Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Everything in November :-) TheFIRM: Check-in, Stories & Tips (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231931)

Karla25 10-27-21 04:15 PM

Everything in November :-) TheFIRM: Check-in, Stories & Tips

The Firm played an important role in my entry into the world of home workouts back in the early 1990’s. I was in the best shape of my life doing The Firm workouts for over twenty years. Somehow, I got away from them and now want to revisit them for a month to see if The Firm workouts will work their magic once again.

This thread is not only a check-in, but a thread for advice, support and possibly some strolling down memory lane with The Firm stories. I’m starting the thread a few days early so VF members can look at rotations and plan their workouts.

Also, the check-in can be for as many, or as few days as you like. If you only do one The Firm workout for the month, please check-in and share your thoughts :) I hope that you will join in!

The FIRM VF Articles:

Inside The Firm

Inside The Firm Photo Album

Here are The FIRM promotional clips:

1. The Firm Infomercial BSS1 part 1

2. The Firm Infomercial BSS1 part 2

3. The Firm Infomercial BSS1 part 3

4. The FIRM Infomercial BSS2 - Sculpting Stick part 1

5. The FIRM Infomercial BSS2 - Sculpting Stick part 2

6. The FIRM Infomercial BSS2 - Sculpting Stick part 3

7. The FIRM BSS3 Infomercial part 1

8. The FIRM BSS3 Infomercial part 2

9. The FIRM BSS3 Infomercial part 3

10. The FIRM BSS4 - TransFIRMer part 1

11. The FIRM BSS4 - TransFIRMer part 2

12. The FIRM BSS4 - TransFIRMer part 3

13. The FIRM - Zip Trainer

14. The Firm: Win a Workout Weekend

15. The FIRM Promo: The WAVE System

16. The FIRM Promo: The FIRM Introduction Video (after 25 years)

17. The Firm Promo The Firm Believers FIRM Club Promotional Trailer

18. Firmology

19. 20 Questions About Fitness partial clip

:sun: The Firm 90 Day Rotation :sun:

:sun:WHFN Rotations:sun:

:sun:FitPrime Original Weekly Rotation:sun:

The Firm Believers’ Ultimate Compendium

Streaming The FIRM Workouts:

Gaia 7 Day Free Trial of The Firm

Fitness Favorites Pivot Share

About the Instructors:

Susan Harris IMDB

Clip of Janet Jones-Gretzky's Wedding Ceremony
Wayne & Janet Gretzky Christmas Card Video 1989
Janet in Dance Fever Clip

Sandahl Bergman Wikipedia
Sandahl Bergman's Body - Workout Vid, 1983
She (1982) - Sandahl Bergman
Sandahl Bergman Big Man on Mulberry Street

Best Director: Kai Soremekun

La Reine Chabut

Jayne Poteet Star Search 92

Pamela Cauthen Meriwether co-founded the Sakhi Yoga School in 2011

Allie Del Rio-fitnesscoach-salonowner

Karla25 10-27-21 07:16 PM

:sun: Interesting TheFIRM VF Threads :sun:

The Firm Book: Daily Dozen

The FIRM "shelf/ledge butt"...real or VF urban legend?

The Firm's Sandahl Bergman

Where have all the FIRM instructors gone?

Any 50+ going back to The Firm

The Five Toughest Firm Workouts

Pam61 10-27-21 09:01 PM

I didn't start doing FIRM workouts until they began introducing their systems in 2001. I had heard of them through VF back around that same time, but was never a FIRMie. :eek: I sort of skipped the Classics, even though I later acquired them, but I still never did them much. I did enjoy BSS1, BSS2, BSS3, and BSS4 with the release of each infomercial. Unfortunately I didn't stick with them for very long, probably because of the overwhelming number of video choices at the time. I also was looking for workouts that were a little less time consuming.

It will be nice to revisit some of these, as they have been gathering some dust. My plan is to start with the PowerFit workouts, since they're only 20 minutes. I'll add them to a Leslie Sansone walk (or two.) I may add a couple Pink Firm workouts (Super Body Sculpt) with Stephanie or something like Jiggle Free Arms (TransFIRMer set) again with Stephanie. I also like Tracie and her Basic Sculpting with Weights might come in handy here. But, it will be fun to play around with some of these again to add some strength segments to the walks I'm currently doing.

Thanks for providing some inspiration, Karla! :) Looking forward to checking in with you and other VFers for this November challenge!

DawnMarie 10-28-21 08:03 AM

This will be so FUN!!

I was a Firmie from the beginning. Sent away a check for each new release as a pre order. Hubby built me steps. I'd get up at 5am every weekday morning and get my Firm workout done before work. LOVE the newsletters and catalogs, and still have some. I also still have my clamshell cases.

Earlier this week I started a Firm rotation that I found. I am subbing some Ellen and Leslie into the mix, and I am looking forward to it.

Today was Volume 6.

donnamp 10-28-21 09:00 AM

Pam - I like your idea - about the PowerFits and Walking....that sounds like a good combo!

I started strength training b/c of the FIRM - there was something about it that made it enjoyable to me. I'm not a fan of strength work and always preferred cardio or circuits so the FIRM really hit the spot for me.

But, I'm about 20 years older now and I do have some nagging issues - so I do need to start out slowly and build up.

Donna

rhbrand 10-28-21 09:51 AM

OMG! This is amazing!
If I wasn't starting STS I'd get my Firms out and do them lol

I was in such good shape back when I was Firming all the time. Probably didn't hurt that I was also in my 20s and 30s.
Maybe after STS I'll do a couple months of Firming again

Karla25 10-28-21 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam61 (Post 2945098)
I didn't start doing FIRM workouts until they began introducing their systems in 2001. I had heard of them through VF back around that same time, but was never a FIRMie. :eek: I sort of skipped the Classics, even though I later acquired them, but I still never did them much. I did enjoy BSS1, BSS2, BSS3, and BSS4 with the release of each infomercial. Unfortunately I didn't stick with them for very long, probably because of the overwhelming number of video choices at the time. I also was looking for workouts that were a little less time consuming.

It will be nice to revisit some of these, as they have been gathering some dust. My plan is to start with the PowerFit workouts, since they're only 20 minutes. I'll add them to a Leslie Sansone walk (or two.) I may add a couple Pink Firm workouts (Super Body Sculpt) with Stephanie or something like Jiggle Free Arms (TransFIRMer set) again with Stephanie. I also like Tracie and her Basic Sculpting with Weights might come in handy here. But, it will be fun to play around with some of these again to add some strength segments to the walks I'm currently doing.

Thanks for providing some inspiration, Karla! :) Looking forward to checking in with you and other VFers for this November challenge!

Thanks :-) I also plan on easing back into The FIRM, but want to do Vol. 6 first because that was my first Firm workout. I have many of their workouts, but mostly the harder ones. The Classics and Cross Trainers have always been my favorites :heart: also, The Firm Parts :heart:

Jane P. 10-28-21 06:31 PM

Vol 6 was also my favorite because it had no push ups and no lunges, both moves are problematic for me because of preexising issues. I even bought their barbell which I didn't really need. I remember those hover squats, not sure I'm ready for those LOL! Probably won't do their ab work since I prefer Pilates, but since it's always separate, it shouldn't be too hard to skip.

I did a lot of Charlene Prickett in the old days, but since she didn't have a Saturday show, I'd do a Firm then.

PS My very first vid purchase was Firm 1, but I had to work up to it. It was really tough.

psupam 10-28-21 07:05 PM

For years I ran and did other cardio. Running went when my knees did. I found out at the age of 52, as a result of a research study I was in, that I had osteopenia. Got much more interested in weights. I started with BSS1 as I wasn't crazy about the gym. Stuck with it for years but as knees got worse what I could do was much more limited. I had both knees replaced last year and slowly built back up what I could do. I am happy to be doing the FIRM again (as well as walking, Zumba and step). I modify as needed.

Venus 10-28-21 08:41 PM

Thank you for all the links, Karla :D

I'm glad the check-in started early. It's fun to read through everyone's plans for next month- lots of options with The Firm!

My first Firm was Ultimate Fat Burning Workout with Alison Davis. It was one of my first fitness DVDs when I started working out at home. I have some of the Classics on VHS; Volume 1 with Susan Harris was my favorite. I'm not using the VCR right now, though, so I won't do those in November. I haven't decided on a rotation yet, but I'll probably do mostly pink Firms, since I have the most of those. I thought about doing one instructor a week. So, one week of Alison workouts, one week of Allie, Kelsie, Rebekah, etc.

FirmDancer 10-29-21 08:22 AM

WOW!! Thank you for all the great links! Such fun :sun:

My first workout video was Vol 2. I always had to split it in half. So proud of myself on the few days that I could do the entire workout at one time. I collected all the FIRMS. But actually, I didn't like them too much. I didn't like that some had endless repetitions of a certain move, or that the reps were random - maybe lunges would be 16 reps, shoulder press would be 5 reps - that sort of randomness. It made me feel disorganized for some reason.

