Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-24, 08:12 AM  
JustSandra

Hi!

It was really nice to go to the gym again yesterday after a month away. If nothing else it was good to get out of the house. I used a stationary bike for 10 minutes and that was a challenge. Had to adjust it to accommodate my still limited ROM on my knee, then saw I couldn't pedal fast enough to make the control panel even come on. But that was fine, as I could feel how even the slow cycling action was beneficial to my knee. That realization made me bring out my home pedaler again! This time I set it up with a better chair (to fit the recumbent position I still need) and set it all atop an old yoga mat to eliminate scooting. I plan to alternate short cycling sessions with my little outside walks.

Linda: Hoping all goes well with your upcoming shoulder surgery. The recovery from the knee replacement has been more intense than I ever imagined. But I'm at the point where I can see the long-term benefit of having it done. Without the knee replacement I would otherwise be dealing with the limitations from the osteoarthritis for literally the rest of my life.

Colleen: Thanks for describing your exercise modifications due to the boot. I'm thinking about what I'll need to do when I get back to more traditional workouts, specifically with kneeling. I'm told kneeling is at least eventually possible after a TKR, but it sounds like it takes some work to get there! So ideas like using the high step to take part of the body weight are helpful.

Gale K: Congrats on your good lab results! I'm overdue on getting mine done -- a project for this summer. And besides my blood pressure numbers my primary doctor says it is time for another colonoscopy. Fun times!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 01:28 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Ballet Beautiful Backstage Outer Thigh segment
Blogilates 15 Minute Weightless Arms Workout

VF will be offline on Friday, April 5, 2024 for a software upgrade from 11a to 1p Pacific. I hope VF functions well after the software upgrade!

Sandra, thank you for making an April thread for us at VF Roost in case we need to post there.
Take it easy as you ease back into exercise.

Linda, I hope you have a successful, easy shoulder surgery.

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 10:59 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sandra - thanks. I wish surgery was tomorrow so I can heal and get my wrist done next. Or maybe the cataracts and then wrist? In a few more weeks you'll be good as new but it really does take a year to 18 months for everything to heal. It depends on what the metal portion of your knee is regarding kneeling. I can kneel just fine but I don't remember what my knee is made of. If I remember correctly it's hard to kneel on titanium knees because they're so hard. I can't do side-lying exercises on my replaced hip unless I do them on the bed. The floor with a mat is too hard.

Thanks Paine. The doctor says a reverse shoulder replacement is easier than a shoulder replacement. I hope he's right. Is everyone done with the stomach flu? I heard the norovirus is going around again.

TMI. Today I did some upper body exercises with very light weights. I did shoulder presses as best I could. Biceps curls were doable but triceps kickbacks I could feel and hear the ball of my shoulder sliding around in the socket. I don't know if that's from the torn rotator or the arthritis but it was very strange. And of course I pedalled Cubii. That thing is one of the best purchases I ever made.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-24, 07:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi everyone - a quick hello for the new month! I'm not caught up yet; I hope to check in further later.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-24, 08:20 AM  
cyana

A quick Happy Hump Day wave to everyone.

Good to have you back, Beth. I hope things went as well as possible with your dad.

Sandra
- When I first got Cubii, I found that having the right chair, sitting in the optimal position, etc., made a huge difference. And making sure Cubii didn't try to slide away.

Paine - Oh no on the shared stomach virus. Hopefully the guys are feeling much better now.

Linda - I hope your upcoming shoulder surgery goes well. I'm glad you recommended Cubii - I agree it was money well spent and the Costco version is built like a little tank. I saw someone on-line using one - a different model - and it didn't have the bells and whistles of the Costco version.

Colleen - You've reminded me that I need to dig out some of my R/A DVD's. I did some BOF (breath of fire) this AM and I frequently do the spine grinds as part of MSTF.

The return to work wasn't as painful as I'd feared, however I got a call from my boss, saying he and the other owner had signed a letter to sell the business, and they will remain to run that piece of the company. Never a dull moment. I think it's probably a good move overall, and doesn't change my ability to continue working full or part-time, or on an as needed basis.

