Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-14, 10:38 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm 60 (there; I said it). I've been lazy and very inconsistent with my strength workouts for at least a couple of years. I was all over the place - heavy, light, barre - you name it, I did it very inconsistently.

In January I started lifting heavy (for me) weights again (my own routine; not DVDs). I was amazed at how quickly the strength came back - even after all that time. Not fast, just faster than I expected. In January I could barely shoulder press 8 pounds. Now I'm doing 15. Same for biceps. Three weeks ago, I had to buy 20s for rows. I've been concentrating on upper body, so I can't comment on lower body. I've been doing tons of walking and that's good enough for me.

Last year I gave away my barbell, my heavier Bodybars and my 20# dumbbells assuming that I'd never use them again. Wrong! Be patient - it will come back!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 01:47 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

You guys inspire me! I still have all of my heavy weights, and barbell set...maybe I will get CLX back from DD for future use!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 11:20 AM  
Exercise Diva

I'm turning 50 this year and have found that I can work out heavy but I really have to warm up and going through joint mobility exercises first. No just jumping in any more. I also had an upper hamstring injury (do still as it's chronic but it's become manageable), and I caution you to really take care of that because it can become the injury that keeps on giving if you don't take it easy and rehab it properly. In addition to doing a lot of joint mobility exercises I also add in a lot of glute exercises now to fire up my glutes before I start lower body exercises. My point is you can continue to work out with intensity but the prep before exercise is more important than ever now.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 12:17 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I'm turning 50 this year and have found that I can work out heavy but I really have to warm up and going through joint mobility exercises first. No just jumping in any more. I also had an upper hamstring injury (do still as it's chronic but it's become manageable), and I caution you to really take care of that because it can become the injury that keeps on giving if you don't take it easy and rehab it properly. In addition to doing a lot of joint mobility exercises I also add in a lot of glute exercises now to fire up my glutes before I start lower body exercises. My point is you can continue to work out with intensity but the prep before exercise is more important than ever now.
Absolutely agree with previous posters, especially these comments. I'm 60 and, like Joni, had also been inconsistent with weights, but now I'm back to lifting heavy (for me) and am making progress. I also injured a hamstring two years ago, and it took a good six months of rest, gentle exercise, and PT before I could even do a Leslie walk again. It still flares up if I fail to stretch and warm up adequately before, say, a long hike.

Lately I've been doing Perfect Bum with Doug Robertson (a British series, free with Amazon Prime, although I ended up buying the series b/c I like it so much). While having PT, I learned that I have weak glutes and quads, so I'm hopeful this program will help. In fact, some of the exercises are the exact ones the physical therapist gave me. It's very slow and methodical, so more rehabilitative than an actual "workout"--at least in the beginning.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 01:44 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm 60 as well and I find that I can still lift heavy, but I have to be more careful in setting up the exercise (to make sure my alignment is good) and take longer rests, but I don't feel I've lost any strength.

Do you have the Firm Basics. I keep those on hand and I've used them to restart many a time.

If your joint problems continue, you might consider physical therapy. One thing about high rep workouts, is that they can wear down the cartilege in your joints even if you're just using light weights, because you bend the joints over and over again.
Old 04-24-14, 03:35 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Have you ever considered the ART Method? I think the type of exercises that Terri chooses are sustainable as you get older. Part of the reason is that it's meant to be fitness as a practice not just a temporary fitness system.

Some more info here - http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=195924

and the ART Method website - http://online-personaltraining-nyc.com/work-out-online/
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 05:54 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Hi Sherry, hope you find a strategy for getting back to where you want to be while working around the injury and knee issues.
A few years ago I made a move away from FIRMs, Cathe and such to a more personal trainer style with lighter weights. After a time I became irritated with more endurance and endless burpees. I went back to The FIRM and others and I realised just how much strength I had lost. Tracie Long FIRM Basics was my good place to start for weights.
I'm staying with heavier weights now although I'm not yet up to previous weight levels. I may not get there because my goal is to stay injury free at 57years and beyond. It feels better and right to have added more stretching to my routine too.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 06:56 AM  
ncl

I think ramping up slowly is key. I am 45 and have been injured for awhile (a long while!)….complicated rehab but finally able to do some workouts. I have been swimming and doing pilates for awhile so not actually nothing, but wow am I sore after what I would consider to be minimal workout now. I am definitely going to take it slow. I am also realizing I need to stretch more as I get older. I am the stretching queen now, usually getting about 30 minutes a day though not necessarily all at one time. I stretch multiple times in the day.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 03:40 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I do spend a lot of time warming up. When I developed tendonitis in my left ankle a few years ago, the dr. warned me that it is extremely important to warm up well before exercise. I also spend a lot of time stretching afterwards. I will do my own routine, a short yoga workout, or my favorite Slim and Limber. I am planning on taking it very slow building my weights back up.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, esther gokhale, injuries, modifying