Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-13, 03:01 PM  
Candiceena

What do you wear to workout at home and how do you organize it?

Hi girls!

I'm a big fan of reading blogs and surfing pinterest and the like - and so I see a lot of images of super-cute workout gear that's all matchy-matchy and girly and cute. And some of it is EXPENSIVE (to me, at least).

Also, since starting TA, I have found myself wanting to wear more girly/pink/sparkly cute workout wear. IDK why. I don't own anything like this but I have the urge to work out in it!

Anyway - I was wondering what everyone here wears when they workout. Do you coordinate workout outfits? Do you spend a lot on workout clothes - different color shoes, VS workout gear, lululemon workout gear, etc? Do you vary what you wear by the type of workout you're doing, etc?

And also - how do you organize your workout clothes? I have 5 or 6 sports bras and probaly 6 or 7 bottoms that I work out in. I don't usually wear shirts when I work out - just the bottoms (capris, shorts, or pants) plus a sports bra.

Just wanting to see what all the other VFers wear/do for organization.
Old 07-21-13, 03:41 PM  
wendy2

I used to buy a lot of my workout clothes at TJMaxx and Marshalls. At the time they had lots of name brand stuff, but cheaper. They might still--but I usually get my stuff at Target now. They have cute enough stuff, and since no one but my DH and I see it, it really doesn't need to be that cute...

I wear sports bras and skorts in the summer.

In the winter, depending on how cold it is in my basement where I work out, I usually wear a longer tank-like sprots bra, and layer workout t-shirts and sweatshirts on top. Sometimes my legs are super cold when I head down for the workout, but I'm not that likely to wear long workout pants because I can't stand to be hot and don't want to strip down in the middle of the workout. If I'm just doing a core or stretch workout, I'll put on longer pants (again, from Target) since I won't be getting so hot.

I'm a size small, and I can get away with the XL from the children's section of workout skorts at Target. Haven't tried the sports bras, but I may--they are quite a bit cheaper than the adult version. Just not sure if they'll be sized right, even though I've got next to nothing on top

In my closet I have a shelf/cubby with all of my sports bras on it. I have a basket on another shelf with my skorts, and I have a shelf/cubby with my long pants. I keep my workout socks in a clear rubbermaid storage container on a shelf. My workout t-shirts are on another shelf/cubby, and my shoes are on the floor of my closet away from my regular shoes.

I've found it's just not worth it to spend a ton of money on workout clothes. The Target stuff lasts me years and years. It's not dirt cheap (about 15-20 per bra) but it does go on sale.

I would feel like a dork if my outfits matched the instructor's outfit! I do love some of Cathe's outfits, but I don't plant to spend that much money ever, and I don't think they would look on me the way they do on her

Fun topic. I bet you'll get lots of responses, and hopefully some pictures
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 04:18 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post

I'm a size small, and I can get away with the XL from the children's section of workout skorts at Target. Haven't tried the sports bras, but I may--they are quite a bit cheaper than the adult version. Just not sure if they'll be sized right, even though I've got next to nothing on top

Fun topic. I bet you'll get lots of responses, and hopefully some pictures
I do this too! My favorite tanks are from the girls department at Walmart or Target. I usually wear a Large in the girls size because my torso is so short, (and I'm small breasted too). They are cheap, last forever and come in lots of cute colors. I get the stretchy cotton racerback tanks.

Underneath I wear a sports bra, but I'm a little more picky about those. Most of mine have come from SanDiegoFit.com.

My shorts are just short shorts of different brands. I like them stretchy and comfy. One of my fave brands for great shorts is Green Apple. I just picked up 3 pairs of them at Marshalls for $12.99 each.

I do like to match and wear cute colors, but I'm more interested in how something fits me than the colors. I want it to fit just so... no too long or baggy tanks, no baggy or too long shorts either. I'm pretty lucky in that I can wear any ol' sports bra. I go for the cute strappy ones because support isn't an issue.

I have two big drawers in my closet dedicated to workout clothing.

Here are the Green Apple Shorts. I love them. I run and work out in them!

Oh and almost forgot to mention my "favoritest" workout gear of all. My colorful running shoes! These are my Mizuno Wave Rider 16s.