Speaking of work, I need to get to it! Hope everyone has a great day.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-24, 09:39 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your comments. My lifestyle is not necessarily perfect by any means (I'm a girl that likes her wine). But it is encouraging that things are looking good.

Cyana
, the main nutritional change that I made is giving up dairy. It is supposed to contribute to the form of esophagitis that I have, so late last fall I gave it up. I'm not crazy about it, I have cheese once in a while, and I do occasionally consume foods with dairy in it, but it is not the norm. I do little gluten, though it is hard to be both dairy and gluten-free. I don't notice when I consume gluten, but I do with dairy, so I think that is my trigger. Also I'm just eating less but occasionally incorporating a small amount of chicken breast (if I prepare it) and salmon. I use a lot of clean plant based protein powder for smoothies as well.

I will be MIA more than usual...I have to take an urgent trip back to MI. My BIL has dementia, and had an event (probably a heart attack). 911 instructed my sister (who is 74) to start CPR, which she did, which resulted in her having a heart attack. My BIL is on a ventilator, and they are both in the same hospital. My sister's MI was mild and she will be ok. I don't think things are going to go well for my BIL so I am going back to support my sister and look in on my mom, who is going through a hard time herself. Will try to keep you posted--thank you for the support that I know you will offer!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-24, 09:48 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margaret's All My Best Volume 3 (Upper Body workout plus calves and abs)

Oh Gale, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and BIL! You are a good sister to go help her. She definitely needs you now and your mom will appreciate your visit too. I'm sending your BIL and sister healing thoughts!

Cyana, yes our grandsons are feeling much better now. So far, their parents are staying well (keeping my fingers crossed!).

Beth, I hope all went well with your trip and that your dad wasn't too upset with the move.
Old 04-03-24, 10:18 AM  
cyana

Gale - Huge (((hug))) to you. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. I've been contemplating doing a 30 day dairy-free challenge. I very rarely eat gluten.

Paine
- Hooray that your grandsons are feeling better. And that mom and dad have escaped becoming sick.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-24, 01:27 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

kat_b said today that she has to reschedule the maintenance for VF so VF won't be offline on Friday.
Old 04-03-24, 07:06 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Gale - So sorry to hear about your sister and BIL! (((hugs))) It's good that you can be with them.

Sandra - I'm actually kneeling on the full-size step so that the clunky walking boot can hang over the edge. I've seen the modification of using a High Step or chair to support the torso in some other workouts, and that might help with your knees. I remember from the Barlates Tighter Assets thread that one person couldn't do kneeling exercises and did standing versions of all of them, which would be a great idea if kneeling is still uncomfortable.

Linda - I hope you can get some relief from the shoulder pain while you're waiting for surgery.

Cyana - Breath of fire sounds like a good wake-up idea. I've been lazy about getting up since the stress fracture was diagnosed but I could at least sit up and do some breathing exercises!

Paine - I'm glad that your grandsons are feeling better, and thanks for the updates of VF maintenance.

2 Apr
AM
55' Barlates - Beginners Mat: Abs, Inner Thighs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=1ktvGF8SzB4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=SAtaDpeLuc4
PM
25' - YT Senior Shape: 15' Gentle Chair Yoga + Raviana Meditation: Third Eye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkYz...3_EIhA&index=3

3 Apr
AM
30' Barlates - Beginners Mat: Outer Thighs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=eLwAUp0FvU0
PM
35' - YT Senior Shape: Energizing Chair Yoga Flow + Raviana Meditation: All and Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBD...3_EIhA&index=5

The Beginners Mat series is working well with the walking boot, so I'm happy to have more workouts that I can do. I'm grateful for the chair yoga practices, and I plan to keep doing them while I'm in the boot. There are some stretches that don't work as well for me in the chair (especially hamstrings) so I'll start adding some floor practices back in.

I'll probably go through the Raviana meditations in order. I'd done these a long time ago but didn't take notes. I liked the first meditation on the DVD, but I didn't like the next two as much. The explanations didn't flow as well and sometimes they'd talk when silence would be better. Today I was trying to stretch my breath long while counting a mantra 16 times and every once in a while Ravi would blurt out "focus" or "concentrate" which made it harder to do those things!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote