Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-08, 07:46 PM  
KathAL79

Good points, Sharon. I didn't think about it that way originally, but I'm glad you explained it so clearly.

After reading a bunch of reviews on various sites, it seems to me that there will always be someone who manages to destroy any type of yoga mat, no matter how high the quality, within 6-12 months, either because he/she received a defective one or because he/she did something like throw it in the washer on a regular cycle or leave it in a car during extreme temperatures. Like anything the better care you take of it the longer it should last. But when you start to read more than a dozen comments about one company's mats not lasting more than a year, even without very heavy use or extreme treatment, it does make one pause.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 10:51 PM  
eastblvd

I'm reviving this thread because I really need a new yoga mat! I've been practicing with a cheapie Target version that must be at least 6-7 years old (not used continuousl over that period, of course!).

I use a Yogitoes on top for slippage, but I feel like the Yogitoes doesn't always stay put and my hands and feet definitely slide, even though I wet it beforehand -- any advice for that, by the way?

I drive to and from yoga class, and I also use my mat at home, so I don't mind something a bit on the heavy side. Non-slippage is a big factor for me, but of course, if I could get my Yogitoes to function properly, maybe it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

I'm considering everything from Manduka Black (at 30% off) to Jade Harmony (also at 30% off) to Manduka eKo. I wonder how much I need a light option since I'm rarely carrying it. If weight isn't an issue, is Manduka Black always the best choice?

Thanks so much for any advice!!
eastblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 09:20 AM  
KathAL79

Actually, I was going to revive my thread to say that I received my Manduka black almost a month ago and am really enjoying it. It definitely is firm, which is great because sinking into the mat wasn't going to be good for my wrists if I kept doing it. And while it was pretty slick the first few times through once I got sweaty, I do find it easier to get a grip in down dog and other poses, where I used to slip.

The Manduka is a huge leap up in quality from the el cheapo mat I got (from Marshalls or TJ Maxx) about 6 or so years ago. There's no comparison in terms of material, non-slippage, texture, feel, etc. Its thickness means it won't be breaking down anytime soon, although if you're super environmentally conscious you might quibble with that (but the flip side is that I hope not to have to replace this one with another mat in a few years).

I still need to give it a proper wash, but it wasn't all that smelly out of the box. (I mean, you could smell rubbery odor when near it, but it didn't reek nor infuse my whole workout space with that "new yoga mat" smell.)

I actually didn't find the Black as heavy as I was expecting. It's not significantly heavier than my Pilates mat, which I carry to the gym and back (about 8-10 min. walk each way). That said, I'm a healthy young 'un without any serious joint or other issues (e.g. bad back) that would necessitate carrying less weight. Oh, and I'm used to carrying a laptop around campus, and the mat's of comparable weight to those.

I'm almost regretting not getting the 85" mat, and I would advise anyone over 5'8" to consider springing for that one over the 71". I have enough room to lie down with feet and head on the mat, however, which is so nice!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
Old 02-16-09, 04:00 PM  
cyana

eastblvd - Did you ever decide on a new mat? (P.S. Every time I see your user name, I'm reminded of living in Charlotte - many of my favorite restaurants were on on a street named East Boulevard.)

Kath - Are you still happy with your Black Manduka? Have you tried schlepping it to class?

I've been through several sports store cheapie mats, and my present frustration is with mat bunching. I do yoga nearly every day. At home, my floor is carpeted - a fairly dense medium pile with a pad underneath - so there is some "give". The floor in the yoga studio where I take class has very low pile carpeting (no noticeable give). Also to factor in - I hear that the studio owner is considering installing new hardwood floors.

I've checked out numerous threads here on VF, researched the net and read numerous reviews. At this point, I'm learning toward the Manduka Black, PROLite, eKo (unsure whether 5 mm or 3 mm, though) or even a Jade. It sounds like there are many potentially good choices. I could get two mats (am I encouraging enabling with that comment?!?) if needed. I definitely want a mat that is at least 71" long, as I frequently find that I'm dangling slightly over the end.

