Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-14, 06:26 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Good, balanced article on steady state cardio vs. HIIT

I read this and found it to be a good, balanced article about the relative advantages of steady-state cardio and HIIT:

LINK
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 07:32 PM  
Chomper

Thanks. That was interesting!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 09:36 PM  
Vee

As I grow older, I appreciate steady state more. Just the thought of doing HIIT every workout makes my joints ache.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 09:50 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I thought it was great because it wasn't anti-HIIT, but it wasn't anti-steady state either, and pointed out very factually that they train different systems, that both are necessary to be well-rounded, that both have drawbacks if overused, blah blah blah. No hype, no crap.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 10:02 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Nice article.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 11:58 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I'm so glad to see a treatment like this. I never doubted the research around the benefits of HIIT, but I intuitively knew that steady state has a place in a workout, and it was frustrating hearing everyone put it down as a wimpy waste of time (ok ...exaggerating a bit there .)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 12:56 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I'm so glad to see a treatment like this. I never doubted the research around the benefits of HIIT, but I intuitively knew that steady state has a place in a workout, and it was frustrating hearing everyone put it down as a wimpy waste of time (ok ...exaggerating a bit there .)
No, I don't think it was exaggeration since I felt the same vibe. Turns out I've adopted exactly what the article said was good without any outside advice. I tend to avoid extremism as much as possible, especially in exercise, diet and politics!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 04:53 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

A friend of mine told me steady-state was 'a total waste of time'. I'd agree that HIIT has some science on it's side for fat loss, etc., but steady state is still movement! Movement is good. I just think we also have to factor in do-ability for people. Some people won't do HIIT, but they'll do steady-state. It's more sustainable for many.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 06:13 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I loved this quote, it is so "me" !!!

“So many people these days are stressed out, on the go, can’t relax, can’t shut down,” says Robertson. “And then they go to the gym and stress their bodies more with high-intensity workouts. But what they need is more steady-state, chill-you-out workouts.”

I learned the hard way that I couldn't push all day and then push at the gym too. A nice moderate walk and yoga ended up more beneficial for me. Now I'm trying to stick to one or two high intensity workouts a week, as long as I'm getting the parasympathetic steady-state cardio first.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 08:22 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I appreciate this. I always wonder about the trainers who say steady-state is a complete waste that will make you fat. How do they justify that with the fact that walkable communities tend to have a thinner populace, that people lose weight when they adopt dogs who need walks, studies show a positive health correlation over 10-12,000 steps/day, and that endurance athletes are not exactly big tubs of lard!

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state cardio