Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-05, 12:57 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

For 300 dollars you can still get a really good bike. I started mountain biking with my husband around 15 years ago, don't get out much anymore, sigh. And the bikes we bought for over a thousand dollars back then, probably cost 100 dollars now. Specialized has always been a decent brand. My husband and I both have Cannondales, but they were very expensive, but Cannondale is a good brand.

If you look at web sites that specialize in either mountain or road bikes, you can bet most hybrids they offer are going to be by reputable mfg with quality products.

Performance Bike, a high rated shop in the Denver area has a lot of Mongoose and Iron Horse. REI sells K2s, Novarra and Marin (and with their return policy, most of their stuff is good quality)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
blessed, as I am, with a nephew in the business, I have 2 bikes, a Univega hybrid, that retails, I'm guessing, for around $600 and a Bianchi Eros, that retails for around $1200. The Univega is a slug compared to the Bianchi, but has been a good, reliable, serviceable bike.

I am home schooled by the nephew, and no little of the outside world. I'm told

- $350 is absolute rock bottom for any kind of a decent bike, and really, you're talking more around $600

- a bike is like a car. It needs repairs and upkeep,and having a relationship with a bike shop is invaluable
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 08:05 PM  
jb59

Hi Beth,

I live near you in Rochester, and unfortunately, there is no more Galyans (which was far superior to Dick's, in my opinion), but I agree with the majority who recommend getting a bike in a bike shop. My husband and I bike quite a bit on the canal path, and we both have bikes that are over ten years old, and are still in excellent shape. Mine is a Trek hybrid, and his is a Schwinn ( but this is before Schwinn sold out, and is no longer the quality brand it once was). On the other hand, we bought our then-15 year old son a bike for his birthday last year at the Dick's in Victor, and the gentleman who sold us the bike and tuned it before we brought it home, was excellent. He was an older man, don't remember the name, but he was British, and was once a racing champion for England in the Olympics (so he told us!). He sized the bike for our son very carefully, and was very pleasant and knowledgable. He got a Diamondback, which is still a good brand. Stay away from Crestwood, it's not so good.

If you have any specific questions about any bike shops in the area, you can PM me, and I'll see what my husband knows.

Jeni
jb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 09:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Okay, I think I'm going to head to a local bike shop this Saturday. I had emailed them about my needs, and they said that the kind of bikes which fit me are $250 and up, so I'm hoping to get something in the $250-$300 range. My next question is about bike accessories. I plan to get at least a helmet and a lock--any idea how much I should expect to spend? Is there anything else I really need? Keep in mind that I expect to be a very casual rider only!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 09:37 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I got a good helmet on clearance at Nashbar.com for about $20. There's a support VF link to them. They range from $20 to hundreds, which you won't need to spend, but get one that fits you comfortably. If your bike doesn't come with a water bottle mount, I'd get one. Mine was $10, and they probably will install it for you. For casual riding you probably don't NEED cycling shoes, but that stiff sole makes a huge difference if you ride for long periods of time. I always use mine now, but that could be a down the road purchase, IMHO. That's all I have, and it's suited me fine so far.

Alison
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 09:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Alison, I'm curious--how did you order a helmet online if you need to ensure a good fit?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-05-05, 09:51 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I'm in the minority of people who do or did (I'm a did) tons of biking because I prefer hiking boots to the stiff soled bike shoes. At least get mountain biking shoes instead of road biking shoes if you are going off road at all. I have a pair of Nike bike shoes that I found on clearance somewhere and while they are nice, they were awful if you had to walk your bike off road, I slid down the side of a hill and did some major bruising and road rash.

I have a spinning bike now, and I can't get the peddle cages tight enough to use with my biking shoes. That could be taken care of by getting new peddles, but that's too much work.

As far as helmets, I'd try a few on. With most good helmets, you get extra padding that has a sticky backing, and you customize it yourself. If you aren't comfortable doing that, then it's worth the money to pay to have it done.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 11:10 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

You can get a helmet anywhere. They're all rated by some national certifying body and have to meet the same standards. The difference in price mostly comes from lightness and ventilation -things that become important on long, hard rides. But I haven't heard you say that that's what you're planning. (I have more than one helmet, but my favorite came from Wal-Mart or Target. It has Mary Engelbreit cherries on it, and it drives DH NUTS. Two virtues!)

My hybrid bike does have clip-less pedals, but I think I added them. Well, I didn't add them. I had someone else do it, but they didn't come standard. But for rides around town, at least half the time I'm wearing my regular shoes. Hard soles, cycling shoes, clipless pedals.... they all make sense. And I use them as tools. But, for the cycling you're telling us about, just wear your tennis shoes for now.

A helmet, however, is a non-negotiable point. They'll probably add the water bottle cage. I actually have two, but I had to ask for that -and it's a little weird. Take a cell phone when you ride. I'd call that pretty close to non-negotiable. Throw an apple in your backpack. And have a great day playing around with your new toy!

Andrea
Old 05-05-05, 12:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Andrea. I guess I didn't really specify how I expect to use the bike; I don't expect to be doing "long, hard rides." Rather, I envision mostly leisure rides around the neighborhood, riding along our local canal path with friends, etc.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-05-05, 01:20 PM  
Kimberly33

If you are a member of AAA, you should see if they sell helmets there--they have very decent ones at a good price (mine does, anyway). I agree that helmet and water bottle--if you're on the canal path it can come in handy! I used low-cut hiking shoes for a long time and they were fine. I think for what you're doing tennis shoes will be fine, too.

Many (if not most) helmets are adjustable now--so it's not too hard to buy them online. The only trick is if you are close to being in between sizes--then the shape of your head comes into play, and it's better to try them (I get a nice red divot in my forehead on long rides because my helmet is just a tad off--it technically fits fine, but it's just not comfortable after a few hours. That is a problem you won't have!)

You should probably also get a pump for the tires, and maybe have them show you how to change the tire. Then, if you think you'd be up to changing the tire "on the road," you'll need an extra tube, some levers--I recommend the Crank Bros speed lever, and a travel pump.

A small handlebar bag or seat bag can be a nice thing, too--you can keep your wallet, a snack, your cellphone, and anything else on the bike that way. If you would get curious about how far (or how fast) you've gone, you could get a computer, too.

Looking forward to seeing what you get!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 02:10 PM  
caligurl

the handlebar bag is a good idea.. i even have one on my roadie! VERY handy! i use a polar water bottle.. it's insulated to keep my water cooler longer (i hate warm water! plus i'm in the desert!)

helmets.. if they sell it.. no matter how cheap... it is safety certified.. the more you pay.. the lighter and air-ier the helmet.. for short rides.. you can go with an inexpensive to midrange price!

definitely get a patch kit and pump (or co2 pump and cartridges!) and an extra inner tube.... and you'll want a little under the seat pack to put that in! (unless you get a handlebar bag.. then it can go there... i have both... repair gear goes in the seat pack!

if the path is busy... you may want a bell... i know out here on the santa ana trail and along huntington beach is it suggested!
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote