Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-15, 11:41 PM  
pcdoctor01

Not fitness releated but health related - Cologuard vs colonoscopy

A co-worker was talking about the new "cologuard" test for colon cancer. I told her that I had a reason for getting colonoscopies. She said she does not want a doctor cutting on her. She said, "That's why they call it a practice". She also said she doesn't want any anesthesia. I was thinking yikes. If I'm in a car accident, I want the doctors cutting on me and I want the anesthesia. I think I'm sticking with the colonoscopy. I guess for the really super safe person you could do the colonoscopy and the cologuard.

http://consumer.healthday.com/cancer...st-690679.html
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 12:40 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Isn't that what Steve Jobs said? He didn't want the doctor cutting on him. As I understand it, he had a curable form of cancer, if he had had the surgery when it was diagnosed.
Old 06-02-15, 08:36 AM  
SpiritYogi

My boyfriend has taken the cologuard test (through the VA) the past two years. He would never submit to a colonoscopy unless absolutely necessary, and maybe not even then, so that is a great option for him and others who feel the same way.

I haven't had a colonoscopy since I was a teenager and haven't reached the age where it is recommended. However, my father passed away from colon cancer so once I reach my 50's I might consider undergoing a colonoscopy again just to make sure all is okay and then do the cologuard test every year after that unless one of the tests comes back with red flags.

It's a personal choice, and it's great that we have medical choices as to whether we want invasive or noninvasive tests / treatment.
SpiritYogi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 08:48 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
However, my father passed away from colon cancer so once I reach my 50's I might consider undergoing a colonoscopy again...
I don't know how old you are now, but if you have a close relative who *died* of colon cancer, you shouldn't wait until you're in your 50s to get checked!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 09:56 AM  
noodles

Gee I thought the article focused more on Cologuard being a better tool then FIT, but perhaps I'm interpreting the info incorrectly. A colonoscopy should still be done if the Cologuard test is positive so I don't think it's being recommended as a replacement. I would certainly rather have precancerous lesions caught early through colonoscopy rather than relying in the DNA tests which is less accurate - especially if there's a family history of colon cancer. Just my opinion but working in the health care field I see too many cases of advanced disease at diagnosis which results in a poor prognosis in many patients.
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 10:02 AM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I don't know how old you are now, but if you have a close relative who *died* of colon cancer, you shouldn't wait until you're in your 50s to get checked!
I second that. Please get checked asap because of your father. True it's a personal choice but what blew my mind is my co-worker said no cutting or anesthesia. Hopefully this is not TMI but the doctor said my colon was boring. I was happy to hear that when I had my last appt.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 11:07 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
I second that. Please get checked asap because of your father. I had my first sigmoidscopy at 32 or 33 after that two colonoscopies. Of course because of family history. True it's a personal choice but what blew my mind is my co-worker said no cutting or anesthesia. Hopefully this is not TMI but the doctor said my colon was boring. I was happy to hear that when I had my last appt.
My understanding is that you should start getting checked 10 years before a close relative was diagnosed with colon cancer. So if your father was diagnosed before age 60, I wouldn't wait until you are 50.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 11:15 AM  
SpiritYogi

Thank you all for your concern, but my PP (who was also my father's) said that he had colon cancer due to his lifestyle (diet, exercise or lack thereof, and past wartime exposures). I eat very clean and exercise regularly and she said that I could have a colonoscopy whenever I wanted, but didn't feel that, considering how well I take care of myself, that it was necessary until I reach the recommended age. However, if I exhibit any issues or symptoms, I will certainly have one scheduled, no matter what my age!
SpiritYogi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 11:20 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Thank you all for your concern, but my PP (who was also my father's) said that he had colon cancer due to his lifestyle (diet, exercise or lack thereof, and past wartime exposures). I eat very clean and exercise regularly and she said that I could have a colonoscopy whenever I wanted, but didn't feel that, considering how well I take care of myself, that it was necessary until I reach the recommended age. However, if I exhibit any issues or symptoms, I will certainly have one scheduled, no matter what my age!
It's your choice, but cancer can and does happen to anyone (good lifestyle or bad), and you want to nip things in the bud before you experience issues or symptoms.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 11:23 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
It's your choice, but cancer can and does happen to anyone (good lifestyle or bad), and you want to nip things in the bud before you experience issues or symptoms.
I agree with Julie. My father passed away from cancer complications-his cancer began on his tongue and he NEVER smoked or chewed tobacco, in his entire life. He had no symptoms. His doctor noticed a suspicious area during a regular check up when he was looking at my father's throat. Please do get tested.

I am so sorry for the loss of your father.

Hugs,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colon cancer, colonoscopy