Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Everything in November :-) TheFIRM: Check-in, Stories & Tips (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231931)

Karla25 10-27-21 04:15 PM

Everything in November :-) TheFIRM: Check-in, Stories & Tips

The Firm played an important role in my entry into the world of home workouts back in the early 1990’s. I was in the best shape of my life doing The Firm workouts for over twenty years. Somehow, I got away from them and now want to revisit them for a month to see if The Firm workouts will work their magic once again.

This thread is not only a check-in, but a thread for advice, support and possibly some strolling down memory lane with The Firm stories. I’m starting the thread a few days early so VF members can look at rotations and plan their workouts.

Also, the check-in can be for as many, or as few days as you like. If you only do one The Firm workout for the month, please check-in and share your thoughts :) I hope that you will join in!

The FIRM VF Articles:

Inside The Firm

Inside The Firm Photo Album

Here are The FIRM promotional clips:

1. The Firm Infomercial BSS1 part 1

2. The Firm Infomercial BSS1 part 2

3. The Firm Infomercial BSS1 part 3

4. The FIRM Infomercial BSS2 - Sculpting Stick part 1

5. The FIRM Infomercial BSS2 - Sculpting Stick part 2

6. The FIRM Infomercial BSS2 - Sculpting Stick part 3

7. The FIRM BSS3 Infomercial part 1

8. The FIRM BSS3 Infomercial part 2

9. The FIRM BSS3 Infomercial part 3

10. The FIRM BSS4 - TransFIRMer part 1

11. The FIRM BSS4 - TransFIRMer part 2

12. The FIRM BSS4 - TransFIRMer part 3

13. The FIRM - Zip Trainer

14. The Firm: Win a Workout Weekend

15. The FIRM Promo: The WAVE System

16. The FIRM Promo: The FIRM Introduction Video (after 25 years)

17. The Firm Promo The Firm Believers FIRM Club Promotional Trailer

18. Firmology

19. 20 Questions About Fitness partial clip

:sun: The Firm 90 Day Rotation :sun:

:sun:WHFN Rotations:sun:

:sun:FitPrime Original Weekly Rotation:sun:

The Firm Believers’ Ultimate Compendium

Streaming The FIRM Workouts:

Gaia 7 Day Free Trial of The Firm

Fitness Favorites Pivot Share

About the Instructors:

Susan Harris IMDB

Clip of Janet Jones-Gretzky's Wedding Ceremony
Wayne & Janet Gretzky Christmas Card Video 1989
Janet in Dance Fever Clip

Sandahl Bergman Wikipedia
Sandahl Bergman's Body - Workout Vid, 1983
She (1982) - Sandahl Bergman
Sandahl Bergman Big Man on Mulberry Street

Best Director: Kai Soremekun

La Reine Chabut

Jayne Poteet Star Search 92

Pamela Cauthen Meriwether co-founded the Sakhi Yoga School in 2011

Allie Del Rio-fitnesscoach-salonowner

Karla25 10-27-21 07:16 PM

:sun: Interesting TheFIRM VF Threads :sun:

The Firm Book: Daily Dozen

The FIRM "shelf/ledge butt"...real or VF urban legend?

The Firm's Sandahl Bergman

Where have all the FIRM instructors gone?

Any 50+ going back to The Firm

The Five Toughest Firm Workouts

Pam61 10-27-21 09:01 PM

I didn't start doing FIRM workouts until they began introducing their systems in 2001. I had heard of them through VF back around that same time, but was never a FIRMie. :eek: I sort of skipped the Classics, even though I later acquired them, but I still never did them much. I did enjoy BSS1, BSS2, BSS3, and BSS4 with the release of each infomercial. Unfortunately I didn't stick with them for very long, probably because of the overwhelming number of video choices at the time. I also was looking for workouts that were a little less time consuming.

It will be nice to revisit some of these, as they have been gathering some dust. My plan is to start with the PowerFit workouts, since they're only 20 minutes. I'll add them to a Leslie Sansone walk (or two.) I may add a couple Pink Firm workouts (Super Body Sculpt) with Stephanie or something like Jiggle Free Arms (TransFIRMer set) again with Stephanie. I also like Tracie and her Basic Sculpting with Weights might come in handy here. But, it will be fun to play around with some of these again to add some strength segments to the walks I'm currently doing.

