Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-14, 09:07 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet but one thought always comes to me when this conversation starts up. Why couldn't streaming and dvds co-exist peacefully? Why do dvds have to go away because streaming is available? Like hotncmom mentioned, there is no guarantee that a workout you love will stay available with the streaming format, you never own it and have to pay over and over again on a monthly basis to have access to it. I can see benefits to both types of workout formats. They have DIFFERENT benefits, though, so I just don't see why streaming would replace a dvd unless it had the SAME and better benefit. Hopefully I made sense there...
I feel the same way. I see benefits to DVDs, streaming and downloads alike.

For people looking to buy a DVD player, if you buy a Blu-Ray player (a format that seems to be skipped over entirely by fitness) you can both play DVDs and stream from sites like Netflix, Amazon, etc. (It varies by player, but most of them get the big streaming sites.)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 09:41 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Another issue with streaming is copyright. I can play my downloaded iTunes media anywhere, but I discovered last time I was in Canada that the show I'd purchased via Amazon (purchased, not rented) wouldn't play there for rights reasons. Really ticked me off.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 09:51 AM  
icebergslim

I don't see dvds going anywhere anytime soon and I do love some of the streaming media, but there is always caution. You have to give up the cc and they charge every single month, so there are only a couple of sites I frequent. I just updated my workout room, since my television w/dvd/video player went out. Yes, a tv with built in dvd player and video player!! All of our other tvs were attached to blu ray dvd wifi players and one with a roku stick. So, I purchased a wifi TV for the workout room and was able to get some great content. Also, youtube has some good workouts available also, but you gotta look through it!! Also, I am doing more downloads now. This you can control because you may have a streaming site you like one day and GONE the next. It has happened.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 09:52 AM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I feel the same way. I see benefits to DVDs, streaming and downloads alike.

For people looking to buy a DVD player, if you buy a Blu-Ray player (a format that seems to be skipped over entirely by fitness) you can both play DVDs and stream from sites like Netflix, Amazon, etc. (It varies by player, but most of them get the big streaming sites.)
NOTE: the blu ray player must have WIFI unless your televison does or you attach a ROKU stick via usb.
Old 06-02-14, 09:54 AM  
cmiyachi

I think they are going to go away - but not immediately. Think of the VHS - it died a slow death too. I remember it well here - people still liked VHS for certain reasons (was it the FF-ing? I can't remember). Producers did both for a long time.

I think it is too expensive to produce a DVD versus something online and eventually it will stop.

Let's check back on this thread in five years and see what happened!

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 10:12 AM  
antbuko

I haven't tried Cathe or any other instructor's streaming content, although I hope to one day. I don't see myself subscribing to multiple things, fitness or otherwise. What I have in mind with streaming content, is I do in fact own it and I can download it if I wish, and even burn it to a DVD, but I'm not buying the DVDs, just the streaming version. I have lot of Amazon streaming content that I have purchased; TV shows and movies. I would like to see more of that in the fitness realm, for those of us who do enjoy streaming.
Old 06-02-14, 10:14 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeLaVie View Post
It would be nice if it could be what Amazon currently does with music cd purchases. You get a free download with the purchase of a cd. That would be a great way to get people used to it - having the dvd AND the download both.

While I like the idea of freeing up the space, I really like having a copy and not worrying about buffering like others have said. I think it will still take a long while to completely phase out dvds...CDs still sell even though digital music and streaming has been around for a long time.
Amazon ripped every CD I ever purchased from them and put it into my cloud player. I'd love it if they did that with DVDs I've purchased from them.
Old 06-02-14, 10:49 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiyachi View Post

I think it is too expensive to produce a DVD versus something online and eventually it will stop.

That's what I keep hearing instructors say, too.
Old 06-02-14, 10:54 AM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
That's what I keep hearing instructors say, too.
It will stop. Easier to throw something in the cloud, which is a huge server than processing DVDs. That is why I am looking at instructors going forward who offer downloads, then I can put it on my stick, stick into my dvd or tv and workout from there. Those that are offering DVDs will eventually just offer downloads. I see Cathe doing this in near future. Downloads will replace DVDs permanently, along with streaming content you pay for.
Old 06-02-14, 10:56 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
Downloads will replace DVDs permanently, along with streaming content you pay for.
I could go with downloads because they are in your possession...the medium is just a little different.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, digital storage, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming