Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-03, 05:16 AM  
Heather Lyn

Smile Want to be organized but hate "rotations"

hi girls,
Rotations that specify exactly what to do and when to do it aren't spontaneous enough for me, but being totally unplanned isn't systematic enough. I'm looking for alternative 'systems' so that you can still be **organized** but still leave a tiny bit of room for spontaneity.

Thanks in advance !
Heather
Old 03-19-03, 06:58 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Hi Heather

I am the same way. This month is actually the first time I stuck to a rotation. What I did was I set goals, e.g. two Joyce workouts, 2 pilates, 3 cardio, then I made a spreadsheet and highlighted the boxes I would need to fill. Now, every workout just gets slotted into one of the boxes until the whole week is filled. It has really helped me stay on track. I was getting a little bored of it yesterday but then realized after this I only have one more week to go before I can change it, so I am sticking with it.

I also have a joint goal with a fewllow vfer where we both have to meet our goal or we don;t get the reward. Part of my goal is to stick to a formal rotation, and I admit, it is part of what's keeping me motivated :-)

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 07:17 AM  
netmom

I have set up a system where I do a certain 'category' every day, but I pick whatever tape I feel like doing. Example:

Sun - Cardio
Mon - AWT
Tue - Cardio
Wed - Pilates
Thur - Weights
Fri - Cardio
Sat - Rest

I like it because it's structured yet allows me choose the workout daily.

Louise
netmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 07:18 AM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

One way

. . . is to organize by category, such as "Cardio," "Strength" and "Flexibility" groupings. So, for example, Cathe recommends four cardio and two total-body strength workouts per week as a fat loss "rotation." I would add a few stretch tapes for flexibility.

You can get more specific -- say, "Upper body Strength," "Lower Body Strength," "Total Body Strength," "Step Cardio" "Outdoor Cardio," "Yoga", "Pilates," "Circuit," "Floor Work," "Abs", etc.

The basic "rule" is not to strength train the same muscle group within 48 hours, although some people make an exception for abs and, of course the Freestyle fans train legs daily!

Sample "generic" rotation

Monday Strength: upper plus Yoga
Tuesday Strength: lower
Wednesday Cardio :60
Thursday Strength: upper plus Yoga
Friday Strength: lower plus Cardio :30
Saturday Outdoor Cardio :60 plus Yoga
Sunday Rest

Old 03-19-03, 08:59 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Patricia's got the right idea, I think. I prefer 2-day splits for my weight training, so my major concern in planning a week is to make sure that I hit all body parts twice. DVDs can make that a lot easier than it used to be, but there are lots of videos that have the weight training nicely organized by body part, so you can just cue up what you want or need for a apecific day.

Remember to include a day for rest!
Old 03-19-03, 09:26 AM  
gamber

I have a system, but dont ever do rotations. I do 2 hard cardios and 2 not-so-hard each week. plus work each muscle group twice. My week starts Sunday and I can do whatever tapes I like as long as at the end of the week I have accomplished all my goals.
gamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 12:07 PM  
HelenJeannette
VF Supporter

I decide to have theme rotations lasting anywhere from a week to a month. Like Firm, or kickboxing-pilates, or strength tapes, or endurance tapes. Then each Sunday I write down what I want to do on the week ahead. But I always make changes and cross stuff out and replace it with things I'd rather do, or shuffle things if I realize one day was too tough or I just need a break. Some days I leave blank like Cardio-your choice.
I find this leads me with loads of flexibility in scheduling. The plan makes me think out my routine - what days do I have more time, will I have more energy earlier in the week or later, how do I incorporate all the tapes I'd like to use.
Then the breaking of the plan let's me have fun. I can figure out what worked the week before and what I might have been missing. If I wake up and the idea of doing a certain tape makes me ill, I'll figure out a substitution and do that.
But I think recording my workouts and taking breif notes really helps me in figuring out what works for me, rotation wise.
HelenJeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 12:35 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

I prepare a specific rotation on Sunday night that specifies the workout for each day, including all the stats (minutes in each: cardio/strength/stretch) and total minutes for the workouts. But during the week, I often change a few workouts here and there.

This organization provides me with a guideline so I'm sure to get in all I need for the week, but also the flexibility to change if I'm not in the mood for a certain workout. Usually what happens is that I'll swap a few workouts, because I still want to maintain the balance I planned at the beginning of the week.

This may seem rather strict, but since I've been doing this, my weekly workouts are much more well-rounded and I'm much more consistent. I've noticed better results in my strength and cardio gains as well.

It's nice to have rotations because you learn what works for you. Even though it takes more time in the beginning, you'll develop a few rotations that you can go back to; plus, you'll be able to do the workouts that are best suited for your goals after you figure out what works best for you particular body type and personality.

BTW, I just started doing this about 3 or 4 months ago. Previously, I did whatever I felt like doing the day of my workout.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 12:39 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I also like the "category" way of organizing the workout. At the start of the week, or a two-week cycle, for example, determine which days will be used for what type of workout (cardio--can be subdivided into tough and not-so-tough--weights--heavy, full body, interval--stretch) Then, the day before the workout, or the day of, decide which specific workout you'll do.

I do a rather informal rotation like that, and I try to cycle through different types of cardio and weight work (my own periodization program).

I'll set up a couple of weeks of full--body, lighter weight workouts and cardio/weight combo workouts, then go on to heavier weight workouts (usually splits), then heaviest (slow and heavy) , then go back down to the lighter workouts.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 02:18 PM  
martonia

Strict rotations don't work for me. It's a combination of boredom, rebellion against "regulating" my spare time, and the fact that my energy level is too variable and unpredictable (for a number of reasons). So I just set general goals: so many cardio, strength, and stretch, with at least one really kick-ass workout per week. Having the flexibility to choose what I do on any given day, according to my mood and energy, really helps. Good luck finding a method that works for you!