But I loved the 4-limb moves and I really enjoy the BSS series and the Pink FIRMSs. That's what I'll be using for this check-in, along with going thru the WHFN workouts.

I've noticed that on days where I am physically active with moving, carrying, loading stuff (I'm in the process of major de-cluttering) that I feel better. To that end, I am going to focus on the "strength" workouts, rather than pure cardio. I may mix in some Jessica Smith and KCM.

-Anita

Karla25 10-29-21 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnMarie (Post 2945130)
This will be so FUN!!

I was a Firmie from the beginning. Sent away a check for each new release as a pre order. Hubby built me steps. I'd get up at 5am every weekday morning and get my Firm workout done before work. LOVE the newsletters and catalogs, and still have some. I also still have my clamshell cases.

Earlier this week I started a Firm rotation that I found. I am subbing some Ellen and Leslie into the mix, and I am looking forward to it.

Today was Volume 6.

:heart: That's dedication :heart: I used to workout with my kids after work to Vol. 1 & 2 sometimes. I'd be too embarrassed to workout with them now, but it was fun back then. We made some good memories :)

gladgirl 10-29-21 10:26 AM

Thank you, Karla, for putting all this together.
I started w/V1 VHS back in the day.
Used them over the years, on and off...due to new love...kettlebells.

But little did I know, my DD were watching and after all this time, they approached me to do a "Visible results in 10 workouts" challenge.

Still doing it, but looking to mix in walking workouts and focusing on the more strength vs cardio focused ones.

Seems like I am a FIRMIE, FIRM Believer, etc for life!

Karla25 10-30-21 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladgirl (Post 2945285)
Thank you, Karla, for putting all this together.
I started w/V1 VHS back in the day.
Used them over the years, on and off...due to new love...kettlebells.

But little did I know, my DD were watching and after all this time, they approached me to do a "Visible results in 10 workouts" challenge.

Still doing it, but looking to mix in walking workouts and focusing on the more strength vs cardio focused ones.

Seems like I am a FIRMIE, FIRM Believer, etc for life!

You’re welcome :) I also look forward to hearing more about your workouts in November.

Karla25 10-30-21 12:13 PM

I pulled the trigger and purchased CardioWeight System, Total Body Toner & Cardio Sculpt Fusion this morning.

:D Does this make me a Prepper? :D

I’m looking forward to November. I’m going to try on a pair of snug fitting pants on Nov. 1st. and at the end of the month to see if there’s any difference.

:sun: No stepping on scales for this girl. :sun:

KarenJo 10-30-21 12:35 PM

I found the original 20 Questions About Fitness video on YouTube. This ws at the end of most of the VHS workouts in the classics days. Way pre-Gaiam, even though this post has a Gaiam intro.

kat999 10-30-21 02:47 PM

I always come back to the FIRM and am doing a little unstructured FIRM rotation right now in between other systems. I love every single era and lately find that I actually like the pinks the best. Planning on one today but not sure which. :sun:

DawnMarie 11-01-21 09:57 AM

Happy November 1st.

I am in week 2 of a 90 Day Joint Friendly Rotation. Checking in with Better Body and Buns. I love how colorful this session is. My first go around with The Firm, I missed anything past the cross trainers. So, this is a workout I have acquired within the last 5-7 years.

Karla25 11-01-21 10:51 AM

Nov. 1

Today was a pink :-) I had hoped to do something more challenging, but decided to play it safe.

Fat-Burning Sculpting Ball workout is a 30 minute cardio workout with light toning and ab work -both standing and floor. I did this one barefoot. It's mostly low impact. I had no problem with the few jumps. I like Tina as an instructor :sun:

DawnMarie 11-01-21 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karla25 (Post 2945588)
Nov. 1

Today was a pink :-) I had hoped to do something more challenging, but decided to play it safe.

Fat-Burning Sculpting Ball workout is a 30 minute cardio workout with light toning and ab work -both standing and floor. I did this one barefoot. It's mostly low impact. I had no problem with the few jumps. I like Tina as an instructor :sun:

How heavy is the ball in this one? It's one of the few Firms I do not own.

wendug 11-01-21 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnMarie (Post 2945595)
How heavy is the ball in this one? It's one of the few Firms I do not own.

