Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-02, 09:54 AM  
Debbie B.

Smile Pilates Fans - Pick the Top Five Must Have Pilates Videos

Hi!
Can everybody tell what new fitness craze has captured my immediate attention? ( )

Sooooo, since I'm relatively new to the world of Pilates, I'm relying on all you veterans out there to give your choices for the top 5 (or 6 or 7 ) "must have" Pilates workout videos. Which ones do you enjoy the most, which ones do you think have made the most changes in your body, and maybe a brief description.

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear everyone's top 5 list ... and my credit card is ready to be smoking yet AGAIN!

Thanks gals!

Debbie
Debbie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 10:11 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

I had a couple Method tapes, but really didn't get into Pilates until I bought the Pilates for Dummies DVD. It has two complete workouts on it. I really enjoyed the pace and the instruction. I would say Pilates for Dummies is a must have for anyone interested in trying Pilates. I think this DVD is available at bestprices.com for about $9.00.

I recently bought the Hilary Burnett workouts off eBay. I've done the Intermediate workout and really like it too. Hilary is very calming and the set is absolutely gorgeous!
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 10:14 AM  
Stephanie_B

Out of all the ones I've tried

I really like Moira Stott's best; however, she can be a little dry and that can be off putting. Out of the Method series Precision Toning I liked, I didn't care for any of the new ones that Jennifer put out this year, but that's just me. Winsor's are getting positive reviews, so those are something to look into.

OOOH yeah I like the one that is done by the people who do the "big ball" workouts...Yoga Zone I think is the name. I did it a few times last year and enjoyed it.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 10:33 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Fit and Flexible

It really depends on your personality. When I started with Pilates I wanted to learn it properly so I started with Fit & Flexible from balancedbody.com. This tape is long and full of instruction, but you will get a good grounding in Pilates' mat technique.

I also liked Precision Toning and Stott, but again these tapes take some time.
Old 05-31-02, 11:30 AM  
nd2325

The winsor set!
Method Precision Toning
Method Target Specifics
nd2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 11:57 AM  
Lisa :o)
VF Supporter

Talking Hilary, Hilary, HILARY!!

Hi~

I had to chime in and say that I have really become hooked on the Hilary Burnett Mind Body Mat videos. I have other pilates videos but I just cannot stop myself for always going to the Hilary Intermed. one. I have been doing this video 2-3x/wk since the end of March and I still am not sick of it. I ordered the Winsor set but have yet to actually do them except for the Bun and Thigh one last night. I need to go back and try Precision Toning again and Stott to see if they are more interesting to me now. I will soon...........

Lisa
Lisa :o) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 12:25 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Re: Hilary, Hilary, HILARY!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa )
Hi~

I had to chime in and say that I have really become hooked on the Hilary Burnett Mind Body Mat videos. I have other pilates videos but I just cannot stop myself for always going to the Hilary Intermed. one. I have been doing this video 2-3x/wk since the end of March and I still am not sick of it. I ordered the Winsor set but have yet to actually do them except for the Bun and Thigh one last night. I need to go back and try Precision Toning again and Stott to see if they are more interesting to me now. I will soon...........

Lisa
Wow Lisa, 2-3 times a week for two months? What type of results are you seeing from that type of consistency? Have you noticed any changes? Are you doing this in addition to your regular workouts, or are you replacing workouts with Pilates?

Whoa! Lots of questions there...
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 03:59 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

My favorites

Living Arts Beginner's Mat (for the first 30 sessions, because you will outgrow this)
Living Arts Intermediate Mat
New Method 3D Toning (for "lighter" days)
New Method Perfect Mix (for more challenging days- I really love Jennifer Kries)

.... and I don't really have a fifth yet. I have some other tapes, but I don't know if they deserve a place on my list just yet.

HTH,
Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-02, 04:15 PM  
Lydia L
VF Supporter

My favorite pilates

Caban's Living Arts Intermediate Mat-- I loved her laid back have fun with me attitude... she does provide good instruction. I really liked her Beginner workout.
Stott's Intermediate Pilates 2nd Edition-- Excellant instruction... liked the routine as well.
Polestar Intermediate Pilates--- great imagery and relaxing atttitude but you still get a great workout.
Burnett Intermediate Mind and Body Matt Work-- yowsa.... challenging!
Method: All in One (Centering Makeover segment)--- loved this routine as it really focuses on the abs and back... very challenging toward the end... I enjoy the dowel work... I use my 2 foot body bar.
Voight Pilates(Body Reform): Abs & Back--- great workout... I enjoy Voight's style...
Voight Total Body Pilates ( legs emphasis)--- a killer workout for your inner thighs uses the circle ( ring).

I know you only asked for 5--- but I really like all these a lot.
I have Precision Toning but haven't tried it yet.

If you are a beginner to pilates Caban, Stott, Burnett and Polestar all have Beginner videos which provide excellent instruction... I also liked the instruction in Kries Method... 3 Dimensional Toning.
Old 05-31-02, 05:17 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

don't have 5!

I am not a lover of Pilates, but I like what it has done for me and have the same choices as Tami - Pilates for Dummies and Hilary Burnett's Intermediate Mind-Body Mat vid. Both have workouts that are about 25 min (and the Dummies DVD has a bonus intermediate workout).

I also have Stott's Beginning Matwork 2nd ed which is okay but I can't usually make myself do Pilates for an hour. I like the Sisters' Power Mat Science but as others have pointed out they don't demonstrate the best form. Finally, I like the Abs section from Method Target Specifics.

I didn't really care for June Kahn's Methodology or Laurie Tuchman's Evolved Matwork. Neither one was bad, but just not fun for me.