Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-10, 04:48 PM  
akaAnnie

Ab straps with your pull up bar?

Do you use ab straps with your pull up bar? Are they worth getting or not? We need a new bar and I'm wondering whether or not to spring for the ab straps. Thanks!
Ann
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 05:46 PM  
Taiga

I personally love ab straps ---- have had a set for several years. I refuse to do any type of ab work on the floor so the straps and kickboxing/kettlebells/standing core work are my mainstays. I know a lot of folks have mentioned the effectiveness of the flatback work in barre DVDs (such as Fluidity). Ab straps are the pumped of version of flatback work. They are great great for core/hip flexor strengthening. I have the Valeo brand (which I love). They have large spring clips and very comfortable padding.

ETA: I also use resistance bands with my pull-up bar to work my abs. I put the band around the bar and then stand (or kneel depending on the length of the resistance band) with my back to the bar. Grab the handles of the band and let the tubing drape on your shoulders. Your elbows will be tucked in next to your ribs (hands in a boxing position). Then start to do essentially standing crunches. The resistance makes for very effective ab work. Sometimes I'll kneel and start with my arms straight up in the air and crunch until the handles of the bands reach my knees. If you don't want to invest in straps initially, this can be a great way to add ab work via the bar.
Old 04-24-10, 06:24 PM  
DebbieRN

I also have the Valeo brand and love them too. They are always attached to my pull up bar, but tucked under the door frame. I had carpal tunnel so sometimes it's a little painful to use my hands to pull up and just hanging is challenging enough.
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 06:52 PM  
akaAnnie

Thanks! I am thinking of getting the Gofit assisted pullup station-I need the assistance and my son would like the grip variations, and at almost 6'2 the added height would be good for him too. They have the option of adding the ab straps and I didn't know if they were worth it. I hate floor ab work so they would be worth a try.
Ann
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 07:23 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
Thanks! I am thinking of getting the Gofit assisted pull-up station-I need the assistance and my son would like the grip variations, and at almost 6'2 the added height would be good for him too. They have the option of adding the ab straps and I didn't know if they were worth it. I hate floor ab work so they would be worth a try.
Ann
Me too, trying to decide to get an Iron Gym and then buy some bands to assist in the pull up or buy the Gofit assisted pull up station with the ab strap, if you do purchase the Gofit assisted pull up station, let us know what you think about it......thanks in advance
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 11:36 AM  
Cuddlebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I personally love ab straps ---- have had a set for several years. I refuse to do any type of ab work on the floor so the straps and kickboxing/kettlebells/standing core work are my mainstays. I know a lot of folks have mentioned the effectiveness of the flatback work in barre DVDs (such as Fluidity). Ab straps are the pumped of version of flatback work. They are great great for core/hip flexor strengthening.
I have and use both ab straps on my pull-up bar and a Fluidity bar and I have to say that I think the flat-back exercises using the Fluidity bar are harder! I can do many more hanging leg raises and knee raises using my ab straps than flat-back ab exercises using the Fluidity bar. I think doing the seated flat-back work isolates the TA muscles of my abdomen more than the hanging ab work does. However, I think both are incredibly effective and I use both on a weekly basis. And like the other posters, I LOVE my ab straps. They make a world of difference when using my chin-up bar. Just my two cents.
Cuddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 01:01 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebug View Post
I have and use both ab straps on my pull-up bar and a Fluidity bar and I have to say that I think the flat-back exercises using the Fluidity bar are harder! I can do many more hanging leg raises and knee raises using my ab straps than flat-back ab exercises using the Fluidity bar. I think doing the seated flat-back work isolates the TA muscles of my abdomen more than the hanging ab work does. However, I think both are incredibly effective and I use both on a weekly basis. And like the other posters, I LOVE my ab straps. They make a world of difference when using my chin-up bar. Just my two cents.
Depending on the goal, different methods do have their advantages. If you are looking to isolate the TA muscles then the Fluidity flatback work is great for that. When I said that ab straps allowed a pumped up version of flatback work, I was referring more to the fuller range of motion and the ability to concentrate on greater total core activation ("functional" fitness type moves). As far as perceived difficulty, I think part of that would depend on the type of leg raises you choose to do on the ab straps. Here is an example of the type of moves I include. You get a lot more bang for your buck (core wise) than with standard horizontal leg raises. Of course, I love having the variety and agree that both ab straps and Fluidity are great options in the war against standard boring crunch work (is my bias showing).
Old 04-25-10, 05:01 PM  
Cuddlebug

Taiga, that move on the link that you posted is actually a "blast from the past" for me. He's doing about three-fourths of a pull-over in gymnastics. It's a move that I used to use in order to mount the high bar on the uneven bars. For working on ab strength, we used to pull up and over very slowly and then reverse that move, also very slowly. It's definatley a great ab strengthener, but I find that it's too easy for me to cheat on that move with momentum or muscle substitution. My TA muscle has been my nemesis since giving birth to 3 kids in 3 1/2 years. I've been in a pitched battle with it for over seven years now, so I'm always hyper-focused on moves that will isolate it. Guess that's my particular bias showing thru!
Cuddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 06:02 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebug View Post
Taiga, that move on the link that you posted is actually a "blast from the past" for me. He's doing about three-fourths of a pull-over in gymnastics. It's a move that I used to use in order to mount the high bar on the uneven bars. For working on ab strength, we used to pull up and over very slowly and then reverse that move, also very slowly. It's definatley a great ab strengthener, but I find that it's too easy for me to cheat on that move with momentum or muscle substitution. My TA muscle has been my nemesis since giving birth to 3 kids in 3 1/2 years. I've been in a pitched battle with it for over seven years now, so I'm always hyper-focused on moves that will isolate it. Guess that's my particular bias showing thru!
LOL---- yep, I did those same gymnastic moves. If you are worried about cheating, just add ankle weights or grab a 10lb medicine ball with your feet That always kicks the momentum right out from under me any way. Seriously though, I like both ab straps and flatback work a lot. I will never understand how folks tolerate the standard floor crunch routine. I could not even tolerate a full rotation of the stuff (mind numbing!!!) and on top of that I could swear it added "pooch". Hanging seems to stretch, flatten and strengthen nicely. Not to mention, pullovers on the elementary school monkey bars still buy a lot of respect

ETA : Best of luck with the TA battle ---- if it won't surrender at least you can make it pay LOL