Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-12, 07:23 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Tricep dips are my least favorite tricep exercise, after seeing this I may just sub a different exercise from now on. I like french presses, tricep kickbacks, or lying tricep extensions. I don't like tricep pushups either.

Plus tricep dips are uncomfortable to do on my high step, therefore I drag out my club step so I can put my hands a little further apart. What a pain!

So yeah...no more tricep dips for me, especially if they aren't that safe anyway.

Thanks for this thread!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 09:04 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I hate tricep dips, too, and rarely do them. In an early Cathe DVD, Pat does French presses when everyone else does tricep dips, so I figured they're a good substitute.

I love skull crushers, cross body kickbacks and tricep presses - all on the bench. I wish they were all in the same DVD.

Thanks for the links NoraKate. I don't understand why these are done on DVDs by supposed fitness professionals. Cathe does them all the time. The MetRx 180 programs does them and he's been a trainer for many years. They're everywhere.

Same with the upright row. I've seen the safety of this move explained as both positive and negative by different people. How are we supposed to know who to believe? Wait until we have an injury?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 10:59 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Same with the upright row. I've seen the safety of this move explained as both positive and negative by different people. How are we supposed to know who to believe? Wait until we have an injury?
I pulled a chest muscle twice from doing upright rows. I didn't know how I hurt myself the first time. It happened again within 6 months and I figured it had to have been from that exercise, so I haven't done them since. That was about 2 years ago and I haven't gotten injured again.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how painful it was...or how long it took to heal. I couldn't get in or out of a car without feeling it.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 11:55 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
French presses when everyone else does tricep dips, so I figured they're a good substitute.
so the french press is when you use a barbell and when you use a dumbbell it's a scull crusher?

Quote:
what's wrong with the upright row? lower back injury?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 12:05 PM  
firmaniac

...yikes! Didn't know that about tricep dips-glad I saw this! Personally, I have been able to grow my tricep muscle by doing skull crushers- a used a certain video at least once a week this last year that has a good section of bench/floor work. The sequence includes pec fly, bench press and then go into skull crushers and tricep press..I just hold one 15 or 20# in each hand and smoothly work through the sets. It would be effective with any size weight since there isn't a lot of room for momentum or 'cheat'...thanx again for the info on the tricep dips backwards off the bench!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 12:06 PM  
kirov2

The very best triceps exercise I ever did was to cut up long panels of corrugated cardboard, using long strokes and a Swiss knife. I felt my triceps worked like no DVD-move ever! (In fact, this thread has inspired me to take some rubber bands and my door-attachment to see if I can simulate this move without boxes)!
kirov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 12:41 PM  
slysam

The professional association ACE has a number of research reports and reviews on their website and one of these is about tricep exercises. You can download a pdf of the report, it isn't about safety though, the hook electrodes up to the muscles and have subjects do a variety of exercises to see which ones activate the most. (Probably poorly described it has been a while since I've read this report). The link:
http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1562/
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 03:53 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
so the french press is when you use a barbell and when you use a dumbbell it's a scull crusher?

what's wrong with the upright row? lower back injury?
French presses and skull crushers should be the same exercise.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 04:49 PM  
CatInTheHat

I thought French Press was when you are standing and doing the tricep behind you, and skull crushers were when you were lying down - but I've seen them called skull crushers with either a barbell or a dumbbell.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 04:59 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Yes. French press standing up lowering and raising one dumbbell behind your head with both hands. Skull crusher with 2 dumbbells or a barbell laying on a bench. I suppse you'd only crush your skull if you dropped the barbell, though. The dumbbells would be to either side of your head. -
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
met-rx, met-rx 180, shoulder injury, tricep dips, triceps, upright rows