Old 07-21-13, 04:20 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I wear the same as you: sports bra paired with shorts, capris or long/yoga pants, depending on the weather. I add a T for yoga/stretching workouts. I have one pair of running shoes, one pair of cross-trainers, and I wear them until replacement time. The furthest I go towards matchy-matchy is color-coordinating my anklet socks with the accent stripe on my bottoms, but that's only if I feel like it and both pieces are clean.

I have some great yoga pants from Old Navy, before they started making them with shinier material and a rolltop waistband, that are so worn they're almost heathered gray from their original black. The rest of my clothes are a mix of old and new pieces from Carushka, Old Navy, Athleta and the Champion catalog. I pay good money for my 32-34DD bras and snag most of the rest on sale.

All my stuff is in my bedroom clothes closet, bras and socks in one bin, bottoms and Ts stacked on shelves. I'm getting ready to relocate them to the small closet in my treadmill room to free up space.
Old 07-21-13, 05:46 PM  
lilmonkey2

I try to buy stuff on sale. I recently bought a few tanks from Lucy during a sale and I really like the quality of the fabric (one is the Crossback tank, and I want to get another one). I also bought two Brooks skorts, they have shorts underneath that don't ride up because they have silicone or something on the leg openings, and I really like them. They were $40 each, but they are getting a ton of use so I don't feel bad spending the money on them.

I also bought a performance T by Under Armor and I don't think I'll ever wear another cotton tshirt again for working out. (I sweat a lot!)

My main form of working out is walking right now, so I bought clothes that were comfortable so I wouldn't have any excuse not to do it. I've got my eye on two pairs of lined workout pants to get this fall so I can keep walking in the cold weather.

As far as organizing my workout clothes, I have a pile in one of my drawers for all the clothes so I always know where to find them.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 05:50 PM  
sherry7899

I guess I"m the cheap person here! I buy Danskin Now from Walmart (capri yoga pants or long shorts) and cheap t-shirts also from Walmart. I spend the most on good shoes. Those are more important to me. I don't have cute, coordinating outfits....I don't even need to wear a sports bra (ahem....) All my workout clothes are in a dresser drawer.

I'd rather spend the money on dvds (or books).

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:08 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I guess I"m the cheap person here! I buy Danskin Now from Walmart (capri yoga pants or long shorts) and cheap t-shirts also from Walmart. I spend the most on good shoes. Those are more important to me. I don't have cute, coordinating outfits....I don't even need to wear a sports bra (ahem....) All my workout clothes are in a dresser drawer.

Sherry
Me too! I get lots from Walmart, they have cute stuff for cheap! Shoes are most important anyways!
moonbeam31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:

Sherry
Sherry, you and I are on the same wavelength! I don't spend a lot on workout clothes either. I get my yoga pants & capris at Costco or at Winners (similar to your Ross or TJ Maxx) as they have a good selection of active wear. I have lots of t-shirts, some from events I attend and others from my or my DH's travels. My pants & capris are on a shelf in my closet and my t-shirts are in a drawer.
Good shoes are a must, I am picky about them! And I my large collection of workout dvds and yoga books.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:24 PM  
GotToBeFit

I was in a discount store and there was men's underwear. My thought was that they have an elastic band and cotton and a good length. These are what I've adopted as shorts to wear inside. I live alone and those that see me working out are family members so no big deal of how I look. The shorts/men briefs were like $4 for a pack of 3 or 4. My tops are sports bra with tshirt over.

I did recently join a gym so now I found myself trying to find more appropriate clothing.
Old 07-21-13, 06:36 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

Quote:

Sherry
Most of my stuff is from Kohl's when they have a sale, a 30% of coupon and Kohl's cash combined. This includes shoes. I have gotten a few pieces from Target when the Champion line goes on sale. I usually wear cami or tanks with built in bras with shorts or capris, or yoga pants depending on the weather. sometimes, I will throw a t-shirt on over top. Kohl's became my new best friend after I was divorced and needed to shop in more reasonable stores. I used to hit AnnTaylor Loft but could not longer afford that store. Old Navy also when they have sales, I have gotten some nice workout stuff. Is it matchy matchy....no, but it doesn't scream, I just rolled out of bed either ( especially if I am taking the workout outside).
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote