Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-11, 12:49 PM  
kirov2

Form or fatigue? (strength question)

I'm working on some killer-sequences in TurboBarre. Cathe says to stop and take a break if you need to and then rejoin. But how do you know when to do this?

Fatigue sets in fairly early on some of the moves. My form starts to suffer. Do I keep on going to complete muscle-failure, or do I insist on doing each rep with the best form possible?
kirov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 01:13 PM  
cardiomama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirov2 View Post
I'm working on some killer-sequences in TurboBarre. Cathe says to stop and take a break if you need to and then rejoin. But how do you know when to do this?

Fatigue sets in fairly early on some of the moves. My form starts to suffer. Do I keep on going to complete muscle-failure, or do I insist on doing each rep with the best form possible?
When form suffers than it's time to rest. Good form ensures/supports progress & safety in training. The good thing about the high rep, endurance exercises is that recovery time will be less, so you won't need to rest very long. As you continue to incorporate this workout into your regimen, you're going to need less breaks & will be able to do more each time.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 01:16 PM  
Kyra

The usual rule of thumb for strength training is, if your form is shot, you're done.

I don't know if barre is considered strength training, per se. However I also don't know what you'd get out of the exercises if you're doing them poorly. As a non-barre person, therefore, I'd still say if your form is gone, you're done, at least for the moment. Be patient and let your endurance build.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 01:51 PM  
Demeris

Form is everything
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 06:35 PM  
kirov2

Thanks for your replies!

I guess that if I'm getting DOMS from the workout, then I must be doing enough reps so that the muscle-fibers are building some strength!

Thanks again!
kirov2 is offline   Reply With Quote