Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-19, 10:44 AM  
bubbles76

What do you think of the following dance workouts?

In general, how would you rate their intensity and fun factor:
  • Hemalayaa Behl's bollywood dance workouts
  • Crunch dance workouts
  • Acacia Dance and Be Fit workouts
  • Dance off the Inches
  • Dancinerate

I'm looking for some fun workouts, that are in the intermediate range. For reference, I like Bellyfit, Soul Sweat, and Misty Tripoli. I also like stuff by Christi Taylor and Rob Glick that's athletic but still has a dancy flair. I like their choreography, intensity, and fun. Not looking for anything advanced. No Zumba, please .
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:03 AM  
sherry7899

Hemalayaa's are mainly voiceover instruction. To me, that detracts from the workout and makes it less enjoyable. I also think those would be too low intensity for you.

Crunch-a lot of whooping and people wearing low cut pants I have a few of them and use them once in awhile.

Dance and Be Fit-I think I just have the Brazil one. I need to check. I like it, but I think it would be too low intensity for you.

DOTI-I have the Carribean/ Island Dance party ones and enjoy them. I would call them high beginner. Oh, I also have some hip hop but I don't reach for them as often. Sometimes they bother my knees. I'd all them high beginner/low intermediate.

I can't comment on Dancinerate.

It is really hard now to find dance workouts that don't spend too much time breaking down the moves which results in your heart rate not getting up. Or there's the other extreme like Tracy Anderson with not enough instruction where I was totally confused. I need something between those!

I will try to see if I can come up with any ideas.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:10 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
It is really hard now to find dance workouts that don't spend too much time breaking down the moves which results in your heart rate not getting up. Or there's the other extreme like Tracy Anderson with not enough instruction where I was totally confused. I need something between those!
You hit the nail on the head! And if you CAN find something that is nearly perfect, the music isn't any good . I remember trying one Hemalayaa workout and one Dance and Be Fit workout awhile ago. I think thy were both too low intensity, but that was a long time ago. I wonder how I would feel about them now.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:13 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
You hit the nail on the head! And if you CAN find something that is nearly perfect, the music isn't any good .
Exactly! I am a music snob, and I need motivating music for dance.

Have you tried Shine Dance on you tube? I know you are looking for dvds, but they are really fun. So is The Fitness Marshall on you tube. They use great music.

Old 10-12-19, 11:20 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have found that latin style dancing seems to really get my HR up without having to learn complex choreo. that said, Dancing with the Stars Cardio Dance- the first one - is really good. this one surprised me - i wore my HRM and noticed how intense it was, yet low impact. they break down the moves, but it still kept my energy up.

from your list, i have and like Crunch Fat Burning Dance Party with Jennifer Galardi. fun, easy to follow.

I borrowed the Bollywood Dance Workout with Hemalayaa Behl from the public library. it was pleasant and enjoyable. there's a VF review of it here written by another VFer, and it sums up my experience with it - http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3582

Dance off the Inches - i have the ones led by Jennifer Galardi who i enjoy as a dance instructor. she has 6 - Cardio Hip Hop Party, Cardio Hip Hop, Hip Hop Party, Hip Hop Body Blast, Hip Hop Jam (uses a loop) and Latin Cardio Party. Jennifer's are about the same. I also have Tummy Tone Party Zone by Marie Forleo - easy to follow and good cast to back her up.

Your post made me aware that Acacia has dance videos - thanks for the tip.

Dance videos are good if you need a step up from walking videos. you can even use a dance video to walk to if you're overwhelmed by the choreography.

another to consider is Hip Hop Abs by Shaun T. just the right amount of intensity, interest, and goofy factor.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:23 AM  
sherry7899

Bubbles 76 wrote the review

No wonder I cannot keep Jennifer Galardi's titles straight! The are way too alike.

Old 10-12-19, 11:27 AM  
sherry7899

This is a DVD from Women's Health that looks interesting:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoSILzFvo0

Old 10-12-19, 11:32 AM  
sherry7899

If you are open to streaming you may like Les Mills Sh'bam classes. It is too bad they do not have Body Jam on there. They would be right up your alley

Old 10-14-19, 01:21 AM  
Getfit

Favorite

This is my all time favorite dance workout. It is a party in the box and I love all the songs. I am surprise the price of this DVD has not gone done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHl_p0PiQxM

I also string Commit Dance Fitness routines together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBgw50_u4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNhF8UZQJbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbOEd7R0Xek
Old 10-14-19, 11:59 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dance workouts