Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Yoga Warrior 365 or Ultimate Yogi (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=196448)

Cher 09-19-13 06:00 AM

Yoga Warrior 365 or Ultimate Yogi

Just wondering if anyone can help me decide which one of these yoga sets would be better for me to start with. I'm fairly new to yoga. I have tried yoga in the past and thought I can take it or leave it. I bought Blissology when it came out and tried to do a rotation of just Blissology and quit after a week. Back in July, the town I live in started having a Yoga in the Park class so I tried it and found I really enjoyed it. So I started pulling out some of my yoga workouts I have acquired over the years. I decided to see if I could stick with a rotation of yoga every other day with 1 weight day and some cardio thrown in on the other days. So far so good. It's been 2 weeks and it's still working for me. I've been doing Blissology, Eoin's PYFH, Travis' Foundations and his Cross Training.

I tend to not be a big fan of the whole vinyassa thing....while a few are okay, I do enjoy doing the yoga poses more but do like it to flow.

My goals would be to keep my strength that I have (or gain some if possible) and to lose about 15 lbs....if possible.

That being said, I probably would be considered fairly a beginner at yoga. I'd like to get some thoughts and opinions from those of you that have tried these as to which program would be better for me to start with.

Any help would be appreciated.

katmom 09-19-13 06:49 AM

Cheryl, I posted a similar thread yesterday. You might look at the response I received.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=196436

Cher 09-19-13 06:52 AM

Thanks for the link, I must've missed your thread yesterday. :o

Pie 09-19-13 08:41 AM

Some posters have referred to YW365 as a prequel to UY. So, you may want to start with it. However, I am fairly new to yoga and did a lot of research. Most posters are saying that UY is still the better program with superior production and flow. I decided to go with it. I'm sure that I will have to work up to the program but I am up for the challenge. Plus, I want something that I'll want to continue to use for years.

That being said, I may still purchase YW365 at a later date...... ;)

Vee 09-19-13 08:59 AM

UY is pretty accessible. You don't need ultra flexibility and there are no advanced inversions or arm balances. I thought it was advanced more in terms of strength and endurance. So someone new to yoga could do it, if they have familiarity with common yoga poses or alternatively, have good observation and proprioception to align the body.

I am still waiting for YW365. From the clips at least, I don't expect to find it "easy".

If by vinyasa you mean the sun salutation movement, while some discs have many of them, I thought there was enough variety in UY that it did not feel like an overdose of chaturanga-up-dog-down-dog.

cherimac 09-19-13 09:51 AM

Hi Cher!:sun: My friend, Laura, was just telling me that I would like YW365 because it wanted something less intense than UY. I tried UY and didn't like it. It was a bit advanced for me and Travis' voice drove me nuts. :o I will see if Laura will stop by and give you her thoughts. She does a LOT of yoga and can give way more insight than I can.

newellcr 09-19-13 02:58 PM

Cheryl,

I am trying to figure out what my thoughts are on UY vs YW365. I have been doing a yoga only rotation for 9 months now. My background wasn't yoga based but I did do P90x yoga weekly, taken the occasional class locally, and played with other DVDs. Nothing stuck like the P90x yoga until I purchased UY. I was reasonably fit when I started UY, but not particularly muscular. Once I started the UY rotation I felt great other than a little soreness and possibly a minor over stretched feeling. These problems faded and I started looking more natural and less like a hobbiest weight room rat. At the end of the rotation, my diastolic blood pressure droped by 10 pts. I kept an active but less structured yoga regiment since. I continue to find 'new' muscles in my arms, legs, and basically everywhere. I can't say enough nice things about UY. The shortcommings with UY are fixed with Short and Sweet and Foundations, or so I thougth...

I have YW365 and really like it. YW365 will not be a replacement for UY for me. I will continue to shuffle in the YW365 discs into my UY structured workout regiment. I enjoy the more laid back nature of the YW365. I really like the short tip videos. The instruction tips in them are excellent and they are something that I will continue to go back to watch - they are not a watch-once and you know it forever kind of thing. Rudy guides the practice but combines it with tips and modifications. I definitely do not find the discs that I have done to be nearly as intense as UY. I love the intensity of UY - I want my yoga with a challenging flow.

That leads me to a couple of not entirely positive things about YW365. Everytime I've done a YW365 disc, I've felt like Rudy is giving me a pass on doing something 'hard'. I don't want options to make the practice easier... I guess I figure I can do that on my own. It is hard for me to criticise that because it is important to respect what your body can give you on any particular day. I find the options distracting because the modification isn't just for physical need, but just because it's 'too hard' today. I see what YW365 is doing - building skills with the first few discs and slowly ramp up the difficulty and intensity. So maybe I need to complete the entire set before I pass final judgement on this.

This doesn't bother me a bit, but many here have mentioned that they don't like the touching in UY. If this bothers folks, don't even bother with YW365. The tips are full of touching. I don't find it creepy. The only other way to be instructional in the tips would be to use a pointer or something, but that has serious limitations.

So which one? For me I can easily see using both, but getting more use out of UY. If I had to choose today, I'd choose UY. That might change in 3 months - I can't say for sure. Again, I haven't gotten thru the entire set. I didn't need to get thru the entire UY set before I knew it was for me. If you want a more physical challenge like your cross train disc, go with UY. If you want a slower flow or more instruction, go with YW365.

Good luck,

Christopher.

daisyduke 09-19-13 06:18 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Christopher.

Cher 09-19-13 08:02 PM

Thanks so much Christopher and everyone else for all your thoughts! It really helps. I guess I need to decide how hard I want to work. ;)

laurajhawk 09-19-13 10:12 PM

I am finding YW365 less intense & easier than UY (so far - I've done about 6 of the YW practices), but UY does have a whole lot of vinyasas, definitely more than the YW practices I've done.

UY is quite accessible, but YW gives you a gentler start, i.e. the first two discs in particular are really geared toward beginners/restarters. YW also has "warrior tips" -- about three per disc -- where Rudy really breaks down an individual pose, explains it and has one of the students demonstrate it while he points things out. (Yeah, he touches them. I don't get a "creeper" vibe at all.)

I think UY is more fun and a better workout. I think YW is more educational (i.e. you have more opportunity to learn yoga technique) and more relaxing. It's probably not fair to give the traditional VF answer, "buy both!", when they're as expensive as they are ... but I'm glad I have both.