Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What have you stuck with? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232816)

nschultz 05-21-22 09:01 AM

Over the years, I found my body responds best to walking for overall movement.
Strength: Fitness Blender, Cathe, 21 Day Fix
I’ve been doing Jessica Smith for at least 8 years: cardio, kickboxing, barre, circuits, fusion workouts.
I still go back to Barre3 occasionally, when I need a break from weight lifting or if I’m traveling.

red1013 05-21-22 11:37 AM

I've been exercising pretty consistently since the mid 90's, and I have a vast DVD collection to show for it.

Most consistently for me is Cathe and The Firm. Cathe since the late 90's when I bought Pure Strength on VHS, and The Firm since 2004(ish?) when I ordered BSS2 after seeing the infomercial.

Taramisu 05-23-22 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2965823)
I couldn't answer this question!

I've stuck consistently with working out for 42 years. It's not the instructor or method or gadget. It is the a goal of moving and staying strong.

Agree with this. Over the year or so I fell out of my routine and stopped moving or didn't move as much and now I am having issues, hips and knees mainly, probably because I am so horrendously out of shape. So I am slowly easing my way back into things, even if I have to go back to beginner world and stay there forever. I just need to move period.

frogribbit 05-23-22 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2965932)
I actually found it depressing (for my situation). I ran consistently for 23 years and thought it would be part of my life forever until last year when I got injured and eventually had surgery. It's been one year since I last ran and I'm not even allowed to try again for four more months. I can't even walk now without pain so I can't even imagine running. I may not be able to ever run again. At this point, my goal is to walk without pain.

I also got a concussion in January and am still struggling with symptoms. Exertion makes me feel bad so I can't do much. After being so active before - running, lifting weights, spinning, using my heavy bag, etc. - this has all made me very depressed. Running was a huge part of my identity and now it's gone.

Meanwhile, I've gained a whole bunch of weight due to inactivity and depression.

I know others have handled similar circumstances in much better ways than I have and I feel quite ashamed for my reaction.

Anyway, running and weights were what I stuck with - and planned on sticking with - because they worked for me mentally and phyically.

Erica

I'm sorry you are going through this. Dealing with long term pain and loss of ability to do things you loved doing is HARD!!!

frogribbit 05-23-22 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonana (Post 2966013)
I'm in a similar situation. It is tough. Mine is due to chronic mouth pain, probably nerve damage from years of teeth grinding. All movement irritates it and makes the pain worse. I worked out with Jessica Smith for years, and now I can't even walk around the block without increasing my pain. I was also very active and it is depressing.

I haven't gained weight, in fact I've lost a lot. That's because I can't chew, it also increases the pain. I grind up everything in my Ninja. I'm trying to eat healthier, putting fruit and veggies in smoothies, and cooking vegetables until they are very soft. But it isn't easy, that's for sure. And I miss chewing food, and being able to eat anything. Enjoyment of food is just as much about texture, as taste.

I have been put on a med that treats this, but I have to increase dosage slowly. If this one doesn't work, they will try another. I am hopeful that I can increase my activity if I find a med that works.

I hope you are able to slowly increase your activity. I'm reading a workbook I found on Amazon, Pain Management with CBT by Rachel Zoffness. She said that not moving can actually increase our pain. If we slowly increase movement, and tell our brains it's okay to move, that there is no danger, we can actually decrease pain. I'm not sure it will work in my situation, but I've realized I've been doing too much too fast. I'm trying to increase movement very slowly, and see how that goes.

I hope you find a med that works!!!

TinaT 05-29-22 11:49 AM

The FIRM & Rebounding.

cataddict 05-29-22 11:58 AM

I have stuck with Cathe through the years. I have been doing her workouts since the early 90s. I have changed my focus over the years to more weight training, but so has she.

Erica, I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. Sending gentle {{HUGS}}

Erica H. 05-29-22 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogribbit (Post 2966345)
I'm sorry you are going through this. Dealing with long term pain and loss of ability to do things you loved doing is HARD!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataddict (Post 2967041)

Erica, I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. Sending gentle {{HUGS}}

Thank you. In addition to all of this, we just have an enormous amount of life stress. It's been really hard :( Trying to keep it all in perspective - I know so many people now are going through tough times. I have terrible insomnia too so everything just feels so much worse with no sleep.

Erica

Leonana 05-29-22 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogribbit (Post 2966346)
I hope you find a med that works!!!

Thanks so much! The med seems to be working, slowly but it's a great start. It takes a few weeks.

annette 05-30-22 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataddict (Post 2967041)
I have stuck with Cathe through the years. I have been doing her workouts since the early 90s. I have changed my focus over the years to more weight training, but so has she.

Same here but started with her around 2000 after reading about her here on VF. I've also stuck with Karen Voight. Her perfect form and instruction keeps me coming back.