The background exercisers use different weight balls in this one. When I bought the dvd it included the 8 pound soft ball. But I normally just use a 6 pound ball when I do this workout. You could use a 4 lb. or 2 lb. ball if you want- depending on what feels best for you. BTW- I think this workout is really fun!

DawnMarie 11-01-21 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendug (Post 2945601)
The background exercisers use different weight balls in this one. When I bought the dvd it included the 8 pound soft ball. But I normally just use a 6 pound ball when I do this workout. You could use a 4 lb. or 2 lb. ball if you want- depending on what feels best for you. BTW- I think this workout is really fun!

Thank you! I may be on the lookout for it.

kat999 11-01-21 02:31 PM

Today I did Bust and Butt, which is a compilation of several late-era original series. The focus is on pushups, upright rows, French press, and lots of lunges and dips. No tall box climbs, which is nice, but there is also a challenging abs segment. I used 4, 6, and 8 lbs., plus the green Sculpting Stick in lieu of a barbell.

Pam61 11-01-21 03:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Today I did Stephanie's Power Fit (Chest, Triceps and Butt) workout. She moves quickly between exercises and I subbed the flat latex band with Leslie's Miracle Miles band for most exercises, with a few modifications. Sometimes I was pausing the DVD between exercises to set up the band. Doing some of the floorwork on hands and knees, I didn't have enough padding with just a yoga mat (on top of tile flooring) so will grab a thicker mat for future workouts. It's been so long since I've done these, it took me a bit to get with the flow. :p Stephanie is so sweet and adorable, though.

I'm also adding daily walks to the mix. Last month I used mostly Leslie walks, so for November I switched to Jenny Ford's Walk Across America. Today was the Detroit, Michigan walk 16/50 since that's where I think I left off the last time I did these. ;) On the days I don't have time for 30 minute walks, I'll grab something else.

I like Tina's ball workout, too! So, I've pulled that one out to give it a try again.

This will be fun! :sun:

leigh1673 11-01-21 04:12 PM

My plan for Nov and Dec is to rotate Firms and cardio (mostly Jessica, Leslie and Ellen Barrett).

I just re-subscribed to Gaia and have done 3 "Pink" firms in the past week - Total Body Time Crunch, Hi-def Sculpt and Total Body Toner. They are more challenging than I remember! I especially like Total Body Toner. :heart:

I'm planning to start incorporating the classics in the week ahead!

wendug 11-01-21 05:10 PM

Today I did Hard Core Fusion which I found on Daily Motion. I need to order this for my collection as I really enjoyed it.

This thread has inspired me to bring my Wave out of storage and do those workouts again. It's been stored away for about 4 years now so it has been quite a while. The last couple of months I've been doing the BSS series workouts and repurchased some that I had traded away (Ah, the saga of being a vidiot. ;) )

gladgirl 11-01-21 05:34 PM

Hello and how fun is this going to be!!!

I am shooting for 3 FIRM workouts per week. I will still be happy with two.
I have V1 and 5 for this week. My FIRM days will be Tues. Thurs. and Sat.
The other days will be my treadmill, cardio coach, Leslie, Callanetics, a step workout or some easier cardio. Shooting for 40-60 min on these.
I’m going to do 10-20 min Abs/stretch on cardio days.
Today it was a treadmill walk.

FirmDancer 11-01-21 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh1673 (Post 2945627)

I just re-subscribed to Gaia and have done 3 "Pink" firms in the past week - Total Body Time Crunch, Hi-def Sculpt and Total Body Toner. They are more challenging than I remember! I especially like Total Body Toner. :heart:

Those are some of my favorites !! yes, more challenging that I'd expect.

Venus 11-01-21 11:04 PM

I also plan to alternate Firm and cardio workouts for November. I will be adding Pilates (on cardio days) and daily yoga. I'll do Firm workouts Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Cardio and Pilates on Tuesday, Thursday. Weekends will be yoga only with an optional cardio or lower body day depending on my energy level.

Today I did:
The Firm: Ultimate Fat Burning Workout with Alison Davis
Yoga with Adriene: Yoga for Comfort and Nourishment 26 min

Pam61 11-02-21 11:12 AM

PowerFit Rotations

If anyone is interested in doing a specific PowerFit rotation here's a link that might be helpful. Stephanie created rotations that combine the sets and you can do one, two or three workouts per day. Or, you can choose to only do one set at a time and there are rotations for that, too! A lighter rotation combines walking on alternate days.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...erfit+rotation

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=169257

psupam 11-02-21 12:34 PM

Checking in with Total Muscle Shaping from BBS3. I plan to do Zumba, walking and step for cardio and the FIRM for strength.

