Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-08, 12:10 AM  
sammycakes

Not looking for controversy - Any Christians Here who practice Kundalini Yoga?

I was reading the reviews of one of Ravi/Ana's DVDs (the beginner one) and it mentioned that if you were not into new agey/mind/body connection you would not like it. Does this mean that you cannot integrate this discipline with a Christian faith, or can you? I don't mean this to be a controversial question, but don't want to spend the $ if many Christians have found the two incompatible.
Old 01-29-08, 03:46 AM  
CarlaShanti

I was raised in the Bible belt and I practise kundalini yoga, at least Ravi & Ana's version of it, which to me is sort of 'kundalini lite'. I am not now a practising Christian (I am Buddhist now) but I think I have a perspective that might be useful. I think that SOME Christians might find the chanting in Sanskrit uncomfortable. ("But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." -Matthew 6:7) And the actual translation of some of the chants MAY be objectionable to some Christians:

Ong so hung--Creator, I am Thou
Ra ma da sa say so hung--Sun, moon, earth, infinity, I am thou
Sa ta na ma--Infinity, life, death, rebirth
Guru guru wahe guru, guru ram das guru--Dispeller of Darkness. Infinite Wisdom. Wise is the one who serves Infinity. (that's one translation anyway)

I hope these examples are taken as they were meant--I have presented practices and concepts that I do think that some Christians might have difficulties with. I am not trying to be controversial. I do think it is possible to practice kundalini yoga and be a Christian, but there may elements that can be perceived to be incompatible.
Old 01-29-08, 06:29 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I am a christian and I practice kundalini yoga, however for the chanting I substitue Bible scripture and feel a closer connection with the Lord. I have only done the Ultimate stretch and Navel Power and a couple of others I have yet to try.
Old 01-29-08, 09:02 AM  
Nancy511

That would be my suggestion, to substitute favorite bible verses. I personally, gave up all yoga because of my Christian faith, I didn't really care for it anyway! It's a personal decision.

There are alternatives for Christians out there. Janine Turner just released a Christian 'yoga' workout, and there are others.

Best wishes to you
Old 01-29-08, 09:18 AM  
cherimac

I'm a Christian and am not comfortable practicing Kundalini. However, as Nancy says, it's a decision that you need to make~and substituting Scripture might be a great way to do that.
Old 01-29-08, 09:56 AM  
JaneTP

I am a Christian and really Ana & Ravis workouts are so not new agey to me. Yes, they have an opening chant - in Kundalini Yoga you chant Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo instead of the Om as in other Yoga practices. It means (I call upon my higher self to help me do my best - or something along those lines). So this isn't a call to any god but to your inner focus the way I interpret it. Anyway, you can skip this tune in. And yes they often end with a sung mantra (again you can skip it). I do the whole thing and find no conflict.They had a newsletter awhile back with this question and they said something like "Yoga is not a religion, but something you should do religiously" (sorry to Ana & Ravi if thats not exactly right).

The rest is just yoga! Except that they ask you to meditate on the mantra Sat Nam while you meditate but they say this is just a way to kep your mind focused on something positve to keep your mind off chores, laundry etc. whatever keeps coming back. Sat Nam actually means "The truth within" which to me just reminds me to be myself. Ultimately, from what I've read, Yoga seems to me to be another way of honoring God. I think the suggestion to substitue Bible scripture is a good one. I don't think Yoga is a religion unless someone wants to relate to it as such.
Old 01-29-08, 10:05 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I'm not that comfortable with the opening and closing mantras and usually just skip them. I'm glad to hear what Sat Nam means as I'll feel more comfortable using it.
Old 01-29-08, 10:24 AM  
Calistro

I have decided to delete my views.

Calistro

Last edited by Calistro; 01-29-08 at 11:06 AM. Reason: dont want to cause controversy
Old 01-29-08, 10:48 AM  
cardlady

As a former Catholic and now practicing Lutheran

As a former Catholic and now a practicing Lutheran, I do Kundalini Yoga and feel there is no conflict with my religious beliefs. Anyone that believes we each have a soul cannot disagree with the suggestion to bring out the best of that part. At the end of the workouts with Ravi and Ana, she usually says "God Bless You" and I accept that in the way in which it was meant. One of the main things I disliked about the Catholic Church was their idea of exclusivity believing that they only have the true religion. I try to include other ideas when thinking about God and know we are all seeking and worshiping the same One.
Old 01-29-08, 12:01 PM  
KathAL79

Cardlady, it depends upon the order and person. I personally know at least priest who has no qualms practicing Zen meditation, for example; however, others even within his order express uneasiness. (Some people find answers in the prescripts of their particular group while others find them in their heart, depending upon their beliefs, comfort level, etc.)

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
Closed Thread