Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-13, 07:53 AM  
alisoncooks

For me, I am finding that ALL TYPES of exercise are producing the same results. Some just do it faster, IMO.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 08:55 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I think genetics are huge. Someone I follow on FB stated that you have to look at your body type---she used Jamie Eason as a comparison. A curvy, mesomorph is not going to look like Jamie, and tall, slight people will have a hard time putting on visible muscle.

I'm an ex gymnast--5'2" and have a very easy time putting on muscle and looking like a bulldog. I would love to lean out and have the "long lean lines of a dance". Not sure that's happening, and it has more to do with my fork and kitchen habits.

In fact, I have never lost weight from any particular workout. I have lost weight from being consistent, moving daily, and eating less.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 09:20 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I was just talking with my son's physical therapist this morning about muscle tone. You're basically born with whatever muscle tone you are going to have. You can increase muscle mass, but muscle tone is genetic. Asians have the least, people of African descent have the most, and caucasians fall somewhere in the middle. This explains why Asians tend to have a more lithe, 'willowy' look and many people of African ethnicity can develop larger muscles or have increased muscle definition. The average Asian man or woman is very unlikely to develop large, cut muscles.

I was in my workout wear (of course!) and she assessed me as having pretty average muscle tone for a white woman.

As for gymnast, there are plenty of gymnasts with the 'long, lean' look, like Nastia Luikin, for example. It has certainly become a power sport in recent years, though, which is why we see a lot of very muscular gymnasts. (DS2's PT is an ex-gymnast.)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 12:16 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I was just talking with my son's physical therapist this morning about muscle tone. You're basically born with whatever muscle tone you are going to have. You can increase muscle mass, but muscle tone is genetic. Asians have the least, people of African descent have the most, and caucasians fall somewhere in the middle. This explains why Asians tend to have a more lithe, 'willowy' look and many people of African ethnicity can develop larger muscles or have increased muscle definition. The average Asian man or woman is very unlikely to develop large, cut muscles.
This makes sense, but what exactly IS muscle tone?

Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 12:27 PM  
JP44

Quote:

I was in my workout wear (of course!) and she assessed me as having pretty average muscle tone for a white woman.

Wow. Just wow.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 12:32 PM  
cherimac

Genetics. I'd a 5'2" meso w/a medium frame. I've done rotations of TA, barre (exclusively for 2 years), yoga, Firm, Cathe, Slim Series. I'm still a meso. Nothing has changed my basic body type/shape.
Old 01-28-13, 12:38 PM  
mrsyancy

I think to a certain extent, yes. The only reason I say this is bc i follow a couple of fitness pages on FB that eat and train differently for the type of competition they are prepping for. One of the girls was training for a physique competition and therefore she was training for muscle mass....trying to get her muscles larger and making her lats bigger etc....and then after that competition she started training for a bikini competition where she had to lean out more and decrease her muscle mass

Of course she didn't change her overall body type, but she definitely looked quite different when she posted pics....so I do think u can train for a certain look, but u won't change the overall "structure" of ur body type

BTW: this one lady was a figure coach and of course as I said above, she had to change the way she was eating to achieve those different looks.....and she also looks "softer" when she's not training for competition bc she still works out and eats right just not as strict as when she's prepping for competition
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 12:39 PM  
JulieIL

[QUOTE=Nuggie's Auntie;2173661]I was just talking with my son's physical therapist this morning about muscle tone. You're basically born with whatever muscle tone you are going to have. You can increase muscle mass, but muscle tone is genetic. Asians have the least, people of African descent have the most, and caucasians fall somewhere in the middle. This explains why Asians tend to have a more lithe, 'willowy' look and many people of African ethnicity can develop larger muscles or have increased muscle definition. The average Asian man or woman is very unlikely to develop large, cut muscles.

This makes sense to me. Family genetics of muscle tone can also vary greatly, it seems. My sister & I have opposite builds & muscle tone (same height), DH & his brother are the same.

My sons seemed to have very different muscle tone/builds until the oldest hit later puberty & started doing more competitive sports: now he's quite muscular. I actually took my youngest son to the endocrinologist when I started realizing how ripped he was without starting puberty or doing that much activity (very obvious at the pool-he looks like a mini body builder). I was afraid that his hormone levels were off, & he was at the end of puberty.

The MD assured me that his blood levels & exam were normal- this was just his genetic body type (very cut w/defined muscles). He will get even more muscular when he nears the end of puberty (!).

DH, me & youngest son will never be lanky, even if we do only barre, or not formally work out at all. I will never have long, willowy legs- but if I keep my diet in check, I will probably look fairly cut even if I work out minimally (as I get older, who knows).

I always stress to my boys how it's important to be comfortable in your own skin, & be make the most of what you've got, physically & intellectually (some school subjects don't come as easily for some people). We are all a work in progress.

Julie

ETA: I didn't take the original quote as racist in intent either. I took it as more of a commentary of genetics influencing muscle development.
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 12:47 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I'd like to ask that we avoid generalizations about body type based on race, but I do agree with the point that everyone has their own genetic inheritance and each person's response to specific types of exercise and the extent to which you can transform and shape your body with exercise will have a lot to do with genetics.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 12:51 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
The average Asian man or woman is very unlikely to develop large, cut muscles.
Asia is a freakin' big continent. Even within one country like Japan, there are different body types. I have some relatives who upon first glance, look like they might be Latino or mediterranean.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Last edited by Sue B; 01-28-13 at 12:59 PM. Reason: sorry, didn't see Wendy's post until after I posted
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote