Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Revisiting the old FIRM (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=225735)

Sara1000 04-25-19 03:02 PM

Revisiting the old FIRM

Thought I'd work through all my old FIRM VHS, maybe for the last time (I'm 75 and I have a lot of them). I haven't done any of them for several years. I have given myself permission to do only part of a workout since they are mostly rather long and I don't like long workouts these days.

Started with Super Sculpting which has parts of Fat Blaster plus additional segments that weren't included in Fat Blaster. I did the first 20 minutes with Jenn and got a great upper body workout. I may keep this out as my go to upper body workout as it is quick but has 2-4 exercises for each muscle group.

These old FIRMs other than the 6 'Volumes' are really good, interesting workouts. The Volumes are good too, but not my favorites.

Anyone care to join me? Maybe a check-in?

kat999 04-25-19 04:00 PM

I still do old FIRMs all the time. I just did the Sandahl Bergman volume (was that originally #2 or 3?) that was re-titled Total Body Aerobics with Weights. I did the whole thing and even though I didn't use ankle weights or go as heavy as she does, it was honestly a great workout, and I felt like I got a good burn but wasn't exhausted. Volume 1 with Susan Harris is still one I have trouble finishing without taking a break, honestly, but I still pull that one out because I love the music.

I feel like the really old original ones I have on VHS only are fabulous, fun, and amusingly weird at times, but I also feel like if my VCR dies or a tape breaks, I'm not going to be rushing to replace them. I have a lot of my favorite FIRMs on DVD, and I like even the very recent sets before they rebranded and stopped using the FIRM name. A FIRM of any era has to be reallllly dreadful for me to get rid of it. I think the only ones I've gotten rid of have used weird bands or tubing, actually.

Sara1000 04-25-19 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat999 (Post 2820091)
I feel like the really old original ones I have on VHS only are fabulous, fun, and amusingly weird at times, but I also feel like if my VCR dies or a tape breaks, I'm not going to be rushing to replace them.

Same here :)

Sara1000 04-28-19 10:18 AM

Today got out Fat Blaster. What a fun workout! I modified like crazy on most of the aerobic segments but still got my HR up, and best or all, I really enjoyed it!

Since my renewed appreciation for the older FIRM workouts I've joined a classic FIRM group on FB and am amazed how many enthusiastic fans Anna Benson still has!

bubbles76 04-28-19 11:09 AM

Although I'm late to the party, I still love the Firm. Whenever I need a mental pick me up, a shot of fun, and a good workout without exhausting myself, I turn to the Firm. I do have to be careful with spacing them out, because my poor knees can only take so many leg presses. I gotta say, whenever I do another workout that requires leg presses, I'm mentally thanking the Firm for getting me ready lol!

kat999 04-28-19 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2820398)
I gotta say, whenever I do another workout that requires leg presses, I'm mentally thanking the Firm for getting me ready lol!

Relatedly, I NEVER have any dread factor for squats, lunges, or dips (or "reverse lunges," as most-non-FIRM titles call them), because the FIRM and related emphasizes them so much. Although I'm not sure that I personally notice a huge benefit in my leg or glut muscles as a result, but I can squat and lunge like a pro! :love:

One area that I think these workouts is weak on, though, is shoulders. I did a heavy shoulder workout on Friday, and I have had some not inconsiderable DOMS in my delts all weekend. This morning, even though I took yesterday as a workout rest day, my back was killing me, and I think it was overcompensating for my under-worked shoulders. I am slenderish and very pear shaped, so while my legs can handle a lot of "abuse," my upper body can be scrawny and hard to develop. Which I guess mirrors what the FIRM focuses on (or else I've overtrained on them over the years), but I don't tend to have trouble with reasonable upper-body focused AWT series. But doing thirty minutes of shoulders and delts was just murder on me. Not sure if anyone has an advice!

lizh 04-28-19 12:33 PM

I'm always up for a Firm challenge! I try a lot of other instructors and programs and always come back to the Firm. I have a bunch on VHS too.

If others want to do a check-in, I'm game! Or we can meet up on the fb group. Today I have "not so tough aerobic mix" on my schedule.

Garrie A. 04-28-19 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat999 (Post 2820401)
One area that I think these workouts is weak on, though, is shoulders. I did a heavy shoulder workout on Friday, and I have had some not inconsiderable DOMS in my delts all weekend. This morning, even though I took yesterday as a workout rest day, my back was killing me, and I think it was overcompensating for my under-worked shoulders. I am slenderish and very pear shaped, so while my legs can handle a lot of "abuse," my upper body can be scrawny and hard to develop. Which I guess mirrors what the FIRM focuses on (or else I've overtrained on them over the years), but I don't tend to have trouble with reasonable upper-body focused AWT series. But doing thirty minutes of shoulders and delts was just murder on me. Not sure if anyone has an advice!

Volume 2 is not weak on shoulders ;)

cdayley 04-28-19 10:05 PM

I love the Firm, and do 2 or 3 of their workouts per week. I modify the parts that hurt my knees (no tall box climbs or leg press). I'd love to do a check in!
Chrys Dayley

Carol K 04-29-19 06:05 AM

I'm 61 and I do FIRM and BeMax workouts 6 days per week. Not just the old FIRMs, all of them. In 2015 I replaced all my VHS FIRMs with DVD, except for the 6 compilations and the one Basic workout that I have. I have 106 FIRM workouts and with the 31 BeMax workouts, I never get bored, even though there are no more new workouts for me to buy.