Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bouncing back after Covid? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230227)

Marilyn 01-15-21 10:20 PM

Bouncing back after Covid?

I tested positive for Covid December 15th. I'd say I had a bad case but not so bad I was hospitalized. I'm so frustrated. I have tried to walk, do a short 15 minutes Pilates workout and that was last Sunday and Monday. Nothing since then I was so tired and breathless. I have gone back at work this week but I miss my movement. I had even signed up for The Balanced Life (Robin Long Pilates workouts) thinking they were short and would work but I don't think I am ready for them quite yet. Unfortunately the lingering symptoms are different for everyone and mine are primarily lung related. How long has it taken any of you who have had moderate cases of Covid to return to exercise?

dnna 01-15-21 10:30 PM

marilyn, wishing you good health and get well soon vibes coming right at you. I don't have the virus but when I was recovering from a broken leg I did a lot of the practices on yogavistatv. You can do some on youtube if you search for Sherry Zak Morris. some chair yoga dances will put a smile on your face. I also loved doing chair practice with Alicia from Australia. You could try a two week trial for free. I loved working for 30 minutes or an hour with the gentle chair yoga and just enjoyed being active while pretty unwell. It made me happy and I felt encouraged and if nothing else, I was getting some circulation going.

good luck, one day at a time

SEV 01-16-21 07:33 AM

Marilyn, so sorry you had the virus! I too am recovering from it. I'm just now almost three weeks out from starting to feel bad, so don't have any advice yet. I have felt much better this week, and made it fine working the whole week. Last weekend I wasn't sure I would be able to go everyday.

I'm going to try a light workout today and see how it goes. I'll probably do something from Ellen's streaming workouts. Some of those are very gentle. I will say weight training does not sound appealing at all, even using 3 pounds sounds exhausting. Usually I look forward to weight work.

I do believe we need to start very slowly and gently while regaining our strength.

Susan

Demeris 01-16-21 10:04 AM

Marilyn, my heart goes out to you, and I pray for your complete healing. My 32 year old niece, who is an athlete and a nurse, got Covid in September. She was hospitalized for 5 days. She still experiences some shortness of breath. This is one nasty virus.

prettyinpink 01-16-21 10:53 AM

Can you do just five minutes at a time, go slow, and split it up? Even just walking very short distances two or three times a day is a good way to start. No experience with a Covid, but recovery from other things. I hope you are getting medical care, too and that you feel better soon.

Pat58 01-16-21 01:06 PM

I am so sorry you went through this and are still recovering. :( I wish you the best.

I never had COVID but years ago I had a Hell Winter where I came down with a flu that somehow cycled back three times and ultimately turned to pneumonia and pleurisy. I understand what you're experiencing. I had to work my way up to walking to the mailbox at the end of our driveway and back. It did come back gradually.

Do you do yoga at all? Forward bends were very calming to my lungs, it takes pressure off of the chest and lets the lungs expand in the back. Lee Holden has a qigong video called Better Breathing. There are free YouTube qigong routines for the lungs, too:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...gong+for+lungs

momofcha 01-16-21 01:58 PM

Hugs to you. We all had it around the same time you did. My BF was hospitalized for 4 days. He still has horrible coughing spells and shortness of breath. He’s supposed to go back to work next Friday and I’m concerned - he has a very physical job.

I hope you heal quickly

DCW 01-16-21 04:53 PM

Wishing you and all a speedier and complete recovery.:love:

donnamp 01-16-21 05:10 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about the COVID and the lingering symptoms.

A suggestion that may work might be CocoLime Fitness - she has a Vimeo Channel for $8.95/month, a 90 day program you can buy and a You Tube channel.

Her workouts are designed for people w/ chronic health conditions - chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, etc.

Her longer workouts can be easily split up - in fact she tends to point out good stopping points.

Her website is:

https://cocolimefitness.com/

From there you can go to her Vimeo Channel or her MITFIT program

Good luck, I hope you feel better very soon.

Donna

kat999 01-16-21 07:53 PM

I'm so sorry, Marilyn. You might want to look for some workouts that can be done seated for a while until some of your strength and energy returns. There are some great chair yoga routines on YouTube. If you have Amazon Prime, some of Tracie Long's workouts for seniors are available streaming there; I've done a few of them when I want an active recovery day, and they're extremely gentle but still get you moving a little (and I'm not even a senior, I just like to take it easy sometimes).

It's very scary reading what can happen post-COVID in terms of speed or slowness of recovery. There are others still trying to feel better. Be forgiving and nurturing of yourself.