Pam61 11-02-21 02:54 PM

Hello everyone,

Today did two PowerFit workouts (Legs and Shoulders) and (Cardio.) I also did a one mile Leslie walk, beforehand. I enjoyed these two more than the one I did yesterday, but it was mostly because I got behind with the band setup on the floor. Maybe best for me to preview the workouts so I know what's in store....yeah, right! ;)

Have a good day all!

ETA: I used the heavier green resistance band that came with one of the Powerfit sets. For some reason I was thinking there was only the purple band, but the green was definitely more of a challenge, especially during front raises for shoulder work.

Karla25 11-02-21 05:28 PM

Today's Firm was another pink :-)

The Sculpt & Tone Pilates is a 30 minute workout with Alison Davis as an instructor. The workout is perfect for beginners or those that are out of shape. The music is a pleasant, soft, jazz style. I like Alison as an instructor. She has a friendly personality.

This morning I did the 30 minute cardio portion of Ellen Barrett's Power Fusion. I followed Sculpt & Tone Pilates this evening with Ellen's Power15 arm work. Both of Ellen's workouts are good for shoulder mobility or for those dealing with a shoulder injury.

gladgirl 11-02-21 07:16 PM

I did FIRM V1 today.
Yes, it whooped my butt and the rest of my body.
Am using lighter weights but feeling very worked out, love the tough floor work on this one and the abs. A classic for sure!

Pam61 11-03-21 12:38 PM

Hello everyone,

Checking in with Day 3 of PowerFit workouts with Stephanie. Today I did Back, Biceps and Thighs and it was really great with no difficult setup with the band, LOL. Time also went quickly with this one! I also did a Leslie Two Mile Power Walk (with Friends.) And, you hold hand/wrist weights through parts of the miles. She's lively in this one, but I enjoyed it!

wendug 11-03-21 05:16 PM

Today I found Stephanie's Super Body Sculpt on YT from the BSS1 add on series. Due to all the similar sounding names of workouts I've never done this workout before as I thought it was another workout. Anyway, I really like this workout! I was able to really heavy up on this as each muscle is isolated for the weight work- no compound moves. It was nice to pull out my 25 & 20 pound dumbbells! But when it comes to the leg press I don't go heavier than 12 pound dumbbells. My heart rate goes high with 12 pounders I don't think I could go higher than that.

Karla25 11-03-21 05:20 PM

This morning was a 20 minute Classical Stretch #703 which is great for shoulders and hips. I followed it with a 15 min. Yoga Burn band stretch from the Total Body Challenge set. I substituted a yoga strap for the band. This is absolutely one of my favorite stretching routines. Zoe does a great job with form pointers!

After cleaning house and then running errands, my energy was pretty much zapped when I finally got home. I just plugged in FIRM PARTS: 5 Day Abs and did Day 5 with Jayne Poteet. Simple and sweet :-)

Karla25 11-03-21 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendug (Post 2945873)
Today I found Stephanie's Super Body Sculpt on YT from the BSS1 add on series. Due to all the similar sounding names of workouts I've never done this workout before as I thought it was another workout. Anyway, I really like this workout! I was able to really heavy up on this as each muscle is isolated for the weight work- no compound moves. It was nice to pull out my 25 & 20 pound dumbbells! But when it comes to the leg press I don't go heavier than 12 pound dumbbells. My heart rate goes high with 12 pounders I don't think I could go higher than that.

Wow, that's impressive!

wendug 11-03-21 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karla25 (Post 2945876)
Wow, that's impressive!

Thanks! Since this is a relatively short workout I could go heavier. And the heaviest weights I used for legs and lat rows. I didn't use those weights for the whole workout! I remember when I first discovered the Firm (Tracie Long Maximum Body Shaping in the late 90s) I struggled with my 3, 5, & 8 pound weights. I've come a long way since then. ;)

fatkat555 11-03-21 09:25 PM

Last night I did the Hare.

I’ve been Firming again for 3 months now. I’ve lost 8 lbs!! Not bad for a peri/menopausal situation! I’d like to get 6-8 lbs off in addition so I’m keeping up with my Firms.

I should also state that I love all things barre, but I hit a wall and needed some comfort workouts so I returned to the Firm. Now I’ll alternate some days with barre.