Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OT Laundry question (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229439)

sherry7899 09-13-20 04:44 PM

OT Laundry question

I am sorry to ask this here, but I've seen other laundry/washing machine related questions posted.

My son bought a microfiber quilt. Of course it did not occur to him to check washing instructions before buying it. They say to wash it in a front loading machine, preferably a commercial machine. Well, we have a top loader with an agitator. Is it safe to wash the quilt in there? I don't know whether to chance or not. I hate the thought of dry cleaning it, or going to a laundromat (especially now). It would probably cost more than he spent on the quilt! Any tips? We have a delicate setting and a we have a "bulky items" setting on our machine.

Thank you!
Sherry

Gams 09-13-20 05:03 PM

As long as the quilt fits comfortably in your machine, I’d go for it. I’m the queen of not following laundry instructions and I have yet to ruin anything. Others may disagree.

Chris T. 09-13-20 05:09 PM

If it's cotton, I wouldn't dry it in a dryer, I'd hang dry it. And if it's cotton, I'd wash in cold or cool water, not hot. That way, it won't shrink.

sherry7899 09-13-20 05:13 PM

Thanks, Chris!

sherry7899 09-13-20 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gams (Post 2889968)
As long as the quilt fits comfortably in your machine, I’d go for it. I’m the queen of not following laundry instructions and I have yet to ruin anything. Others may disagree.

Thank you!

Leonana 09-13-20 05:37 PM

I've washed a queen sized microfiber comforter in our top loading machine with no problems. :)

sherry7899 09-13-20 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonana (Post 2889979)
I've washed a queen sized microfiber comforter in our top loading machine with no problems. :)

That's great! Thank you! Did you hang it up to dry?

Leonana 09-13-20 05:48 PM

No, I put it in the drier. It didn't dry completely, there were some damp spots, but it didn't seem to harm it. But it was an inexpensive one from Walmart. If it was an expensive quilt, and the instructions said to air dry, I'd probably try to air dry it, just to be on the safe side.

maitai 09-13-20 09:07 PM

Gams =i’m the queen of not following laundry instructions and i have yet to ruin anything.

jajajajajaja

Demeris 09-14-20 07:05 AM

I have a microfiber quilted duvet which I wash in my top load washer all the time. I dry it on the line, though, and not in the dryer because I'm afraid of melting it.

sherry7899 09-14-20 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeris (Post 2890023)
I have a microfiber quilted duvet which I wash in my top load washer all the time. I dry it on the line, though, and not in the dryer because I'm afraid of melting it.

Thank you! We do not have a clothesline, but I have a spot where I can drape it to dry inside.

Erica H. 09-14-20 08:12 AM

The only thing I'd be concerned about is damage to the quilt from the agitator in the top loader. I washed a comforter that had the same instructions in my top loader and it did get damaged. Good luck!

Erica

sherry7899 09-14-20 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2890031)
The only thing I'd be concerned about is damage to the quilt from the agitator in the top loader. I washed a comforter that had the same instructions in my top loader and it did get damaged. Good luck!

Erica

Thanks, Erica! Sigh...I wish he had not bought the thing! I will use the delicate setting, I guess.

Sherry