Thanks for providing some inspiration, Karla! :) Looking forward to checking in with you and other VFers for this November challenge!

DawnMarie 10-28-21 08:03 AM

This will be so FUN!!

I was a Firmie from the beginning. Sent away a check for each new release as a pre order. Hubby built me steps. I'd get up at 5am every weekday morning and get my Firm workout done before work. LOVE the newsletters and catalogs, and still have some. I also still have my clamshell cases.

Earlier this week I started a Firm rotation that I found. I am subbing some Ellen and Leslie into the mix, and I am looking forward to it.

Today was Volume 6.

donnamp 10-28-21 09:00 AM

Pam - I like your idea - about the PowerFits and Walking....that sounds like a good combo!

I started strength training b/c of the FIRM - there was something about it that made it enjoyable to me. I'm not a fan of strength work and always preferred cardio or circuits so the FIRM really hit the spot for me.

But, I'm about 20 years older now and I do have some nagging issues - so I do need to start out slowly and build up.

Donna

rhbrand 10-28-21 09:51 AM

OMG! This is amazing!
If I wasn't starting STS I'd get my Firms out and do them lol

I was in such good shape back when I was Firming all the time. Probably didn't hurt that I was also in my 20s and 30s.
Maybe after STS I'll do a couple months of Firming again

Karla25 10-28-21 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam61 (Post 2945098)
I didn't start doing FIRM workouts until they began introducing their systems in 2001. I had heard of them through VF back around that same time, but was never a FIRMie. :eek: I sort of skipped the Classics, even though I later acquired them, but I still never did them much. I did enjoy BSS1, BSS2, BSS3, and BSS4 with the release of each infomercial. Unfortunately I didn't stick with them for very long, probably because of the overwhelming number of video choices at the time. I also was looking for workouts that were a little less time consuming.

It will be nice to revisit some of these, as they have been gathering some dust. My plan is to start with the PowerFit workouts, since they're only 20 minutes. I'll add them to a Leslie Sansone walk (or two.) I may add a couple Pink Firm workouts (Super Body Sculpt) with Stephanie or something like Jiggle Free Arms (TransFIRMer set) again with Stephanie. I also like Tracie and her Basic Sculpting with Weights might come in handy here. But, it will be fun to play around with some of these again to add some strength segments to the walks I'm currently doing.

Thanks for providing some inspiration, Karla! :) Looking forward to checking in with you and other VFers for this November challenge!

Thanks :-) I also plan on easing back into The FIRM, but want to do Vol. 6 first because that was my first Firm workout. I have many of their workouts, but mostly the harder ones. The Classics and Cross Trainers have always been my favorites :heart: also, The Firm Parts :heart:

Jane P. 10-28-21 06:31 PM

Vol 6 was also my favorite because it had no push ups and no lunges, both moves are problematic for me because of preexising issues. I even bought their barbell which I didn't really need. I remember those hover squats, not sure I'm ready for those LOL! Probably won't do their ab work since I prefer Pilates, but since it's always separate, it shouldn't be too hard to skip.

I did a lot of Charlene Prickett in the old days, but since she didn't have a Saturday show, I'd do a Firm then.

PS My very first vid purchase was Firm 1, but I had to work up to it. It was really tough.

psupam 10-28-21 07:05 PM

For years I ran and did other cardio. Running went when my knees did. I found out at the age of 52, as a result of a research study I was in, that I had osteopenia. Got much more interested in weights. I started with BSS1 as I wasn't crazy about the gym. Stuck with it for years but as knees got worse what I could do was much more limited. I had both knees replaced last year and slowly built back up what I could do. I am happy to be doing the FIRM again (as well as walking, Zumba and step). I modify as needed.

Venus 10-28-21 08:41 PM

Thank you for all the links, Karla :D

I'm glad the check-in started early. It's fun to read through everyone's plans for next month- lots of options with The Firm!

My first Firm was Ultimate Fat Burning Workout with Alison Davis. It was one of my first fitness DVDs when I started working out at home. I have some of the Classics on VHS; Volume 1 with Susan Harris was my favorite. I'm not using the VCR right now, though, so I won't do those in November. I haven't decided on a rotation yet, but I'll probably do mostly pink Firms, since I have the most of those. I thought about doing one instructor a week. So, one week of Alison workouts, one week of Allie, Kelsie, Rebekah, etc.