges and step-ups, which are also good, you apparently activate the glutes a little more by stepping back a little further.

Kettlebell work has definitely helped my rear view. All of that work activation the posterior chain for swings, cleans, snatches, and more makes such a difference. But you'll need to spend time learning how to do these moves properly, if you don't already know.

AnMrsDe 08-16-10 06:58 PM

Kettlebells!!

videofit 08-16-10 07:11 PM

Floorwork with Margaret Richard or that old chestnut, Buns of Steel.

daisysunshine 08-16-10 07:12 PM

Another vote for kettlebells!. You will feel it ALL the time lol

mtngoat 08-16-10 08:18 PM

Kettlebells made the biggest difference for me, too!

Backpacking in the mountains builds the booty amazingly fast, too! When you come off a 4-5 day roller-coaster like the Rockwall in Kootenay National Park, you are all calves and butt!

Lori

eta: I know, I know, it's water weight build-up. But if you do it frequently enough, it builds good hard muscle.

deesharee 08-16-10 08:24 PM

Another AMEN for Kettlebells!

buffmama 08-16-10 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deesharee (Post 1612909)
Another AMEN for Kettlebells!

How long does it take to notice a difference and do you have to go heavy with the KB? I've been using 15 lb KB mostly, use it 2 times a week now, and am looking for greater changes. Thanks.

counterclockwise 08-16-10 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisysunshine (Post 1612873)
Another vote for kettlebells!. You will feel it ALL the time lol

Oh my goodness, I have never felt anything quite like swings with a heavy kettlebell. My glutes have never been on fire like that, EVER. I have a J-Lo butt already (it's not nearly all muscle though, lol), so I hope it doesn't grow with kettlebells (unless I lose the fat). I would love some lifting though!