Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-11, 12:01 PM  
kirov2

I'm very happy with the Core Body Reformer. I can't do a full review because the exercises are too complicated to describe, but some of my thoughts follow.

I ordered from the website, and it was shipped within a few business days. Easy to pop out of the box, with very minimal assembly. The foam roller is comfortable to stand on, but sometimes I add some extra padding when I have to sit, kneel, or lie prone on it. It is very firm. (For comparison, I pulled out my older foam roller and found that to be an even harder surface. Maybe it's just me.) The elastic bands have a very smooth action, and it is easy to adjust the resistance (3, 6, or 9 pounds). I especially like to be able to vary the resistance on either side of the body.

I'm an intermediate exerciser, but (for me), this piece of equipment is super challenging. It's really, really tough (for example) to kneel on the foam roller and be utilizing the bands at the same time. It really fires up the core. There are whole body movements, where you're stepping on and off the roller, while making large, sweeping movements with the bands. The heart-rate zips up there (higher than with Turbo Barre, which is my other current favorite).

I bought all four DVDs. Jennifer Galardi is fabulous (occasionally cues on the move or slightly after). There are two modifiers (one easy and the other much harder---Jennifer does the medium-intensity). My favorite DVD is the upper and lower body workout where I get a full-body workout (intense!) within 30 minutes. But the other DVDs are good and well-produced, too. The music is fairly generic, but pleasant. There is a nice rolling-segment where you remove the two plastic stabilizers and roll freely -- again, I like a little extra padding here. And the stretch segment is great as a followup to the rolling. The stretches are held for a good amount of time.

Yes, I paid much more than I would have liked for this. However, this product is a lot more than just a foam roller and bands. I could try to improvise with separate products, but this would take a roller, bands, a door anchor, a solid door, secure posts to tie the bands onto, and separate bands for different resistances. It's the efficiency of the product that drives up its price (as well as what the market will bear, in terms of vidiots like me). I bought Supreme Pilates and adored it, but never use it because it is too mentally-challenging to cart it out and set it up. I really see myself using this as a primary workout because it has so many options and so easy to switch among them.

I bought this also because I was looking for something similar to the Refine method (which has been mentioned on other threads here). This Core Body Reformer allows for elastic resistance and large, sweeping movements, and cardio benefit all at once. Until Refine comes out with a DVD (and related products), I think this is probably the best reasonable-facsimile available. If you're a very advanced exerciser (i.e. if 9 pounds of resistance is too little for you) then you may not be challenged by this. But I am very happy with it. The extra money I over-spent on it will be offset by working out more regularly and with better results (at least this is my hope!) I don't see it biting the dust (as happened to my Health Rider, my Torso Trac, my Supreme Pilates, etc.) YMMV. Just thought I'd post.
kirov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 04:26 PM  
Gancho Girl

It is just me, or does this one look really similar to the CoreBody Reformer??

http://www.corefitnessroller.com/

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 05:13 PM  
Artist of Eyes

I'm really interested in this one and I will keep checking on it over the months the to come to see what the price does. I can't justify over $300 for this at the moment so I'll be waiting a while unfortunately.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 06:12 PM  
kirov2

GanchoGirl, it is almost identical in appearance, and it seems totally the same in function. Thanks for posting the link.

I'm sure the price will come down over time. My body was just craving this type of exercise, and I'd rather give in to this type of craving vs. others.
kirov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 07:01 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirov2 View Post
GanchoGirl, it is almost identical in appearance, and it seems totally the same in function. Thanks for posting the link.

I'm sure the price will come down over time. My body was just craving this type of exercise, and I'd rather give in to this type of craving vs. others.
I don't blame you! I'm going to get it as soon as I possibly can.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 11:39 AM  
Honeydew

don't forget to sign up for the core fitness roller contest!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I saw the infomercial this morning - it looks very interesting. Aside from the price at this juncture, I won't order it because (A) I should dust off my Supreme Pilates instead, and (B) I'm afraid it will be another case of "we want new videos for it!" and none ever come out.

I'll be watching future threads on this though.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 06:24 AM  
PhyllisG

Did anyone ever order and receive theirs. Just curious. The infomercial always looks so good.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 06:45 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Does the infomercial show up with a title or do I just need to check all the Paid Programming listings? I'm a Pilates lover and do a couple of private sessions a week so I can see ways for me to use this just from the photos. And it's so much more compact than my Supreme Pilates or even my Malibu chair.

I will have to buy another cover that's not blue.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 08:03 AM  
PhyllisG

I think it is Core Body Reformer by Nautilus.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corebody, corebody reformer, nautilus