Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-13, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation When losing weight is NOT a good thing...

I got through the holiday season and actually lost weight. In fact, I weigh less than I have for several years. I was proud of myself until I took a good look at my nekkid self in the mirror. Then I realized that have mostly lost muscle (aka lean body mass).

Starting in mid-2012, I was sick for several months with a recurring cold. Plus, we had some home improvement (i.e. bad contractor) problems. These idiots had to come by several times a week for months to try to fix things. So, while I was still doing workouts, I was too tired to do hard ones. In fact, by December, all I could find the ambition to do was Leslie Sansone and Lee Holden Qi Gong.

Also, our senior citizen kitty was having problems and I was so worried about her and stressed out. (She is better now.)

A few years ago, I had done Cathe's STS and had gained 5 lbs of muscle mass. That seems to have melted away in the last six months. I need to keep up with some heavy weight training to maintain bone mass.

OK, I know what I need to do. I have tons of great workouts. I need to put a rubber band around my head and snap out of it!

Just be warned that weight loss is not always a blessing!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 12:58 PM  
upperwside

Yes.. SO true! Get lifting girl!! Have you heard about Body Beast... if you love STS (i do) it may be a fun way to mix it up. I think i have had my best results rotating the 2 programs. Have fun gaining weight!! and Body Beast questions.. just fire away..
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 01:00 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Snap out of it, Alta! . Sorry to hear it, but you have the right Alta-tude to correct it!

This is why I'm concerned when I see threads asking what type of workouts are best for weight loss. Or even what type of diet to follow for weight loss. Weight is one thing. It's not weight you want to lose - it's FAT. That's where exercise enters the equation - to assure that you don't lose muscle while you're eating to lose fat.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 01:03 PM  
fit44

How are you mixing STS & Body Beast?
I abandoned XTrain because I want to gain muscle, and I don't think it will get the job done. I'll revisit it when I need some lighter workouts. I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer right now, but I can't wait to get back to Body Beast.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 02:53 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
how are you mixing sts & body beast?

this!
Old 01-21-13, 06:21 PM  
upperwside

I did a few weeks (4 or so) of BB and then did 2 weeks of STS (Meso 1 week one then Meso 2 week 2).. but i would do the STS weight work 3 days back to back.. upper, lower then upper.. then i would do a cardio HIIT day ... then STS again as to hit all body parts twice in a week with STS.. then back to BB. I am doing this again now as i was not lifting heavy over the holidays and i SOO missed it. I then got Xtrain and was disappointed in the weight work.. but LOVE the cardio and the cardio legs!! So with BB i am adding them in here and there. Does that sound crazy.. i tend to ramble!

I think the 2 best dvd systems i have ever made was STS and Body Beast.. love BB a bit more..

Adding.. i am not doing Beast legs.. i am doing plyo legs or Asylum 2 legs (LOVE that workout!!). My legs got nice and muscular as i was doing some heavy work on my own... so now i feel i do not need to work them as much. Will try that for a while and toss in a really heavy day here and there. BB legs moves too fast to go really heavy.. plus i like to work with my machines for legs to build.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 06:47 PM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I did a few weeks (4 or so) of BB and then did 2 weeks of STS (Meso 1 week one then Meso 2 week 2).. but i would do the STS weight work 3 days back to back.. upper, lower then upper.. then i would do a cardio HIIT day ... then STS again as to hit all body parts twice in a week with STS.. then back to BB. I am doing this again now as i was not lifting heavy over the holidays and i SOO missed it. I then got Xtrain and was disappointed in the weight work.. but LOVE the cardio and the cardio legs!! So with BB i am adding them in here and there. Does that sound crazy.. i tend to ramble!

I think the 2 best dvd systems i have ever made was STS and Body Beast.. love BB a bit more..

Adding.. i am not doing Beast legs.. i am doing plyo legs or Asylum 2 legs (LOVE that workout!!). My legs got nice and muscular as i was doing some heavy work on my own... so now i feel i do not need to work them as much. Will try that for a while and toss in a really heavy day here and there. BB legs moves too fast to go really heavy.. plus i like to work with my machines for legs to build.
I agree. I've decided to rotate through Jamie Eason's Live Fit (I have major DOMs from LF), Body Beast, and STS. I love legs in XTrain and I'm using them as a second leg day doing LF. One day heavy on machines & squats, one day lighter more volume (Cathe).

Thanks for sharing!
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 09:23 AM  
JulieIL

No workout advice (besides choosing something that you enjoy), just popping in to say that you are sure due some good times ahead. I also went through an extremely stressful time last year, and while I lost weight I was also left feeling depleted from the muscle loss. Do whatever you enjoy to get back in the groove. Take care

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 09:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sorry, not too crazy about Sagi/Body Beast. DH is doing the rotation now and I find Sagi really annoying. I wish there was a "Less Sagi" option.

I'll probably work my way back up to Cathe and Cory.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 09:53 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Sorry, not too crazy about Sagi/Body Beast. DH is doing the rotation now and I find Sagi really annoying. I wish there was a "Less Sagi" option.
I agree. I bought the set for my husband (because he wanted to start lifting weights more and I'd read lots of good reviews). We were previewing it and both of us were very annoyed by the fact that Sagi never shuts up. He just goes on and on. DH keeps wanting to start, but he can't get past Sagi.

IMO, the best part of the series is seeing The Bachelor Sean as a background exerciser

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lean body mass, muscle loss