Also, what are the best bag options for transporting a larger mat? My current bag accommodates a standard 24" wide mat. It has a drawstring in one end, so I could probably stuff a wider mat in there, but not if that mat was significantly thicker. I drive to yoga class, so I don't have to worry about lengthy walks or being able to contain the mat on public transit.

Decisions, decisions!
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 04:07 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana
Kath - Are you still happy with your Black Manduka? Have you tried schlepping it to class?
Yes, I'm still very happy with it.

I really appreciate the solidity and extra padding, especially since I'm a little heavier than I should be right now. My knees especially felt the difference when I used a less padded mat the other day.

I haven't had any issues with this bunching at all. That baby stays put on the flooring in my workout room (an absolutely flattened piece of longish pile carpet dating back to the 70s/80s changeover, judging by color choice).

I haven't tried moving it around, although I roll it up after every use to avoid cat claws (see avatar). It would be on the heavy side, so I'd caution anyone with shoulder / back problems or something of that sort against trying to lug it around, especially if you have to carry it a long distance and/or via public transport. I'm used to walking to and from the gym (~10 min., or about 1/2 a mile each way) with my Pilates mat, which is slightly lighter and smaller, so I'd be fine with carrying it, especially if I were transporting it via car.

From what I've read the Manduka Black doesn't fit standard yoga mat bags. I'm sure someone somewhere makes one for it, or you or a crafty friend / relative could try making one. I've seen straps that you wrap around instead of using a bag but I haven't investigated to see if they'd fit.

Old 02-16-09, 04:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I haven't bought anything myself, but I put the Hugger Mugger Original Tapas Yoga Mat on my Amazon.com Wish List. I ultimately decided that 1) if I buy something, I don't want to spend a fortune (this one is $30), and 2) I don't think I'd like a thicker mat (this one is the standard 1/8"). However, it is longer, 74", which I do think I'd like. Maybe I'll get it for myself as a birthday gift (April). It's got pretty good reviews overall, but does anyone have any personal experience with this mat?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 04:37 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster
I haven't bought anything myself, but I put the Hugger Mugger Original Tapas Yoga Mat on my Amazon.com Wish List. I ultimately decided that 1) if I buy something, I don't want to spend a fortune (this one is $30), and 2) I don't think I'd like a thicker mat (this one is the standard 1/8"). However, it is longer, 74", which I do think I'd like. Maybe I'll get it for myself as a birthday gift (April). It's got pretty good reviews overall, but does anyone have any personal experience with this mat?
Beth, I have this mat. I prefer the slightly thicker version though. I like the extra length. It's very sticky, so it's good for sweatier practices. And it's light. I would never travel with the black Manduka -- I won't even do that with my purple Manduka. The minuses are: the squishy quality isn't pleasant for me, but you might like it. It's not as long-lasting as the Mandukas or Harmonys etc. -- I've had my thicker one for about the same length of time as my Manduka purple light and the Tapas mat is visibly worn, even though I use it less often (just for class now and then) -- plastic flaking off here and there. The Manduka is as good as the day I bought it.

Sometimes saving a few bucks is false thrift. And if weight isn't an issue (i.e., you travel in a car) I don't see how it works out in the end.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 05:04 PM  
KathAL79

Beth, I don't know about Hugger Mugger's stuff, but thicker does not equal squishier for the Manduka. In fact, it's more solid. Not sure if that's a concern for you, just an FYI.
But the extra length is nice!

Old 02-16-09, 05:14 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Beth, I don't know about Hugger Mugger's stuff, but thicker does not equal squishier for the Manduka. In fact, it's more solid. Not sure if that's a concern for you, just an FYI.
But the extra length is nice!
That's completely true Kath. The Mandukas are very solid: the purple yes, and the thicker black is even more so. The Hugger Mugger Tapas are both squishier than the Mandukas.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 09:39 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I own

1) a thick black mat from Hugger Mugger - comparable to the Manduka black
2) a Manduka travel light;
3) the Manduka EKo.

I like them all. If I were to pick one all around it would probably be the Manduka travel light. The Eko is good because its lightweight.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, yoga mat