Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-14, 02:32 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatoo View Post
ah this last winter (in mn) was crazy crazy.
Cindy
crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 02:34 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
I feel for you.

I was up there 12 years ago. What changed my life was going green, as in smoothies for meal replacements and solid working out. I just kept moving.

Today, I have kept it off and still do my smoothies daily, but only once a day versus twice. Plenty of information on the internet about green smoothies, juices.

Food is 80% of weightloss and exercise is the other 20%. Once you find a plan, stick with it and keep moving.
Smoothies...good idea! I love making them but get out of the habit. So you just drink one a day now? Feel hungry?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 03:09 PM  
sunday

I agree with posters above! Exercise is highly overrated for weight loss. If the diet is slim enough, weight loss will happen. Exercise is good to shape the muscles but I never found it to be helpful for actual reducing.

I have also gradually moved to more smoothies and juices although I buy mine ready made. I'm right now doing two shakes or juices a day and one main meal with snacks at night. I like the Bolthouse Farms juices and just drank a carrot/ginger one for lunch. My main meal is mostly raw salad, etc.

I've had quite a few VFers pm me for details, which is fine with me! I'd be happy to offer more details if anyone is interested in messaging me.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 03:59 PM  
14yrbeliever

Yes, I'm well aware of how important eating well is to the weightloss equation. I used to eat much better in the past (when I was working out).

For some reason, working out helps me eat better. I am not sure why nor am I sure it is a good idea for me to overanalyze it, but that is just the way I am.

So while I know exercise alone won't get me to where I need/want to go, for me it is a very important part of the equation.

Sunday--I might PM you re: ready-made alternatives. I don't own nor have the money or room for a blender but smoothies sound like a good way to get my fruits and veggies in!
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 04:27 PM  
Judy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohpeggy View Post
Its what you do with "today" that counts. In Jan I weighed 197 and could not get through a beginner workout. I just figured 1/2 a workout was better then the couch. Today I am down 59 lbs all from diet and exercise only. I am 53. So I say just get started and the rest will fall into place.
That's quite impressive! Best wishes as you continue on the journey of reclaiming your health.

I am a long-time "maintainer" after losing a large amount of weight nearly 20 years ago. I find that working out really helps me to stay on track with my eating, as well as helping my body fight off the aging process (I'm 64). Fortunately I love to work out! I really credit it as one of the most powerful tools in my arsenal.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 04:31 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Smoothies...good idea! I love making them but get out of the habit. So you just drink one a day now? Feel hungry?
No. Twice a day. Do your research, or DM me. Since we can not talk diet on this board. When I first started the green smoothies, I immediately felt better, stronger, more energy. It really is a cleanse.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 04:35 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I agree with posters above! Exercise is highly overrated for weight loss. If the diet is slim enough, weight loss will happen. Exercise is good to shape the muscles but I never found it to be helpful for actual reducing.

I have also gradually moved to more smoothies and juices although I buy mine ready made. I'm right now doing two shakes or juices a day and one main meal with snacks at night. I like the Bolthouse Farms juices and just drank a carrot/ginger one for lunch. My main meal is mostly raw salad, etc.

I've had quite a few VFers pm me for details, which is fine with me! I'd be happy to offer more details if anyone is interested in messaging me.
I have always said exercise is overrated for weight loss, it is about FOOD. Calories in/Calories out. And if anyone want to be real about doing smoothies, get a vitamix, blendtec. I started with crashing and burning 2 blenders and just went the full distance. Plus, it will liquidfy the greens, a regular blender won't.

Exercise is about keeping your body and heart healthy, along with toning. Reducing food intake, making the right food choices is what weightloss is about.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 04:45 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14yrbeliever View Post
So while I know exercise alone won't get me to where I need/want to go, for me it is a very important part of the equation.
Completely agree. For me, exercising increases those wonderful endorphins, which makes me want to make better food (and life) choices. One good habit leads to another, and it's all connected. You lose both muscle mass and fat in a weight loss program, but I believe exercise preserves some of that precious muscle and contributes to better body composition.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 04:55 PM  
14yrbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Completely agree. For me, exercising increases those wonderful endorphins, which makes me want to make better food (and life) choices. One good habit leads to another, and it's all connected. You lose both muscle mass and fat in a weight loss program, but I believe exercise preserves some of that precious muscle and contributes to better body composition.
AMEN to that! I feel exactly the same way.
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 07:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, I may not eat better with exercise, but I never eat better without it. It's a required part of the formula for me, along with a lot of other people. It's nice to read that I'm not the only one from whom exercise is the trigger.

I fall in the clinically obese category. I also lost a lot and then gained it back. It's really discouraging. But, what else can you do but keep trying?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obesity, overweight