Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-13, 09:09 AM  
neatski

My chiropractor worked magic- what's been your magic ticket for healing?

I've been suffering so much from pubis symphysis pain since 7 months into my pregnancy that I had to stop even doing barre workouts because I could barely walk, let alone lift my legs. I've never gone to a chiropractor before but my midwives suggested it. Here I am, 4 adjustments later, and not only am I back to doing barre, I snatched my kettlebells last night for the first time SINCE I BECAME PREGNANT. I was too sick in the first trimester and the structural instability started in the 2nd, so I haven't felt safe doing that. I felt so, so, so great last night. At 8 months along, I am a walrus, but I am a walrus that can snatch kettlebells!!

I don't know if I buy into ALL the things chiropractors say they help with, but for structural stuff like loosened joints from pregnancy, I am a complete believer now.

What professional, exercises or system helped you recover from debilitating pain or injury?

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:14 AM  
beth22

Neatski--I can't believe you're 8 months along already! I feel like just yesterday you were telling us you were newly preggo

The chiro has helped me a lot too and definitely made it possible for me to continue working out. I haven't been in a while and I can definitely feel it

Congrats on snatching your bell again!
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:15 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I think I need to see a chiro too... I have a twinge in my back that I'd like it to go away. Does insurance cover chiro? How much does it usually cost?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:21 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

That's one incredible chiropractor. I find they vary by light years from the type that can get you up and going about your life again in a few visits with maintenance if needed -- and the type that suck you into long-term "treatment plans." Those types tend to pay a lot of attention to you for the first few visits, then you get 45 second fly-bys. It's best to get a lot of recommendations from both your doctors and acquaintances.

HDW, most chiros are covered by insurance, and you pay your co-pay for a doctor visit for each treatment.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:41 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have a great massage therapist that can work wonders on my hip and back pain. I had kind of cut him out of the budget but finally went to see him yesterday. I feel so much better.

I have had good chiros and bad ones. I wish I could find one that was a good match for me. It's been a long time since I've been adjusted.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:52 AM  
cfwb

I love my massage therapist, too. I've had braces for the past 2 years, and she's helped with getting my teeth to move just a little faster. She's also worked wonders on helping me heal from a fall.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 10:20 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have been in physical therapy for my back. They have definitely helped me improve - no question. However, with all that improvement, it felt like I was never going to reach the finish line, to be done with the back pain. It's like they are designed to help me improve, but not get over it. Of course, maybe I'm just overly impatient.

Then, I heard here at VF (where else) about Foundation Training. I tried a couple of their free YouTube videos and immediately my back felt better. So, I ordered the book and DVD by them. I decided to go through the book before I use the DVD because I'm afraid if I go with the DVD first, I'll never read the book and get the background info. However, the book has some workouts and I have done the basic workout twice. Again, immediately, my back has felt better. I have been trying to go off pain medication and I skipped my morning dose this morning and am doing fine.

It's like magic, so I plan on doing Foundation Training 3-4 times a week in the midst of doing my PT exercises as well.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 12:17 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

When my back injury was acute, physical therapy was the magic that kept the surgeon away, and in fact the home exercises I learned there (a 10 minute sequence) if done religiously 2x/day everyday, still keeps the pain away. In addition, massage therapy during that time helped me get by and function. However, while I continue my PT stretches and massage therapy,, pilates is what took me into normal territory with my back after PT stabilized me.

Recently, I discovered acupuncture which, frankly, has been sublime in the benefits I received from it. I truly have a gifted practitioner, and I wish I had tried it at an earlier time in my life.

As far as exercise, Pilate's opened up a world for me, and Callanetics and T-Tapp continues that experience.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 12:40 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh neatski! I had the Exact.Same.Thing when I was pregnant with my first!!! I was about 7 months along and was letting our dog out of his kennel when he got away from me. I took a large step toward him and BAM! The searing pain of a pubic symphysis joint dislocation about brought me to my knees. I could barely walk for two days and then my midwife recommended this chiropractor just like yours. I had never gone to one prior to that and it made me a believer, too (at least in that particular chiro ).

I used to go to her and her husband for low back issues but ever since I started working out and strengthening my core and posterior chain I rarely have to go in. Once in a while my neck will get tweaked and I will pay them a visit but it's only once in a blue moon these days.

I'm so glad you got some relief! I feel your pain, literally!
Old 09-27-13, 01:02 PM  
desderata

For piriformis syndrome, the hips and legs section of Mimi Solaire's Yin Yoga Deep Stretch. I had a very inflamed piriformis and pain radiating all the way down my leg and up into my back. I went to a chiropractor for several sessions and it did not help at all and even aggravated it a bit. Then I started using the hip and leg section of my Yin Yoga dvd and it really helped.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote