Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-11, 05:10 PM  
cardiomama

TA Meta program & dread factor

Just wondering if any VFers began to develop dread for the Meta workouts as the rotation progressed, and if so why & at which level? And did you carry on w/ the rotation or shelve it?

I am on level 6, and thankfully the floorwork is varied (not mostly in quadruped position, some side-lying, kneeling work) but I'm not sure if I'll be moving on to level 7 & finish the rotation. For me, the novelty of 20 mins of floor-work has definitely worn off, and I have felt frustrated that some of the exercises are mostly quadruped position (or start in quadruped and balance on one leg & arm) because it is not motivating (works the lower body) or even functional in movement patterns to be in those positions (but Tracy likely has it sequenced for balance & challenge). But I think some of the positions can aggravate people's knees because even w/ an arm to balance, the load is primarily on the knee because of the other leg moving (not equal load even if you are not heavy or in good shape). It makes me think that Tracy could have sequenced those early on, or not at all, some of the exercises seem to have a low benefit/high risk ratio.

I also really dislike how Tracy did not include verbal cues for the second side of floorwork (that would not have been difficult or costly to do), it's annoying to have to watch the screen for her cues. So I just rewind the workout so that I can hear the verbal cues (thanks to the VFers who recommended that), but I think for what the program costs, she could have included that.

After 50+ days of Meta, I still think that her cool-downs (consist of a few stretches) are a waste of time, she clearly did not put much thought into those (better off skipping & doing your own). And I don't like the standing abs, every level has had the same feel (even though it's a bit different variation of ribcage or hip isolations). I like the Meta cardio, and this likely to not using it daily.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 05:17 PM  
Honeydew

well I have a huge dread factor and I never made it past level 1! I keep saying I"m going to start a new rotation but then I never do...I don't know it just doesn't seem fun even though I know i get good results in my upper body and abs. since you made it this far I'd keep going! or maybe take a week off and do something else, but maybe if you aren't getting the results that you desire, maybe you should move on to something else that won't have such a huge dread factor. ???
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 05:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

When it was first out, I started Omni and got to level 4 or 5 and packed it in. As you mention, I developed dread for it. I've just recently started in again and I'm taking a sort of lax approach to it in hopes that I don't develop dread. First off, I don't necessarily do it every day, though I am in the stage where I'm sort of "craving it". But maybe more importantly, I don't do all the reps on the legs. I was probably one of the ones who suggested rewinding for the second side because that's how I did it and definitely suggested it here somewhere. This time I've changed it up even more.... I start the phase with only 20 reps each side, and I go immediately to the second side while she's still finishing up her second half of the 40 reps on the first side. This way, I have less dread, I don't have to rewind, and I'm suddenly done, to boot! I have, as the phase progresses, decided to up it to 30 per side (depending on the move -- you know she has some where she does less than 40 anyway because it's a multiple-move move). In that case, I just pause to finish up the reps before the next move. I imagine Tracy might not like this approach, but given that so far it's keeping me from the dread, I don't care! And, this way I have extra time for a second type of workout each day.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 06:16 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Meta has huge dread for me. I'm only on level 2, but I'm not sure how long I'm going to last. I don't mind that it's hard. I like hard workouts, but it's just not fun...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 07:35 PM  
cpcathy

I had a huge dread factor with this program and I only did about half the first workout twice! That's really bad, I think I was just intimidated about how tough it seems. I'm going to not worry about doing this and do workouts I enjoy and really get my stamina back by January, if all goes well!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 07:47 PM  
CindyC923

Hi,

I get to bored doing just meta hip workouts so I also do PD 2 and 3, mat and P/P in place of it. I am on level 4 in meta and it is getting more interesting and challenging in the lower body work but I don't to meat 6 days a week, more like 3 and use other TAs the other 2 or 3 days. I use my laptop on the floor so I don't strain my neck looking up all the time. Like the original message said, there could and should have been cueing for both legs, not just the first side. I need more cueing for the second side because I am more tired and apt to slack off if the small details are not mentioned. I do like not having tight painful muscles after TA workouts. I do have soreness but not stiffness like I had been having before TA.

Cindy
CindyC923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 07:49 PM  
CindyC923

Hi,
I often switch sides too, usually when my working or support leg is killing me. I give that leg a break for about 5 or 10 reps then go back. This reduces dread for me too.

Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
When it was first out, I started Omni and got to level 4 or 5 and packed it in. As you mention, I developed dread for it. I've just recently started in again and I'm taking a sort of lax approach to it in hopes that I don't develop dread. First off, I don't necessarily do it every day, though I am in the stage where I'm sort of "craving it". But maybe more importantly, I don't do all the reps on the legs. I was probably one of the ones who suggested rewinding for the second side because that's how I did it and definitely suggested it here somewhere. This time I've changed it up even more.... I start the phase with only 20 reps each side, and I go immediately to the second side while she's still finishing up her second half of the 40 reps on the first side. This way, I have less dread, I don't have to rewind, and I'm suddenly done, to boot! I have, as the phase progresses, decided to up it to 30 per side (depending on the move -- you know she has some where she does less than 40 anyway because it's a multiple-move move). In that case, I just pause to finish up the reps before the next move. I imagine Tracy might not like this approach, but given that so far it's keeping me from the dread, I don't care! And, this way I have extra time for a second type of workout each day.
CindyC923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 08:21 PM  
sunnyside

I started listening to the Pandora app. stations and it's made a huge difference. Stations that work well are: Grace Potter and the nocturnals, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raite, Todd Snyder, Steve Earle. The michael jackson station is great for the cardio, as well as some of Pandoras own cardio workout stations.

I'm also only doing the levels 6 times instead of 10. That way, every Monday I start a new level. Something to look forward too.

I rewind for the second leg to get the cues and I use a hand mirror on the floor to face the tv. This way I can really get in to my own choice of music and the moves without to much irritation.
sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 08:59 PM  
MARIKA

I have many issues concerning Tracy, alot of which were mentioned. I really hate when she says arabesque but she is clearly doing a donkey kick. The only thing that kept me going was that my abs look awesome, if it wasn't for that I don't know if I would have kept it up. try doing each workout 5 times instead of 10. Plus I look at it as only 30 min, put some headphones on w/ your favorite tunes and change your muscular structure!
Old 10-02-11, 11:50 PM  
edensmom

Two times I started Meta Hipcentric and I just couldn't make it very far. I don't like doing the same workout every day for 10 days. Tracy is really creative and great at designing workouts but IMO not so great at leading them due to an almost complete lack of cueing. Although I think it would be difficult to cue many of her moves as they are very non-traditional. It was pretty easy to memorize the floor work and complete my reps. Once I had the leg work memorized I could just turn off the tv (which the family appreciated) and just do 30 reps of each exercise on each leg. As has been mentioned, there isn't a cool down to speak of so skipping it wasn't a big deal. But I just didn't find the workouts very fun. No real dread, actually, due to the short length of the workout. But some of her moves left me feeling like an idiot as well and/or had a learning curve, neither of which is my favorite thing. It remains to be seen if I can stick with this program.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, metamorphosis, ta metamorphosis, tracy anderson, tracy anderson meta