Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-06, 06:27 PM  
Heather_P

Yoga for Guys?

I'm looking for a recommendation for a yoga dvd that is guy-friendly. A friend of mine (male) took a yoga class and liked it, so I thought I'd get him a beginner video to do at home. He is turning thirty.

I'm trying to get into guy mentality: would guys rather see a guy yoga instructor they can relate to, or watch a hot girl instructor? Do I go for Rodney Yee or someone like Sara Ivanhoe? Do I get him power yoga so he can feel manly, or meditation/relaxation to get him started?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Heather
Heather_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 07:05 PM  
YOGISTEVEN

i think almost any baron baptiste would be a good starting point. if you want to go the "hot chick" route, mtv yoga or kristen mcgee's power yoga.
YOGISTEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 07:10 PM  
KathAL79

Sometimes it might be more about the routines than the instructor.
My df has tried Body Wisdom Media's Yoga for Every Body (thought it boring) and Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Series: Beginners (does the shoulder stretches on his own).
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 07:15 PM  
acescholar

My husband likes Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes -- which I bought him on the recommendation of several vf-ers. He shows one guy who is somewhat inflexible, and my husband followed him!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 07:16 PM  
Heather_P

I got a few extra copies of the MTV series when it was 1 cent yesterday (thanks to a post here!), so I'll give him one of those when I get it.

I'll look into the Baron Baptiste.

I saw Backyard Series mentioned on another post, but I can't find it on Collage or Amazon. Where is it available?

I was looking at Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes in the store today. I couldn't decide, so I left and came here for time-out before buying!
Old 04-02-06, 07:20 PM  
Heather_P

And what about Budokon? Anyone know anything about it? I've seen mixed reviews, but it seems like it might be interesting?
Old 04-02-06, 07:20 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Eoin Finn

Erich Schiffman, Tilak Pyle are great for both genders.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 07:22 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

My husband likes Rodney Yee's original Power Yoga videos (Stamina, strength & flexibility), but I don't know what Gaiam is calling them these days. I think he mostly likes them because they are short. Baron Baptiste and Bryan Kest both drive him nuts (even though he did go to a BK workshop with me several years ago). But YMMV and that.

What kind of class did your friend go to that he liked?
Old 04-02-06, 07:26 PM  
Heather_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S.

What kind of class did your friend go to that he liked?

I'm not sure what kind of class it was. He's in grad. school, and another student was getting certification, so she gave them all free lessons. I know he did sun salutations (which I'm not a fan of, but he seemed to like them), and he has since been practicing whatever poses they did in class. He lives in another state, so I haven't actually seen what they did.
Old 04-02-06, 07:27 PM  
KathAL79

Except for Yoga Mind & Body, Erich Schiffmann's DVDs are only available from his site. As far as I know, no one's had major problems ordering from him, although if he's at a workshop there might be a slight delay in getting out your order.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote