Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-10, 10:42 AM  
suegy3

Zumba!

I’m interested in buying the newest Zumba dvds but I have two questions:

What level intensity are the workouts (beg, inter, or advanced)? Do they really get your heartrate up?
How long is each workout?

I saw a few youtube clips and it looks like fun!

Thanks!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:36 AM  
fagiles

I also interested in Zumba but wonder about the cueing.

felecia
fagiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 01:10 PM  
suegy3

I've read that the cueing in minimal, but hopefully someone will chime in with a full report.
Old 02-08-10, 01:18 PM  
fagiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I've read that the cueing in minimal, but hopefully someone will chime in with a full report.
I watched the infomercial and a few youtube clips and it looks like fun but I am absolutely no dancer. I wonder if they are like Beachbody...a basic and a deluxe kit offer when you place an order.
Old 02-08-10, 02:33 PM  
suegy3

No, I don't think that there's any upgrades to them. It's the basic kit.
Old 02-08-10, 03:01 PM  
fagiles

Okay, I just ordered and said to myself "This is it for while". Then, I thought who are you fooling? You still haven't ordered Tonique2 but I swear...that's it Please no one remind when you see another post where I have made another purchase. I just want to be in denial for a little while.

felecia
Old 02-08-10, 05:03 PM  
Kellie

All I know about are the live classes and there is absolutely NO verbal cueing! Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be. The instructors were taught not to cue verbally, but a couple of them took it upon themselves to do just that and in my opinion it ruined the class. It took a few times, but after doing the clases with no verbal cues, having an instructor bark like a drill sergeant wasn't good. It's like anything else though, you get out of it what you put into it!
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 07:02 PM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

There is one DVD that gives you instructions on all of the different moves. You practice each move on that DVD. There is another DVD called "Cardio Party" that gives some minimal cueing and "instructing". She will say something like "Remember we reviewed this....it is side, together, side", for example. There is absolutely no cueing at all on the "Zumba Live" DVD.

Cardio Party and Zumba Live are both around 50 minutes, I believe. The Twenty Minute workout is a nice add on to make a longer cardio or for a warmup before weight work.

I do not like the "Toning" one at all! You use the "shakers" that weight around 1/2 lb. I didn't feel anything at all out of that workout. If a person used 3-5lb weights, you may get something out of it. It was kind of an AWT workout...except those "shakers" were worthless, IMO.

I have not done the "Abs" yet. I honestly don't think I have even previewed it

The classes I have been to are a lot of fun and intense. The first time I did Cardio Party, I was able to get my heartrate up pretty well. I would rate them as "intermediate".

They are really close to the classes (at least the ones that I have been to). I think the live classes are a lot more intense because I tend to put more into it and there is more of a fun factor because of the people. The music on the DVDs are exactly what was played in my live classes (a plus IMO!)

I really think they are worth the money if you want some fun cardio that is basically low impact and not killer. I wanted them so that I could learn the moves and practice them for class. I didn't expect them to be as good as they are. I was pleasantly surprised. I usually run and do Cathe for my cardio, but these will definitely have their place in my rotation. You can make them more intense....or less intense.
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 08:41 PM  
suegy3

Wow...they sound awesome! Thanks for the review!
Old 02-09-10, 09:25 AM  
horsemom2

Toning Sticks

Actually the Toning sticks weigh about a pound each. The problem is that the choreographers didn't realize their potential like the slightly lighter JoyFitstix to both up intensity and tone without aggravating joints with motions that make the filler slide harder for reactive impact. Too bad cuz the Zumba folks would have had a winner in these sticks instead of a loser.

Barb S
who would love to trade for the Toning sticks if anyone is interested
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote